Around the league part 2

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't think Bowman is the main person to blame in Chicago, and if Kennedy endorses it than who am i to say otherwise. His word means more than mine.

It is fitting he goes to edmonton. Did they not give Virtanen another shot? My guess is Carter Hart ends up an oiler.

Which is kind of the problem with the original suspensions. If any of those suspended actually cared or learned anything from what happened in Chicago they would never have anything to do with NHL players again.

None of those involved cared about Kyle Beach when they knew what was going on back in 2010. They only cared once "we" ie the public knew what happened.
In my opinion, you don't get to come back from that. You've already proven the kind of person you are.
Bowman (although GM) was a first year employee whose boss told him he would handle it. Even so Bowman has admitted he should have done more, and seems to actually have put the work in to learn from this. I hate the oilers, but I think Bowman is good to be back in the league.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Bowman can get f***ed, he's trash. At least this really hurts one of our most bitter rivals, I'm sure he'll be making dumb moves in no time. He completely botched Chicago's Cup winning roster that Tallon painstakingly built. All Edmonton had to do was stay the course with the competent management they already had. Hiring this clown makes the Oilers somehow even more unlikable.

Last edited:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I don't think Bowman is the main person to blame in Chicago, and if Kennedy endorses it than who am i to say otherwise. His word means more than mine.

It is fitting he goes to edmonton. Did they not give Virtanen another shot? My guess is Carter Hart ends up an oiler.

Bowman (although GM) was a first year employee whose boss told him he would handle it. Even so Bowman has admitted he should have done more, and seems to actually have put the work in to learn from this. I hate the oilers, but I think Bowman is good to be back in the league.
Again, he "put the work in" after it came out and he done nothing for years. He only regretted it after he got caught, and I don't respect that. Especially given what he knew.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't have a problem with it, but I would have preferred to see him start at the bottom and work his way up.

Purely from a business/optics standpoint, I don't get it. You're just creating a distraction and controversy. Also, they made the hire when there's literally no other news so the entire hockey media is going to focus on this now. Dumb IMO.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don’t know how you guys end up caring about the stupid hirings in the NHL with teams that have nothing to do with your team. I am not even that old and the only thing I really give a shit about nowadays is about grocery prices and gas prices. I used to be altruistic but it’s way too much energy for stuff that has nothing to do with me.

Get yourself a nice ice cream, chill with the family, and enjoy your day with the people who matters. The more and more you detach yourself with random bullshit that doesn’t affect you the happier you will be. Even the thread on Nationals people are being so emotional for a team that has nothing to do with them and people who don’t even know they exist. There’s no point. I hate the Kings more than enough and I probably shouldn’t even be getting this pissed either over my own team.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don’t know how you guys end up caring about the stupid hirings in the NHL with teams that have nothing to do with your team. I am not even that old and the only thing I really give a shit about nowadays is about grocery prices and gas prices. I used to be altruistic but it’s way too much energy for stuff that has nothing to do with me.

Get yourself a nice ice cream, chill with the family, and enjoy your day with the people who matters. The more and more you detach yourself with random bullshit that doesn’t affect you the happier you will be. Even the thread on Nationals people are being so emotional for a team that has nothing to do with them and people who don’t even know they exist. There’s no point. I hate the Kings more than enough and I probably shouldn’t even be getting this pissed either over my own team.

I wouldn't conflate forum commentary with someone literally pacing around their room angry IRL, even some of my most pissed off looking posts are dropped in passing without any emotional temperature raising. It's discussion.

But--some of us have lived thru 'just hockey culture things' and are pissed and annoyed when dog shit like this goes relatively unpunished.

I saw a twitter post re: the above that said it best, something to the effect of i believe heavily in 2nd chances--but when the person in charge of the henhouse is a fox, should you really immediately rehire him to be in charge of another henhouse?

Hockey has abuse problems at all levels that are being systematically upheld and people are raising their voices about it.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I wouldn't conflate forum commentary with someone literally pacing around their room angry IRL, even some of my most pissed off looking posts are dropped in passing without any emotional temperature raising. It's discussion.

But--some of us have lived thru 'just hockey culture things' and are pissed and annoyed when dog shit like this goes relatively unpunished.

I saw a twitter post re: the above that said it best, something to the effect of i believe heavily in 2nd chances--but when the person in charge of the henhouse is a fox, should you really immediately rehire him to be in charge of another henhouse?

Hockey has abuse problems at all levels that are being systematically upheld and people are raising their voices about it.
it sure does, raise your voice, I don’t have an issue with that. If you feel the need to speak your mind then go for it, just don’t get caught up in the emotions of it I guess. People let random stories on the internet affect their day to day life.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
As long as you aren't Russian...

I think had the Kings not handled things so poorly with the ridiculous decision to allow him to practice, and Voynov had let it play out in the courts that he might have been able to return after a 1-2 season ban depending on what had happened with immigration.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think had the Kings not handled things so poorly with the ridiculous decision to allow him to practice, and Voynov had let it play out in the courts that he might have been able to return after a 1-2 season ban depending on what had happened with immigration.
needed to do something to get the league to come to a decision on his cap hit.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Maybe I'm getting confused on the timeline of the Voynov stuff, but didn't the Kings let him practice after they had to play a couple games shorthanded because the league had no clue what to do?

Strictly from memory, the incident happened, the league suspended him, but his cap still counted against the Kings and they couldn't replace him on the roster either.
So then after having 22 players on the roster for like a week, they let him practice?

Reactions: YP44

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
it sure does, raise your voice, I don’t have an issue with that. If you feel the need to speak your mind then go for it, just don’t get caught up in the emotions of it I guess. People let random stories on the internet affect their day to day life.
Some of these issues are prevalent even if it doesn't affect us directly. Or immediately.

Having people get high-profile positions after looking the other way with sexual assaults. I know victims of sexual assault (including myself when I was a young teen).

These "random Internet stories" are ongoing issues that people experience, and others get away with it, because the apathy still outweighs the anger towards the behavior. And while you may not have not or will not be affected, I'd like to think you would want to reduce and/or eliminate the risk factors to prevent it from happening to someone you care about.

Management saying "yeah, this guy looked the other way while an employee was sexually assaulted, harassed by fellow employees, then treated as a 'problem' for being expendable, but we think he's what the team needs!" just casually accepts wrongdoing.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
100% what KP said.
Short story time; during the pandemic when the "me too" movement was going around, a bunch of professional wrestlers got outed for years of extremely terrible and sinister stuff.

This included some people that were in positions of power with my favorite pro wrestling company Chikara.

When I started reading about what had happened with this thing I really enjoyed, my reaction wasn't "well maybe these people deserve a second chance," it was "shut the whole thing down, this needs to stop, and is none of it is ok."

And thankfully that's exactly what happened. The whole company shut down and the people involved got blacklisted and started to face consequences.

Sometimes it's better to not have a thing you enjoy if it contributes to toxic, hurtful behavior, and sometimes people don't deserve a second chance.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Not to mention that this behavior is not just limited to hockey and it's excused just as often when it isn't. "Pay no mind to it" is honestly why we have the problems we do. If people who did these sorts of things in everyday life had to suffer even SOME repercussions, we might see some change.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
i can support speaking up and connecting to the right avenues to make a difference or even make your story heard. I just feel personally reading the thread on nationals about Bowman is so crazy with how much arguing there is about his perceived morality when it makes no difference except just make you angry at poster X.

I know personally that it isn’t good for me to hate Blake and that I spend too much mental energy on this site that realistically is no benefit to any of us. At best we bitch with eachother to familiar posters we’ve gotten to know over time.

I do think if you really have anger in your heart, you should probably pick up a game like Tekken 8 and just really embrace the hate. If that ain’t your style chill with the people on here and conserve your focus through legitimate means/outlets.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I do think if you really have anger in your heart, you should probably pick up a game like Tekken 8 and just really embrace the hate. If that ain’t your style chill with the people on here and conserve your focus through legitimate means/outlets.
Obligatory "you don't pay my sub" reply. :laugh:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Maybe I'm getting confused on the timeline of the Voynov stuff, but didn't the Kings let him practice after they had to play a couple games shorthanded because the league had no clue what to do?

Strictly from memory, the incident happened, the league suspended him, but his cap still counted against the Kings and they couldn't replace him on the roster either.
So then after having 22 players on the roster for like a week, they let him practice?
yup they did it to force the league to make a decision on his cap hit.

so would people here swap Blake for Bowman?

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
i can support speaking up and connecting to the right avenues to make a difference or even make your story heard. I just feel personally reading the thread on nationals about Bowman is so crazy with how much arguing there is about his perceived morality when it makes no difference except just make you angry at poster X.
I dunno. I get pretty angry when other people accept sexual assault because the person involved might make their active hobby more enjoyable.

Like, I really think people shouldn't be okay with that.

Do I spend all day arguing about it? No. But I'm glad there are people with the energy to do so.

Edit: of course, Bowman could redeem himself and he could have learned. Since he's now in the position to do the exact same thing, I have to hope so.

But that doesn't mean I think what the Oilers did was right.

Reactions: tigermask48 and Sol

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
not in a million years. Would rather the team be mediocre than immoral.
I am not responding to you in general but more along the lines of the general fanbase here.

Would you guys want a bad team but a moral organization or would you guys rather have a winning successful team with an immoral organization?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad