Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'm actually more surprised the Islanders are giving up the two upgrades in return for a 3rd rounder.

Likely negligible to gain a full extra pick. But this trade seems odd all around.

EDIT: I misread it. I thought it was 81st overall, not 61st. Makes a lot more sense now for the Isles.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Have to think there is something more to it. Otherwise, it's seems completely random.

Edit: my guess is that Lou needs the second round pick for a deal he is cooking.

Yeah, looking dispassionately at the transaction, the 2nd. 2nd. rounder looks like the value.

Moving 2 spots this far away from a draft ... would anyone have intel that someone is picking the guy at 19 that you are targetting?

So Islanders needed that 2nd. for the marner deal? marner is going to sign with the guy who refused to give him bonuses? :biglaugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They showed the second goal again. My goodness that Lafferty turnover was worse than I thought. Tried to make a move inside the blueline instead of playing it safe

Stone hands Mikheyev could have been the difference maker on that partial break and deke to the net in the 1st. Canucks’ ex-Leafs parts were undone by ex-Leafs Ceci and Hyman. Ouch.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm actually more surprised the Islanders are giving up the two upgrades in return for a 3rd rounder.

Likely negligible to gain a full extra pick. But this trade seems odd all around.

EDIT: I misread it. I thought it was 81st overall, not 61st. Makes a lot more sense now for the Isles.

Ironically a very Dubas' like strategy lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs fans more irate than ever with Kyle Dubas over Zach Hyman ordeal

Zach Hyman is having an incredible playoffs performance this year, which has fans in Toronto cursing Kyle Dubas' name all over again.

Hyman picked up his playoff leading 12th goal last night, and also picked up an assist, which puts him at 15 points this post season. Not only is he the playoff goals leader, he is currently tied for 6th for most points in these playoffs as well.

The Toronto native is coming off a dominant year where he put up a staggering 54 goals, in the regular season, but it's not his regular season that has fans of the Maple Leafs down. It's his performance in the playoffs in comparison to
ALL the underachieving Leafs.

Reactions: PromisedLand

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I wish he was more proactive the other way and burned a pick or two over the years to move up instead of constantly trading down. Surely there had to be better players to be had 4 to 6 picks higher had he used an extra pick later on to accomplish it.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Lou Lamoriello once traded down from 11th to 20th in the 1990 draft with Calgary. He sent second round pick out as well but got 2 seconds back for his troubles.

This allowed Calgary to move up to select goalie of the future Trevor Kidd while New Jersey fell back and took Martin Brodeur.

Whatever Kyle is dreaming up, Lou has probably already done better in real life.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Zach Hyman is having an incredible playoffs performance this year, which has fans in Toronto cursing Kyle Dubas' name all over again.

Hyman picked up his playoff leading 12th goal last night, and also picked up an assist, which puts him at 15 points this post season. Not only is he the playoff goals leader, he is currently tied for 6th for most points in these playoffs as well.

The Toronto native is coming off a dominant year where he put up a staggering 54 goals, in the regular season, but it's not his regular season that has fans of the Maple Leafs down. It's his performance in the playoffs in comparison to

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 2.37.55 PM.png

Are people upset we don't have the Toronto level of production? That's what he did here.

For whatever reason he was terrible here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Kyle was/is such a fraud.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Is it revisionism if you argued we’d regret losing Hyman when we did? To me he was the casualty of Dubas over paying the RFA’s, shave a little off those contracts, suddenly you can keep a heart and soul Hyman.
Hyman was worth resigning, but Dubas only wanted marquee players making good money, might be his stupidest move letting him walk. “We can’t and we won’t…….”

The whole thing is the three stooges fault. Shanny Dubbie and Keefe. 2 down
Yes……

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I’d love to hear Shanahan’s take on letting Hyman walk……..

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I have to admit I thought Edmonton overpaid Hyman. I also don't think Hyman is really any different from the player he was when he left the Leafs. But boy has he been a great fit with the Oilers. Likeable guy all around.

Reactions: HolyCrap

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It was cool to see Hyman's counterstrike, run and gun in Edmonton as that's something Toronto has none of, and hasn't had since Kessel played here. Zach is able to keep up, for the most part, with McDavid, no small feat.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I have to admit I thought Edmonton overpaid Hyman. I also don't think Hyman is really any different from the player he was when he left the Leafs. But boy has he been a great fit with the Oilers. Likeable guy all around.
Hyman’s the exact dame player he was here, only guy that played with heart…….

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I thought Bunting was a pretty good recovery by Dubas for losing Hyman. Dubas screwed up so much, but signing Hyman into his mid 30s at $5.5, that was a hard sell for me.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner gets run out of town.... four years later, leads the NHL in scoring in the playoffs, wins MVP, and LeafsNation on hfBoards goes nuts being mad at management for trading him. Always mad at the past.....
FYI

Hyman has scored 12 goals in the 2024 playoffs vs. Mitch Marner who has scored 11 goals total after 8 playoff years.

1716594084057.png

The reason Hyman is so successful is that he lives in the blue paint in front of the opposition net, is a tireless worker giving 100% effort and plays in traffic and hits and wins physical puck battles because he is built for dump and chase hockey.. The run and gun regular season Leafs will never fear Marner will turn into a strong physical player that crashes the net and battles big dmen while taking physical abuse to do so.

The other reason Hyman is so successful on the NHL's #1 PP unit is Edmonton is because HE is on it and leads it in goals. On a Dubas built overspending on the core 4 (eating up 1/2 your cap) how would Hyman with Zero PP minutes/time with Matthews--Marner- Tavares--Nylander & Reilly playing the #1 PP for 1 minute 20 each time, be able to do what he is in Edmonton with smart management using him to his strengths. Edmonton is getting it all for $5 mil cap per ear and Leaf Nation always screams for secondary scoring needed in Toronto but then lets players like Hyman walk because $5 mil is too much combined with the core 4 cost up front.

Marner is a soft perimeter player that struggles come playoff time because the opposition collapses down low, blocks passing lanes and takes away Marner's biggest points weapons his goal scoring teammates, because Marner stats rely on others putting the puck in the net for him to have an impact statistically.
Where is Marner on another team going to get to play with Auston Matthews the best pure goal scorer in the league to inflate his point totals for him?

Auston Matthews has scored 69 regular season goals and 1 playoff goal for 70 totals this year .. Hyman has scored 54 regular season goals and 12 playoff goals (and counting) for 66 goals total and closing in on Matthews, now only 4 total goals less then Leafs Rocket RIchard winner..

You're comparing Hyman to the wrong Maple Leafs player its not Marner its Matthews that most closely aligns with what Zach is doing this year.

Perhaps your better arguement would be that Matthews Leaf production would suffer and drop if the Leafs traded Marner away and that is why Leafs might miss him most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad