Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2024-25

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dean Evason hired by Columbus

I kind of like this hire for CBJ. Use DE as a transitional coach that just gets the guys to show up every game and play their best. Instill that in the team, then get a better Xs and Os guy to come in after a couple seasons.

Reactions: Theo Von

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
The Blues went crazy and offer-sheeted multiple Edmonton players - Broberg and Holloway

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
The Blues went crazy and offer-sheeted multiple Edmonton players - Broberg and Holloway
interesting, the most logical thing i read on the edm comments was let both players walk then use the 2nd & 3rd at the deadline to add. what do you guys think the oilers should do?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Match and then trade players for more.
You can't trade them for a year if you match. I think EDM has to match Holloway, at least, but this is a kick in the nethers for them. Holloway and Broberg haven't been all that good, but the potential is there, and EDM needs the depth they provide.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You can't trade them for a year if you match. I think EDM has to match Holloway, at least, but this is a kick in the nethers for them. Holloway and Broberg haven't been all that good, but the potential is there, and EDM needs the depth they provide.
I mean trade other players, like Evander Kane and possibly Ekholm.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean trade other players, like Evander Kane and possibly Ekholm.
They are talking about LTIR'ing Kane...can't see him being easy to trade. Trading Ekholm would be trading away their chance to be competitive. He is the defensive Yin to Bouchard's offensive Yang on their back end.

There is no easy way out for EDM. They have 7 days to make a decision. I think a guy like Holloway had to look at how they treated McLeod(traded him to BUF) after their Cup run, and decided to look out for #1.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They are talking about LTIR'ing Kane...can't see him being easy to trade. Trading Ekholm would be trading away their chance to be competitive. He is the defensive Yin to Bouchard's offensive Yang on their back end.

There is no easy way out for EDM. They have 7 days to make a decision. I think a guy like Holloway had to look at how they treated McLeod(traded him to BUF) after their Cup run, and decided to look out for #1.
Also, no shortcut home.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I think the clock is running out on Edmonton. McDavid has two years left. Draisaitl one year left. Bouchard needs a contract after this year. Might as well find a way to keep the young guys.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Also interesting that Blues needed to get their own 2nd rounder back from the Pens to even make the offer sheet.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, EDM trade for Podkolzin(Holloway substitute?), and in a separate deal, moved Ceci. Those moves, together with Kane being LTIR'ed. will allow them to match Broberg's 4.5M OS. Pyrrhic victory, if you ask me. Paying a guy who doesn't want to be there 3 times what he was asking for just a few weeks ago, the playing him out of position.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
So, EDM trade for Podkolzin(Holloway substitute?), and in a separate deal, moved Ceci. Those moves, together with Kane being LTIR'ed. will allow them to match Broberg's 4.5M OS. Pyrrhic victory, if you ask me. Paying a guy who doesn't want to be there 3 times what he was asking for just a few weeks ago, the playing him out of position.
Looks like they are letting both players go to the Blues.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The man Suter wanted to trade Brodin for, if memory serves.

Reactions: Wild925

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1