Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Nothing like having to throw a body check after you score an empty net goal. We need more play like that.

A really dirty player but effective...he gave a shadow elbow (to avoid ref detection) to Zibanejad's face while fighting for the puck before he scored.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
A really dirty player but effective...he gave a shadow elbow (to avoid ref detection) to Zibanejad's face while fighting for the puck before he scored.
He’s so tough that players feel his elbow without him even throwing it. I can’t remember the last time I verbally cheered when someone scored a goal, but I let out a whoop when Bennett scored that EN goal.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Panthers are not quite the Lightning, but they play the right way, hard, tough, clean, hockey.

Reactions: bax

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Makes the success of him and the Panthers feel worse. A team of douchebags and dirtbags but they're dominant. We'll see if the Rangers have any fortitude and manage to bring it back home for Game 7.
The Bennett trade should be an example of what the Leafs should be trying to do. Forget the 34 UFAs who are ending their career and find a 24 yo that’s has talent and is hungry.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Clean? That's highly debatable. But I am no master debater . Florida definitely are a respectable team. Old school in your face hockey is a treat to watch.

I can't think of any Stanly Cup or contending team last 30 years that wasn't a bit dirty

Even the last Leafs that was anything close to competing team we had questionable players and style

Gary Robarts was anything but clean if you went to the corners with him

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I can't think of any Stanly Cup or contending team last 30 years that wasn't a bit dirty

Even the last Leafs that was anything close to competing team we had questionable players and style

My favorites were Markov and Yushkevich. They don't make em like that anymore. We could use players like that on the current team. The right mix of physical and crazy.

Random fact. I went to High School with Gary Roberts nephew. He would never stfu about him. "Well Uncle Gary said ..."

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Makes the success of him and the Panthers feel worse. A team of douchebags and dirtbags but they're dominant. We'll see if the Rangers have any fortitude and manage to bring it back home for Game 7.
I don't know why, but I just hate that player (Bennett). I think it's the quiet demeanor he displays as he commits his savage acts. It gives him a psychopathic vibe.

I would love it if Rempe gave him a massive, one-sided, unprovoked beating to please the fans. He can take the suspension. It's not like Rempe really needed or anything.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

You have to be able to go right to that line, and even then push it a little more. Your stars need that edge as well. Crosby, Malkin, Marchand, not saints by any means and will do what they have too. Our stars want to play like it’s an international tournament.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't know why, but I just hate that player (Bennett). I think it's the quiet demeanor he displays as he commits his savage acts. It gives him a psychopathic vibe.

I would love it if Rempe gave him a massive, one-sided, unprovoked beating to please the fans. He can take the suspension. It's not like Rempe really needed or anything.
Then you’d have to hate Rempe.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Anybody else get Marner vibes when they watch Panarin in this series and playoffs in general?

Fancy dancing is fine in the regular season but when it is go time, players like Marner, Panarin, Petey, Hubie and Johnny Hockey are easily neutered.

I’d rather watch Bennett and Benn beat each other around for 7 games.
Benn looks rejuvenated playing with Johnston and Stankoven.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Bennett trade should be an example of what the Leafs should be trying to do. Forget the 34 UFAs who are ending their career and find a 24 yo that’s has talent and is hungry.

Let's not forget that Bennett was coming off of 12 and 27 point seasons, and had 12 points in 38 games when traded. All at the low, low price of $4.425 million.

I can only imagine, if the Leafs traded for a guy who hadn't put up more than 27 points in a few years, and had a cap hit like that. It was a risk move, that paid off for the Panthers, but most often, that doesn't work out. His career and reputation was trending downward, the talent and hunger was very much a question mark at that point, he was a very inconsistent player, who showed the opposite of hunger.

Bennett was traded, as he had become a major disappointment, and was likely not going to be protected in the Seattle expansion.

Now, I have suggested a number of times, going after players in similar positions... players who showed quite a bit, then disappointed, or who weren't growing at expected rates... guys like Comtois and Peeke.... low cost, low risk players.... Comtois really didn't show much last year at all... but then the cost was low for Carolina, and you don't know if he'll rebound.

For every winning story... you get more losing stories, like Puljujarvi... a guy who was drafted high, and can't put it together.

Similar draft pedigree, guys who aren't doing well include Kotkaniemi... who might be bought out, or Barrett Hayton.... Maybe even Liam Foudy...

Reactions: Metroid

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You have to be able to go right to that line, and even then push it a little more. Your stars need that edge as well. Crosby, Malkin, Marchand, not saints by any means and will do what they have too. Our stars want to play like it’s an international tournament.

This year WC was surprisingly physical. It's not NHL playoffs, but I'd say more physical than usual, despite the bigger ring.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Back in 2021 I was saying we should go for Sam Bennett (and Corey Perry) but the organization was in its virtuous phase at the time. Bennett has a playoff breakout of sorts around then for Calgary but was still terrible in the regular season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Too bad he was too tough, couldn't do the splits and triple loop, so Dubas didn't trade for him...:sarcasm:
Sure... it was because he was too tough..

Not because we didn't have the cap room, to spend $4.425 million, on a guy coming off consecutive 12 and 27 point seasons, criticized for a lack of consistency and effort.

Revisionist history is awesome.

FWIW... I kind of wanted to get him at the time too.... but he was a massive risk, with a bloated contract at the time... I mean, that's just the reality of it.

Reactions: ruaware41

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Sure... it was because he was too tough..

Not because we didn't have the cap room, to spend $4.425 million, on a guy coming off consecutive 12 and 27 point seasons, criticized for a lack of consistency and effort.

Revisionist history is awesome.

FWIW... I kind of wanted to get him at the time too.... but he was a massive risk, with a bloated contract at the time... I mean, that's just the reality of it.

Dubas takes risks too, the bad kind...Kadri for Kerfoot and Barrie was bad...signing Mrazek for term was bad, and trading for Murray when he's washed up is also bad...Marchment for Malgin too? 1st for Foligno when we know he had an injury? List goes on and on.

Reactions: ruaware41

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dubas takes risks too, the bad kind...Kadri for Kerfoot and Barrie was bad...signing Mrazek for term was bad, and trading for Murray when he's washed up is also bad...Marchment for Malgin too? 1st for Foligno when we know he had an injury? List goes on and on.
All that is kind of irrelevant here... this wasn't a indictment on Dubas necessarily, or a need to grade every move, this was a discussion on Bennett.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
All that is kind of irrelevant here... this wasn't a indictment on Dubas necessarily, or a need to grade every move, this was a discussion on Bennett.

You said there was a massive risk in taking Bennett...every trade has a risk...obviously Dubas' risk appetite and philosophy in team building is different, but many of the risks he took were wrong and clouded by his philosophy.

Reactions: ToneDog

Glacious

Dec 28, 2009

Jamie Benn is similar. Does the dirtiest shit while maintaining this blank almost soulless gaze. Even in interviews he comes off very coldly to me. Strong psycho vibes.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad