Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The idea of being vulnerable on a bicycle on the side of the road while several ton machines traveling potentially 30mph+ are barreling down just to your left from behind where you can't see them coming just doesn't appeal to me either.

Tragic accident here, we don't know all the details and I'm not at all trying to put any blame on Johnny and his brother, but like Negan suggested, riding a bicycle at night is really a very dangerous activity. Helps to have extremely well lit/visible reflective clothing with proper protection as mentioned above, but still dangerous knowing the quality of the drivers out there. Not saying people shouldn't ride bikes on the street, obviously there aren't really many better options and cyclists I know are super passionate about it. But this type of thing is one of the reasons I will ride motocross tracks and dirt bikes fast as hell on trails but will barely touch a street bike. Putting your life in other people's hands, and unfortunately driving drunk/while texting is all too common these days.

Yeah, no- I don't want to suggest I'm blaming Johnny. But the roads are so unsafe I'm completely paranoid just driving a car. Would never ride a motorcycle and on the rare occasions I ride a bike its on the Greenway. Wouldn't dream of riding a bike on main roads.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah, no- I don't want to suggest I'm blaming Johnny. But the roads are so unsafe I'm completely paranoid just driving a car. Would never ride a motorcycle and on the rare occasions I ride a bike its on the Greenway. Wouldn't dream of riding a bike on main roads.
It absolutely sucks how the roads have gotten so dangerous because of phones and distracted driving these days. Everyone knows the root cause and yet we kinda just live with it.
Don’t even get me started on how a DUI conviction is merely an inconvenience in a lot of places.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Also watching the Guardians game and they just had a moment of silence in honor and tribute of Johnny and Matthew.
Had one tonight in Trenton as well:
20240830_190029.jpg

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I dont really want to be an a-hole in this situation but I really am curious what happens in this situation. @Lempo
The contract comes off the books the same as a non 35+ signed contract retirement would. I believe Columbus is under the cap floor as of now. Im guessing they will be granted a waiver, if they ask for one. I don’t think they will spend much to sign the available UFAs

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I dont really want to be an a-hole in this situation but I really am curious what happens in this situation. @Lempo

It's kind of curious really, but the SPC makes no mention whatsoever what will happen if the player dies during the time concerned in the SPC, and the CBA only mentions the death of a player in the paragraph about the League-provided insurance and in relation to long-term contracts entered into prior the year 2013 so under the previous CBA (where the death is an exception from the cap recapture protocol) in CBA 50.5(d)(ii)(B). So what NGB said is valid I guess, but we'll probbaly get reported it soon enough.

It's not being asshole really; from the management side of things Columbus needs to know the particulars today (sadly I think they already knew the rules beforehad).

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The contract comes off the books the same as a non 35+ signed contract retirement would. I believe Columbus is under the cap floor as of now. Im guessing they will be granted a waiver, if they ask for one. I don’t think they will spend much to sign the available UFAs
Yeah, about $3.2 million under the floor. I'm sure the NHL would give them that waiver, but I suspect they'll grab a couple of guys.

I know Patches is doing a PTO in Montreal, but I'd throw him a contract as a veteran presence. Vrana is also on a PTO and could be worth a look if his substance issues are in the rearview. Tyler Johnson could probably still eat minutes and put up a few points. Kevin Labanc was a useful guy not long ago.

They're certainly not going to replace Johnny Hockey, but I'd bet they'll sign a few guys right before camp who'll be happy just to continue their careers.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
A couple miles north of 540 there is a few stretches of roads between Creedmoor and Six Forks that just has groups of bikers going at all times of day that take up full lanes on 2 lane roads, and I avoid it like the plague because it does get to be a bit dangerous.

Fact of the matter is, cars have gotten too wide to share the road with bikers. And unless we start widening some of these roads and giving bikers their own dedicates lanes, these kind of incidents will only become more frequent going forward.

I haven’t lived in the Raleigh area in a long time, but it was probably the most bike unfriendly place I have lived. I’m guessing I’d probably stick to trails if I were to go back.

North Raleigh used to be very rural and good for bikes but now just like the rest of the Triangle it’s been developed.
I have ridden several thousand miles on those roads. As said they used to be much more rural and safer. Some of those organized rides have been riding those routes every week for over 25 years, me a lot longer than that.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad