Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Another one

It's like the two years of college, no AHL, develop and contribute simultaneously and then sign the big extension model which teams are using, actually works.

But what do we know, we are just messageboard posters questioning "professionals"

Seattle bet big on him, 37 points.....7 million a year for the next 7....be interesting to see how that pans out of them, Beniers was awful last year.....

Reactions: stlwahoo

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Quick was not traded to free up a spot for a younger player or to get younger, he was a throw in to make the trade work financially, same with Iafallo.
Quick didn’t need to be moved to fit Gavrikov and Korpisalo under the cap. Benefit of the doubt would say Blake was clearing space for another trade that just didn’t materialize. But considering his only move afterwards was acquiring a useless MacEwen which created even more cap space and knowing what we now know about this front office, I don’t think simple incompetence and lack of cap savvy can be ruled out.

Anyhow, Quick got out of this dumpster fire before it imploded, got his name on the Cup for doing nothing, and revived his career since then so it all worked out in the end.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Quick didn’t need to be moved to fit Gavrikov and Korpisalo under the cap. Benefit of the doubt would say Blake was clearing space for another trade that just didn’t materialize. But considering his only move afterwards was acquiring a useless MacEwen which created even more cap space and knowing what we now know about this front office, I don’t think simple incompetence and lack of cap savvy can be ruled out.

Anyhow, Quick got out of this dumpster fire before it imploded, got his name on the Cup for doing nothing, and revived his career since then so it all worked out in the end.
If they bring in Korpisalo then the correct thing was to move Quick because they’d either have to waive him or carry 3 goaltenders. On form he would have been 3rd choice so it made absolute sense to trade him. He would not have been remotely happy as the 3rd choice.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
If they bring in Korpisalo then the correct thing was to move Quick because they’d either have to waive him or carry 3 goaltenders. On form he would have been 3rd choice so it made absolute sense to trade him. He would not have been remotely happy as the 3rd choice.
He wasn't going to accept splitting time with Petersen when it was time either, and that ended up damaging that young man's career.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
He wasn't going to accept splitting time with Petersen when it was time either, and that ended up damaging that young man's career.
Double edged sword to Quick's competitiveness. Would be very curious to hear what goaltender partners - esp younger ones like Cal - actually thought of him while paired with him in LA.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Double edged sword to Quick's competitiveness. Would be very curious to hear what goaltender partners - esp younger ones like Cal - actually thought of him while paired with him in LA.
Nobody that competitive, and I include Doughty as well, will ever accept a lesser role when they feel that they still have rubber on their tires.

It's up to the grown ups in the front office to make those tough decisions, but that is the crux of the problems here. Our management were part of the boys in the room, and they have consistently erred on the side of the players instead of the side of the organization.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Seems like he has been a great back up and vet outside of LA
Different scene, different standing in the organisation etc. A change of scenery was needed and perhaps that would have been needed no matter who the coach/management were. We will never know.

Quick’s legacy is set in stone and is one of the best to never win (and robbed of) the Vezina.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
He was very average in Vegas and only lasted 10 games.

Quick will always be one of our greats, and I am glad he found a home in NY. But I can still admit objectively that he was a liability towards the end.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
456203870_915136897322629_5309454416230319650_n.jpg

Edit:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/us/nhl/news-definitely-not-look-hurt-slow-nhl-fans-react-ryan-johansen-s-agent-issues-statement-post-contract-termination-flyers?key4=sknhlfb&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

"Can’t believe the flyers would try to get rid of him during his trials and tribulations. He definitely did NOT look hurt or slow or anything wrong at all while he was on the Avs," one fan on Reddit sarcastically commented.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I hope he smacked the ice cream cone out of his hands and gave him atomic wedgies on the daily

probably threw pucks past his glove hand in the locker room

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Different scene, different standing in the organisation etc. A change of scenery was needed and perhaps that would have been needed no matter who the coach/management were. We will never know.

Quick’s legacy is set in stone and is one of the best to never win (and robbed of) the Vezina.
It is crazy that he never won a Vezina.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Seems like he has been a great back up and vet outside of LA
It was well documented that he got to New York and the staff there made adjustments to the way he played. Those adjustments needed to happen for him to stay in the league.
Quick had to leave LA to be faced with that scenario, and that's also why he saw the resurgence in performance in New York but not Vegas.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

He was also willing to change his game and work on being less aggressive in net. Read somewhere the goalie coach in NY really helped him get it going again.

Reactions: VILARGOD

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Ouch, brutal break for UM, another 11th hour loss. I was hoping the Jets were going to wait until the deadline, but this is a nice return for them considering the circumstances.

I do find it funny how my opinion on the player has never changed, but in the matter of less than a year, I went from arguing with Jets fans that he wasn't going to be a 1st line star, to now arguing with some of those same fans that he isn't an overrated cancer with limited upside. As we saw with some people here with Faber, it's amazing what simply switching teams can do for someones outlook on a player.

He will be a valuable asset for the Pens, the type of guy who can be slotted into a lot of different roles throughout the lineup, he has enough skill that you can play him as the third forward on a 1st line and he will be an excellent compliment to star players, or you can play him on the third line and he's going to simply be better than checkers that teams use against him.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Pens are still a mess. Dubas made two good trades recently, besides that, all his other moves are baffling. Besides Glass and McGroarty, he has been trading for older players.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Huh.

Like, on one hand, Lou is a dinosaur and I expect nothing less

but...i dont remember Duclair having dreads until this last year or two, so I have a tough time buying into it being a huge deal to him, plus he signed there...

It's ALL just speculation though, but the optics do suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad