Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Habs did well here.

Considering they got 2 1st round picks for Monahan, they definitely get a benefit of the doubt in these kinds of moves.

It would be amusing if the Habs gave Laine a ton of playing time, and then sold him for a bundle at the deadline.

Reactions: themilosh

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
If he plays like he can, they should be keeping him.

Yeah If Laine can fit well and become a 20-30 goal guy again that top 6 of theirs looks pretty formidable. Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Laine, Dach, and Newhook could make for a very skilled group. It's also very extreme at both ends in terms of size. Suzuki, Caufield, and Newhook are all shrimps while Slafkovsky, Dach, and Laine are massive.

If the Habs can have a halfway decent season and can conceivably be in the playoff race until the TDL that will bode well for them going forward. That defence still needs work though and who knows if Primeau is the guy for them in net. If they completely tank again though I could see them selling Laine if he creates enough value for himself.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I don't see Laine creating any real value in half a season on a nearly 9 million a year ticket.
I think it's a good bet he spends a whole season in Montreal and trys to showcase what he's capable of. It's a decent top 6 he's jumping into. They should be in the race for that last playoffs spot for a bit anyways.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
It would be amusing if the Habs gave Laine a ton of playing time, and then sold him for a bundle at the deadline.
Laine is only 26, he actually fits their timeline perfectly. At some point they’re going to want to take the next steps to becoming a contender, trading him for more futures just kicks the can down the road. Their core players are either in their prime or just entering it. Suzuki is already 25-26 also so like I said time to take the next steps

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
That's a good get for Montreal. Laine hasn't lived up to the hype yet, but if he finds his game then he's likely to become one of our nemeses again

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I am not sure why the new narrative on Laine is "wow Montreal. Nice pick up you got there".

This is risky. He cost a lot of $$$$. What is to say that his 3rd team is now the right one?

I was laughing at MTL today. Why aren't you laughing?

Reactions: bax

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Agreed. Holy God. Many Habs fans are celebrating right now. Calling their top 6 "legit".

WTF

They sound like Sems fans of the last couple years lol. They have a non-playoff team at the end of the day no matter how they want to try and spin it

I think the Laine acquisition has the potential to get them a positive net return in the long term if they play things right, but it won't move the needle for them significantly

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I am not sure why the new narrative on Laine is "wow Montreal. Nice pick up you got there".

This is risky. He cost a lot of $$$$. What is to say that his 3rd team is now the right one?

I was laughing at MTL today. Why aren't you laughing?
It's not really risky though, because it's only cost cap space on a team that doesn't really care about wasting cap space right now. Worst case he's garbage and they bought a 2nd round pick.

If he stays healthy and plays even decent they retain and get more picks/prospects for him in the future.

He gets his act together and plays well and they either trade him for a haul or see him as a long term piece. Even if you think this outcome is unlikely, which I'd agree that it probably is, there's potential for significant upside here for the Habs and little downside.

It's what all bad teams should do. Use your cap space to your advantage and take chances on guys with upside. It's basically the opposite of what the Sens have done, they're a bad team that trades futures for guys at peak value, tanks them, and then sells for peanuts.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Laine is only 26, he actually fits their timeline perfectly. At some point they’re going to want to take the next steps to becoming a contender, trading him for more futures just kicks the can down the road. Their core players are either in their prime or just entering it. Suzuki is already 25-26 also so like I said time to take the next steps

Is he the next step though? He puts up decent offensive numbers, but he’s always been trash defensively. Like terrible effort defensively. At the end of the day, all that matters is if your team scores more than the other team, when you are in the ice.

I think it’s a great gamble for Montreal, and if they can’t get him to play a complete game, at least if they can get him to score, they can move him at the trade deadline for more picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad