Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Alex Lafreniere what will his next contract be what would the Rangers walk away from ?

He put up 57 points last year... if he puts up around the same... let's say 60 points... that's around a $7 mil contract. If he does better... yikes.

I would imagine if someone offered him $9.1 mil, they'd have to think hard about it. 1 1st-round pick, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick

Above $9.1 mil, it's 2 1st-round picks, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick

Of course they've got Shesterkin and Miller to sign as well.

horner

May 22, 2007
He put up 57 points last year... if he puts up around the same... let's say 60 points... that's around a $7 mil contract. If he does better... yikes.

I would imagine if someone offered him $9.1 mil, they'd have to think hard abaout it. 1 1st-round pick, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick

Trade Marner get a 1st + 3rd + +

Offer Sheet Lafreniere 9.1 × 8 yrs
He is going to be a beast especially in the playoffs

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I would imagine if someone offered him $9.1 mil, they'd have to think hard about it. 1 1st-round pick, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick

Yeah word is Shesterkin wants 12M+ as well

He may end up being the first $100M deal we see for a goalie

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

We require OUR first, 2nd and Third to do that. We don't have any of those. Trading Marner won't get us those.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I’m trying to remember who even has each pick. Is it Chicago that has our 1st?

We require OUR first, 2nd and Third to do that. We don't have any of those. Trading Marner won't get us those.

Yeah. I’m not advocating for the idea, but they would have to deal part for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd (which is an awful deal) then flip those picks to the teams that hold each of ours lol

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’m trying to remember who even has each pick. Is it Chicago that has our 1st?

Yeah. I’m not advocating for the idea, but they would have to deal part for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd (which is an awful deal) then flip those picks to the teams that hold each of ours lol

Ducks have our 2025 3rd, as part of the cap retention for in the second Lyubushkin trade.
Chicago have our 2025 1st in the McCabe, Lafferty deal
Utah has our 2025 2nd in the first Lyubushkin trade.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022

As others have said, you need your own picks to offer sheet..BUT...beyond that...

Whoever you trade Marner to, he has to AGREE to go there, AND They need to have the cap space for his contract this year and whatever he wants to sign for beyond that. I know you can make moves and take back contracts to make things fit, but right now who has even $10+m in cap space?

Calgary? Anaheim? San Jose? that is about it. Will he waive to go to any of those places? And would they trade for him confident he would re-sign there with them being so far away from competing and him in the prime of his career right now? I don't think he's going to waive at all until the deadline. And if he does, he is going to hand pick the deal/team he wants to go to.

The reason it will be so hard to trade him is he is likely to WANT to stay in Toronto because this may be the place he has the BEST chance of winning a cup that can fit him under the cap this year.

Reactions: Nineteen67

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Oilers are going to pay dearly one way or another for allowing Broberg and Holloway to get offer sheets. They’re either going to overpay one or both players next season, or they’ll have to cough up a high draft pick or two to get money off the books.

League executives told Postmedia on Thursday that the Oilers were trying to get the contracts of defencemen Cody Ceci ($3.25 million) and Brent Kulak ($2.75) million off the books so they could match the offer sheets, and we’re told there are teams that have shown interest.

But, if teams are going to make those deals, they’re going to want something extra from the Oilers to take on Ceci or Kulak’s contracts. We’re told that could be a first- or second-round pick in both scenarios because teams know they’ve got Jackson cornered.

The price only goes up at this time of year because many teams have already settled their rosters and nobody will do the Oilers any favours without them ponying up another asset.
Article content

Another option for Edmonton is putting winger Evander Kane on long-term injury reserve with a sports hernia to get his $5.5-million salary off the books to start the new season. That’s not a given.

“You would think a doctor would have to say surgery is required. And Kane would have to sign off on that surgery. There’s no guarantee Kane would be gone for the season if he needs a procedure,” respected Edmonton columnist Jim Matheson noted.

That’s a move that could also put the Oilers under the NHL’s microscope because you’d think, if Kane really needed surgery, he could have had it by now. That scenario just kicks the can down the road.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I still think the Oilers will find a way to match on Broberg. Currently only Bouchard and Nurse(30 in February) are under 30 and prospect wise on D, they're really skinny.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I still think the Oilers will find a way to match on Broberg. Currently only Bouchard and Nurse(30 in February) are under 30 and prospect wise on D, they're really skinny.

You may be right, but I don’t think it makes a ton of sense for Edmonton. That 4.5 is extremely difficult to make room for and it will cost them assets to create that room and for what? A player who wants out and has for a while?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
No, to make a ton of sense for the Oilers it never gets to this point. Now it's a decision between the lesser of two evils.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad