Around The League - OFFSEASON?!

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I'm genuinely surprised that Rogers doesn't currently charge me to have the ability to fast forward through commercials on my PVR. But I expect that fee will be coming soon.
It's even worse than that. Rogers rep told me recently that the cable used by PVR is considered a legacy system and will be phased out next year (2025). I too still have my PVR, am pissed that I'll be forced to use cloud-based TV cable service instead. I'll stick with Rogers as you can save programs up to 1 year on Ignite but only for 3 months on Bell Fibe cloud.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Low taxes and sunshine and beaches will always be a huge draw But I do hope that the way the bolts treated Stammer and Serg Makes at least a couple guys pause before giving them too good of a discount on a contract

Jake Guentzel just signed a 7 year max limit contract at $9 mil ($63 mil deal) with TB this summer as UFA. That came at the expense of Stammer, who signed for 4 X at $8 mil in Nashville.

However from a teams Fans perspective however it shows that despite winning 2 recent Stanley Cups TB management is continuing to strive to be Cup Competitive, and had no problem waking away from their Captain and multiple Rocket Richard winner and key contributor to past success in Stamkos.

Is there a lesson to be learned from this by Leafs management who also claim to be highly motivated to have more playoff success, that it takes tough personnel decisions at times to move the ball forward?

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Jake Guentzel just singed a 7 year max limit contract at $9 mil ($63 mil deal) with TB this summer as UFA. That came at the expense of Stammer, who signed for 4 X at $8 mil in Nashville.

However from a teams Fans perspective however it shows that despite winning 2 recent Stanley Cups TB management is continuing to strive to be Cup Competitive, and had no problem waking away from their Captain and multiple Rocket Richard winner and key contributor to past success in Stamkos.

Is there a lesson to be learned from this by Leafs management who also claim to be highly motivated to have more playoff success, that it takes tough personnel decisions at times to move the ball forward?
And when Tampa wins absolutely nothing with Guentzel, should we still praise Tampa? Tampa did the right thing by letting Stamkos go, but all they are doing is shuffling high-priced deck chairs.

Reactions: uncleben

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And when Tampa wins absolutely nothing with Guentzel, should we still praise Tampa? Tampa did the right thing by letting Stamkos go, but all they are doing is shuffling high-priced deck chairs.
1720832389579.png
playoffs.

Jake Guentzel is 29 years old and has recorded 38 goals 29 assists 67 points in 69 playoff games and makes $9.0 mil AAV.

1720831485191.png

Auston Matthews now making $13.25 mil AAV and Marner $10.9 mil but looking for $12 mil haven't scored 38 playoff goals combined in their careers.

1720831248815.png

One team is shuffling deck chairs for $ 9 mil AAV and one team is keeping the status quo for approx $25 mil AAV and has won only a single playoff series in 8 years.

Which Franchise is better positioned to win it all? .

Last edited:

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Jake Guentzel just singed a 7 year max limit contract at $9 mil ($63 mil deal) with TB this summer as UFA. That came at the expense of Stammer, who signed for 4 X at $8 mil in Nashville.

Is this a shot at JT?

Stamkos is UFA. What's so tough about it. TB would never get rid of Stamkos under contract.

If JT was UFA it's not that hard to sign Guentzel instead of giving JT 8 mil.

And at this point of their careers JT is more useful than Stamkos anyways.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
This should put to bed the debate that the Tavares contract did not factor into the contracts for the 3 amigos. No wonder Kyle was voted best GM by player agents. Well done Kyle. We can and we will, my ass.

Debate? Isn't there only two posters that deny this? I know many of us have said this for years... That Dubas' first and biggest screw ups were not signing Matthews and Marner earlier for less.

I believe we were all called dumb and told some junk about not understanding how contracts work and raw numbers by one of those posters. :laugh:

Reactions: ToneDog
Oct 18, 2010

While the absence of state income tax may have played a part in recruiting the high-profile UFAs, Trotz believes it's not as significant a factor for high-end players.

"When you talk to Stamkos or Marchessault or players that are serial winners, guys that have gone deep, have had good careers, and made a lot of money, it doesn't go that far," Trotz continued. "But it does help the middle group a little bit. For the elite players, the top players, they're just looking for a place that's serious about winning, wants to win, fits in their window."

Is he wrong? The Leafs don't have a middle class for some reason or another... can't quite put my finger on it.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
So Stamkos and Trotz now have both went out and said it lol.

Been saying for years its a factor but always told it doesnt matter theres smart accountants out there that will make sure they get the same money everywhere 🤓
Why is it not a factor in any other professional sport? Why does this issue only get raised in the NHL?

Reactions: WillNy29

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Look at the players Trotz has brought in.

Not just as deadline rentals either. But signed on multi-year terms in attempt to compete now. O'Rielly, Stamkos, Marchessault, and Schenn.

Two Conn Smythe winners and six cups in those four players alone.

These are the character guys you want. Not Tavares, Marleau, Giordano, Spezza, Thornton, and Reaves. Signing a guy with the nickname "No Show" Joe was questionable at best when it happened.

It looks even more stupid with the benefit of hindsight.

Look how fast Trotz rebuilt Nashville. They were a bottom feeder before he took over. It wouldn't surprise me if they win more rounds than the Leafs next year.

Another team that bottomed, rebuilt, and passed the Leafs on the way up while we're still celebrating regular season accomplishments.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Look at the players Trotz has brought in.

Not just as deadline rentals either. But signed on multi-year terms in attempt to compete now. O'Rielly, Stamkos, Marchessault, and Schenn.

Two Conn Smythe winners and six cups in those four players alone.

These are the character guys you want. Not Tavares, Marleau, Giordano, Spezza, Thornton, and Reaves. Signing a guy with the nickname "No Show" Joe was questionable at best when it happened.

It looks even more stupid with the benefit of hindsight.

Look how fast Trotz rebuilt Nashville. They were a bottom feeder before he took over. It wouldn't surprise me if they win more rounds than the Leafs next year.

Another team that bottomed, rebuilt, and passed the Leafs on the way up while we're still celebrating regular season accomplishments.

.. Nashville never bottomed out or rebuilt, this is complete hyperbolic nonsense

Nor have the passed the Leafs .. they have made the playoffs 9 of the last 10 years but haven’t made it past round 1 since 2018.

Trotz has doubled down on aging players like ROR, Josi, by bringing in Stamkos and Marchessault as they’ve committed to winning now by re-signing Saros.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
That isn't really relevant. Are NBA or MLB players choosing to sign with Texas teams over New York or California teams?
How is it not relevant lmao?

Without a hard cap, if you have to, you can pay that extra it takes to retain them and it doesnt hurt the overall composition of your team, it just hurts the owners pockets more. You don't have to sweat about every single possible dollar getting used up unless youre a team with an internal budget.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
.. Nashville never bottomed out or rebuilt, this is complete hyperbolic nonsense

Nor have the passed the Leafs .. they have made the playoffs 9 of the last 10 years but haven’t made it past round 1 since 2018.

Trotz has doubled down on aging players like ROR, Josi, by bringing in Stamkos and Marchessault as they’ve committed to winning now by re-signing Saros.
So their playoffs records is like the Leafs the past 8 years except they actually made it to the SCF.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I bet you find posters on this forum who deny it with voodoo tax shelters.

It's like players who live in states with no income tax wouldn't have tax accountants.
Of course they do. I don't think anyone is saying that the after tax dollars in every jurisdiction is the same. It's simply that there are structures available to minimize the difference. I believe Allan Walsh said the exact same thing. New York and California have the highest tax burdens, but have any teams in those states missed out on players for tax reasons? If you ask me, the issue for Canadian teams isn't taxes - it's Canada. It's why neither the raptors nor the Jays are ever able to attract big free agents. It's why American born NHL players often choose US teams over Canadian teams, even if those US teams are in high-tax states. If it were just a tax issue, that would probably be easier to solve. Solving for "I don't want to live in Canada" is a heck of a lot tougher.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Of course they do. I don't think anyone is saying that the after tax dollars in every jurisdiction is the same. It's simply that there are structures available to minimize the difference. I believe Allan Walsh said the exact same thing. New York and California have the highest tax burdens, but have any teams in those states missed out on players for tax reasons? If you ask me, the issue for Canadian teams isn't taxes - it's Canada. It's why neither the raptors nor the Jays are ever able to attract big free agents. It's why American born NHL players often choose US teams over Canadian teams, even if those US teams are in high-tax states. If it were just a tax issue, that would probably be easier to solve. Solving for "I don't want to live in Canada" is a heck of a lot tougher.

I bet all tax accountants can hit zero state income taxes in all the zero state income tax states.

Federal income taxes are the ones you can try and mitigate.

Anyone hear how Tavares' CRA tax battle is going?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Oh boy. This would not go over well on the mainboards. But we all knew it was true.
So Stamkos and Trotz now have both went out and said it lol.

Been saying for years its a factor but always told it doesnt matter theres smart accountants out there that will make sure they get the same money everywhere 🤓

I posted this on the mains and some folks there are losing their shit apparently implying Trotz has no idea what he is talking about LMAO :laugh:

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

Jays have no issues attracting big free agents. Springer, Gausman, Bassitt, etc are just the latest examples, and it's because there isn't a cap. (And only last year did they finally cross the luxury tax threshold and paid $5.5M)

It's not a Canada vs US thing. Players usually chase money.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Jays have no issues attracting big free agents. Springer, Gausman, Bassitt, etc are just the latest examples, and it's because there isn't a cap. (And only last year did they finally cross the luxury tax threshold and paid $5.5M)

It's not a Canada vs US thing. Players usually chase money.
Wouldn't this be validation that the tax impact is really not an issue? It's ultimately a non-starter for the Leafs because they pay the vast majority of their deals through signing bonuses, which are paid to players while they are in their tax-resident jurisdiction - in other words, Matthews gets virtually all of his money while he is in Arizona rather than Ontario, so the tax impact to him on the entirety of his contract is so minimal that it makes no difference.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

While.id fully agree that it's MORE than just taxes when it comes to many players preferring the US over Canada, taxes are still a major element of it - and goes beyond income tax, young millionaires often have expensive lifestyles, avoiding high sales taxes helps keep more dollars in their bank accounts

Reactions: IceBoxHockey

Ad

Ad

Ad