Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Thank you Florida now if the Stars would step up I'd be ecstatic. Rangers till think they can win a cup without a number 1 center. ZiBADnijad is not the answer. Buy buy President trophy.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Why doesnt the presidents trophy mean anything? Because the 2nd season is a different style of hockey that wont necessarily be rewarded in the regular season... something that seems to be lost on Waste Management.. my guess is, they arent dumb, they for whatever reason are fine with being in the black hole and being first round fodder... becoming a true contender would take several seasons of DNQ and they dont seem interested in doing that.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
FLA vs ? for the SC.

Time for the Stars to step up and stop playing like asses and force a game 7.
Gotta hope for Dallas if you want a competitive final. Can’t see Nurse, Ceci, and Deharnais being part of a single win against the beast that is the Panthers.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Can’t see Nurse, Ceci, and Deharnais being part of a single win against the beast that is the Panthers.
People were talking like that about Edmonton before the Stars series.

Florida seems like the best team right now, but the Oilers still have the best top tier talent.

In a Oilers/Panthers final I think the goaltending matchup is where Florida might have the biggest advantage.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Re EDM/Dal something happened in the 2nd period of game 4 where EDM balls dropped and Stars didnt have an answer in any of the subsequent 5 periods. Its possible Dallas could find their testes in game 6, which would catapult them into game 7. I think they will. Still have the Stars winning it. To me it mostly hinges on Skinner.. if he keeps playing well its EDM, if not Stars... he has been inconsistent most of his career.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Why doesnt the presidents trophy mean anything? Because the 2nd season is a different style of hockey that wont necessarily be rewarded in the regular season... something that seems to be lost on Waste Management.. my guess is, they arent dumb, they for whatever reason are fine with being in the black hole and being first round fodder... becoming a true contender would take several seasons of DNQ and they dont seem interested in doing that.
Blake wanted to build this team into the Predators and he succeeded. Gotta give him credit for seeing his vision through until the end I guess.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Blake wanted to build this team into the Predators and he succeeded. Gotta give him credit for seeing his vision through until the end I guess.
I keep hearing this.. i just dont remember when Bleak made that quote re the Preds. What a strange thing to want to be like a small market team that has no choice but try to contend on a smaller budget. Whatever is going on in this org, it is very strange.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
People were talking like that about Edmonton before the Stars series.

Florida seems like the best team right now, but the Oilers still have the best top tier talent.

In a Oilers/Panthers final I think the goaltending matchup is where Florida might have the biggest advantage.
Yea that narrative about the Oilers just isnt true this year. I bet on Oilers beating the Panthers in the cup months ago.
Its like no one watched the Oilers run through half the league without losing a game. If you watched them on a daily basis during the regular season some nights they were playing at a tempo thats rarely been seen besides that Colorado team that won a couple years ago.
Edmonton has not flashed that dominant uptempo play in the playoffs as much and they do look beatable a lot so thats good news for Florida whom I am really rooting for. But Edmonton has definitely tightened up their loose ends in the last two rounds. They dont let anything happen in their slot lately and the Panthers are willing to get dirty to get there so it will be fun.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Sucks Quick won't get his fourth cup this year. But I have some annoyances with the Rangers anyway. Like:
- being lottery eligible despite playing in games the NHL considered the playoffs during the COVID season
- Fox bullying his way to get traded to only one team by literally refusing to sign an ELC with both Calgary and Carolina (which is why Faber playing another year in college was different than the lies being spread about him)
- Trouba and Rempe's frequent reckless or headhunting antics that go unpunished

And the general smug superior attitude that comes with fans who watch teams start on third base.

It's also why I get annoyed at the "Lombardi was just lucky" narrative. Yes, he had fortunate things happen, but he didn't have a Norris-caliber defenseman refuse to sign an ELC with any team but one close to home. He didn't win a lottery weeks after players on his roster increased their career total of playoff points.

It's petty and sour grapes, I know. But even during the cup-winning years, it felt like Kings fans here were largely grounded (though that could be my bias).

I just feel Florida and Dallas have taken a smarter, more methodical and measured approach in roster construction, and I want to see one of them get rewarded.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Florida got lucky that Huberdeau had a stupid year, at the same time that Tkachuk wanted out of Calgary. Well, more lucky that the Flames accepted that trade(then doubled down on it by giving everyone long term contracts). Without that particular deal, none of this is possible, because you can't pay a goalie $10m on the cap, in his mid-30's no less, and expect to win. Because prior to the Panthers current run, that would be a bad roster construction move. Unless you win, then it's just a footnote.

Same with Nurse. Same with Seguin. Same with Benn. If you win, it's fine. If you lose, those were stupid things to do.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Sucks Quick won't get his fourth cup this year. But I have some annoyances with the Rangers anyway. Like:
- being lottery eligible despite playing in games the NHL considered the playoffs during the COVID season
- Fox bullying his way to get traded to only one team by literally refusing to sign an ELC with both Calgary and Carolina (which is why Faber playing another year in college was different than the lies being spread about him)
- Trouba and Rempe's frequent reckless or headhunting antics that go unpunished

And the general smug superior attitude that comes with fans who watch teams start on third base.

It's also why I get annoyed at the "Lombardi was just lucky" narrative. Yes, he had fortunate things happen, but he didn't have a Norris-caliber defenseman refuse to sign an ELC with any team but one close to home. He didn't win a lottery weeks after players on his roster increased their career total of playoff points.

It's petty and sour grapes, I know. But even during the cup-winning years, it felt like Kings fans here were largely grounded (though that could be my bias).

I just feel Florida and Dallas have taken a smarter, more methodical and measured approach in roster construction, and I want to see one of them get rewarded.
Didn't the Rangers very intentionally rebuild? Wasn't their even a letter they put out to their fans telling them about it?

Some teams get more fortunate breaks than others. I would agree the current iterations of the Rangers and Oilers have gotten more than most.

Posters correctly pointing out luck is involved in building a championship team doesn't dimmish the work Lombardi did. I don't understand why it annoys people to acknowledge something so plainly obvious.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Didn't the Rangers very intentionally rebuild? Wasn't their even a letter they put out to their fans telling them about it?

Some teams get more fortunate breaks than others. I would agree the current iterations of the Rangers and Oilers have gotten more than most.

Posters correctly pointing out luck is involved in building a championship team doesn't dimmish the work Lombardi did. I don't understand why it annoys people to acknowledge something so plainly obvious.
Rangers rebuilt like the Kings did: “committing” to it for a couple years then bailing on it and acquiring a bunch of vets to be roadblocks for their top rated prospect pool. Only difference is they had a Norris defenseman fall into their lap while we traded ours away, and they have a Shesterkin.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Rangers rebuilt like the Kings did: “committing” to it for a couple years then bailing on it and acquiring a bunch of vets to be roadblocks for their top rated prospect pool. Only difference is they had a Norris defenseman fall into their lap while we traded ours away, and they have a Shesterkin.
Also the Rangers only kept one legacy player in Kreider. The Kings kept Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, and Quick.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Because it’s reductionist nonsense that stifles discourse.

No one disputes that luck plays some kind of factor in sports. This isn’t a revolutionary insight. But luck is often utilized by lazy interlocutors to denigrate the people/teams they dislike without any real logic or statistical support. This is what people take umbrage with.

Kind of strange you don’t grasp this, considering you’ve spent the past three pages lecturing Kings’ fans over their bias against Edmonton.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Re EDM/Dal something happened in the 2nd period of game 4 where EDM balls dropped and Stars didnt have an answer in any of the subsequent 5 periods. Its possible Dallas could find their testes in game 6, which would catapult them into game 7. I think they will. Still have the Stars winning it. To me it mostly hinges on Skinner.. if he keeps playing well its EDM, if not Stars... he has been inconsistent most of his career.
I’ll say that the Oilers have been resilient. Teams can’t seem to step on their necks and press the advantage. IE Stars and Vancouver letting them back in the series. LA not capitalizing in game four this year. Oilers offense never lets them be to far out of a game. If they get to the finals it will be due to defensive buy in and pk.

I still hate their construction and even more so their complaints and diving. They are a whiny bunch.

Skinner is average.

I thought Dallas would crush them. I still think Dallas is the better team. Hoping they can push it to 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: AbsentMojo

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Because it’s reductionist nonsense that stifles discourse.

No one disputes that luck plays some kind of factor in sports. This isn’t a revolutionary insight. But luck is often utilized by lazy interlocutors to denigrate the people/teams they dislike without any real logic or statistical support. This is what people take umbrage with.

Kind of strange you don’t grasp this, considering you’ve spent the past three pages lecturing Kings’ fans over their bias against Edmonton.
Pointing out the multitude of variables involved in achieving such a rare outcome is the opposite of reductionist.

Regarding your second sentence; there's a difference between saying that and accepting it. The tone of your posts suggest the latter hasn't happened yet.

The attempt at pedanticism is cute.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Pointing out the multitude of variables involved in achieving such a rare outcome is the opposite of reductionist.

Regarding your second sentence; there's a difference between saying that and accepting it. The tone of your posts suggest the latter hasn't happened yet.

The attempt at pedanticism is cute.

“Pointing out a multitude of variables” is exactly what people like myself, RJ, and KP do. When those posts are responded to or referenced with blanket statements about luck, that is by definition reductionist.

And I’m sorry my pedantry is as insufferable to you as your own is to everyone else. You really need to look in the mirror, man. You even condescend to me here by calling my post cute, and suggesting I just haven’t “accepted” your argument. I specifically pointed out that I agreed luck plays a role in sports in my last post, you goof. I’ve said in multiple places that the Lombardi regime got very lucky in dodging bullets like Brad Richards.

• Haha
Reactions: johnjm22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Florida was an easy choice last season and are again. Great team to watch. Can play it any way you want.

Their fans have never tasted a Cup win. Super easy to root for them.
I've always kinda liked the Panthers. I enjoyed their run with Vanbiesbrouck back in the day. The whole thing with the rats was so much fun. Plus it's cool seeing a long suffering franchise have success.

Also, their original logo is still one of the best ever IMO.

But aren't we supposed to hate Tkachuk?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Doughty is still playing on the Kings.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Florida was an easy choice last season and are again. Great team to watch. Can play it any way you want.

Their fans have never tasted a Cup win. Super easy to root for them.
It would be funny to see Edmonton make the finals after a couple of decades and proceed to lose to a southeast team who gets their franchise first cup.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So much has changed since the Oilers last SC appearance. That was such a weird season.

First year of the "New NHL". The salary cap, the shootout, the crackdown on interference. OLN was broadcasting games.

That Oilers team came within one game of winning the SC with Horcoff as their #1 center.

Stoll was 23 and had a 68 point season. Him and Williams played against each other in the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad