Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
12 yo me found this out rather quickly upon moving down south when the devout baptists down the street let me know I’m going to hell for the very explicit sin of… being Catholic
I'm all fairness...don't Catholics believe the same thing about all the other Christian denominations?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm all fairness...don't Catholics believe the same thing about all the other Christian denominations?

Can Of Worms GIFs | Tenor

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Maybe? I didn’t say that I was a good Catholic or that I still participate.
Yea my dad is Catholic in the loosest sense of the word, meaning he was uhhh "baptized" Catholic but he doesn't follow it, and since he married a non-Catholic and didn't have my bro and I Catholicized or whatever he's doomed to hell :laugh:. I had a friend at State who was a very devout Catholic and yea basically if you're not a strict Catholic you're doing your God-worship wrong and thereby doomed to hell

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
All I'll say on the topic of religion is thank god for catholic girls! Lost my virginity to a regular mass attending catholic girl I hardly knew who literally jumped my bones one afternoon (we weren't on a date or anything, just happened to be alone at the time). I was so shy around girls it might have been another year or two before I first got laid if not for her.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Don't know why the Preds aren't on our top three of favorite teams and we aren't on there's.

The broadcast teams usually do something together when we play them and while we were rivals in the Covid division I thought that made the respect even higher.
I’m not saying the Twitter war over Nashville banners was enough to put Carolina on Nashville’s most hated list, but it was probably enough to move Carolina off a favorite list.

Reactions: DaveG

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
All I'll say on the topic of religion is thank god for catholic girls! Lost my virginity to a regular mass attending catholic girl I hardly knew who literally jumped my bones one afternoon (we weren't on a date or anything, just happened to be alone at the time). I was so shy around girls it might have been another year or two before I first got laid if not for her.

this made me think of kentucky fried movie for some reason

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Yea my dad is Catholic in the loosest sense of the word, meaning he was uhhh "baptized" Catholic but he doesn't follow it, and since he married a non-Catholic and didn't have my bro and I Catholicized or whatever he's doomed to hell :laugh:. I had a friend at State who was a very devout Catholic and yea basically if you're not a strict Catholic you're doing your God-worship wrong and thereby doomed to hell

Really depends on who you talk to. I'm actually a Cardinal Gibbons grad and at least my class wasn't huge on the whole Catholicism thing. But my freshman theology teacher did tell me I was going to hell because I didn't go to church EVERY Sunday. She said it was okay if you were ignorant of that but now that she told the entire class there's no more excuses. So yeah it's a real mixed bag sometimes.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Really depends on who you talk to. I'm actually a Cardinal Gibbons grad and at least my class wasn't huge on the whole Catholicism thing. But my freshman theology teacher did tell me I was going to hell because I didn't go to church EVERY Sunday. She said it was okay if you were ignorant of that but now that she told the entire class there's no more excuses. So yeah it's a real mixed bag sometimes.

So that theology teacher is partially responsible for consigning scores of souls to hell that otherwise wouldn't have necessarily gone there. She was :teach:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Yeah my class at Gibbons was pretty similar in that not many of them (not Catholic myself) were huge on Catholicism. Never did get told by a teacher I was going to hell though. Brother Gary did tell our Western Civ class to die one day whilst flipping us all off. That was a good one.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

See, I went to Gibbons as well, and it was their theology class that caused me and a few others to "lose the faith."

They didn't do anything wrong. In fact, they were very knowledgeable about the subject. But it was more about the idea of "You HAVE to believe this to be Catholic" and me realizing "I don't actually believe that. So I guess I'm not Catholic then?"

But it helped a lot. Took a LOT of "Catholic guilt" off my shoulders, caused me to seriously examine what I believed and research if any religions out there fit that belief better (even took a World Religions course in college).

And I like to think most teachers would prefer that pursuit of knowledge over blind ignorance.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
you know what the crazy thing is, I could actually see him doing a full heel turn in Toronto and signing here next off-season on a short "get me a f***ing cup" deal while also fixing our #2 C hole.

After the tax shit he has gone through to sign with the Leafs, I could see him deciding that a low tax locale would be preferable. The Canes are sort of that, but not the best example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad