Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Hes been nearly a PPG the past 2 seasons on a god awful offensive team that has one of the worst PPs. He got less than Meier and Guentzel. Don't think its anything crazy value wise. Barzal got over 9 like 2 years ago and had 1 ppg season.

Reactions: uncleben

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What do people think of the Konecny signing?

It seems like a considerable overpayment to me. I didn't want to post that on the Trades/Signings board. Don't like being rude to other fanbases unless they're BOS/MTL. Is he really that good? And for someone who is supposed to be a character guy, I remember he was a healthy scratch two or three seasons ago (he was scoring a lot at the time, so it wasn't because of a lack of production, either).

He’s like a better Tyler Bertuzzi at a much higher cap hit on a team that has no plans to do anything for a while.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I'll give you 10 guesses as to Chris Rogues junior team connection to Dubas and the first 9 don't count, :wg:

Dubas and Roque's professional relationship dates back to... surprise, surprise... Dubas' time in the OHL with the Soo Greyhounds.

Dubas, Clark, Roque and former Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe were all BFFs and a power team for years with the Soo Greyhounds of the OHL and Dubas has done his best to keep the group together in the NHL with the Leafs.

It didn't work out in the Soo nor in Toronto, (were Dubas teams only ever won a single playoff round), but he's trying it once again in Pittsburgh.

Third time's the charm I guess?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'll give you 10 guesses as to Chris Rogues junior team connection to Dubas and the first 9 don't count, :wg:

Dubas and Roque's professional relationship dates back to... surprise, surprise... Dubas' time in the OHL with the Soo Greyhounds.

Dubas, Clark, Roque and former Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe were all BFFs and a power team for years with the Soo Greyhounds of the OHL and Dubas has done his best to keep the group together in the NHL with the Leafs.

It didn't work out in the Soo nor in Toronto, (were Dubas teams only ever won a single playoff round), but he's trying it once again in Pittsburgh.

Third time's the charm I guess?
You forgot Bunting is playing in Pits

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
A question for you: The MLB trade deadline being today at 6pm, I wonder if the NHL should move their deadline hour to 6pm eastern too? 3 pm eastern is only noon on the west coast. How does that make sense?
Definitely a good point, but the way the deadline has gone the last few years, it doesn’t matter. They all make their deals before the deadline. A few extra hours won’t make too much of a difference.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I think Gulhe could be a bit of a gem. I've been wrong many times before, but he always stands out in a positive way whenever I catch Canadiens games.

Reactions: andora

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I dunno, Hab fans act like this dude is already a #1 d man!

Their defense is terrible so maybe he is…. In Montreal.

It's like 2 years ago when Montreal had like 5 rookie D playing and everybody was like wow the D future is so bright while ignoring they were getting demolished every game. Just because you crack a team with no decent veteran D and play doesn’t mean you should be there or that you have high potential.

Guhle at least seems like there is something to there but this is a lot of money for him right now. It’s a gamble but that how it goes. With the rising cap this could be pretty solid fairly soon

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He is definitely not the first one to ever do this...

I remember a few drafts ago Bob McKenzie tweeted out every first round pick before it happened. Woj does that shit in the NBA.

But I think this all comes down to gambling. You can bet on picks now, so if you get caught leaking anything, they are going to come at you hard. Just look at all the gambling ads sportnets continues to shove down everyones throat. They can't let that honey pot go away.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He is definitely not the first one to ever do this...

I remember a few drafts ago Bob McKenzie tweeted out every first round pick before it happened. Woj does that shit in the NBA.

But I think this all comes down to gambling. You can bet on picks now, so if you get caught leaking anything, they are going to come at you hard. Just look at all the gambling ads sportnets continues to shove down everyones throat. They can't let that honey pot go away.
Sports betting blowing up is one of the worst things to happen to sports in awhile. Guarantee these sports books have their grubby fingers in a lot of things people wouldn't suspect.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Well if Marek actually was relaying the picks early to friends who bet on the pick and made money off of it. This will be a pretty big deal. I'm not even sure what to call it? Embezzlement, insider trading? Just some greedy scumbags?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well if Marek actually was relaying the picks early to friends who bet on the pick and made money off of it. This will be a pretty big deal. I'm not even sure what to call it? Embezzlement, insider trading? Just some greedy scumbags?

That was the rumour but recent information is that he did not do that.

Reactions: Menzinger

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

The report says that no connections were found between Marek and any gambling impropriety nor any intentions on Marek's behalf were uncovered.

Sportsnet sacked him for the optics and because the NHL and betting firms had them in a vice

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Then what's the updated reason this got him fired? Because the betting on picks thing sounds pretty plausible.

I literally linked it in the article.

"Marek had been questioned by the Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) and NHL security for allegedly leaking which players teams were drafting moments before picks were publicly announced, according to league and media industry sources. There was no evidence that Marek used the information to place wagers. But because the draft and the pick tipping occurred in Las Vegas, it created a situation that ultimately led to Marek’s exit."

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I literally linked it in the article.

"Marek had been questioned by the Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) and NHL security for allegedly leaking which players teams were drafting moments before picks were publicly announced, according to league and media industry sources. There was no evidence that Marek used the information to place wagers. But because the draft and the pick tipping occurred in Las Vegas, it created a situation that ultimately led to Marek’s exit."
Sorry Im just going off the multiple reports I've been seeing on social media.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad