Around the League 44: The Three Thousand Mile Final

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Martinook = #hegone... unless Brind'Amour has a say and he somehow gets a 5th year to lower the cap hit... never say never, but I think the Canes may try to find the next Martinook at this point.
It wouldn't surprise me but I'm still holding out hope. Joshua is 4 years younger with similar production to Marty this past season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There's a decent chance of this being a "buy high" scenario
It certainly could be. He's got a good style of play, but as I recall he doesn't generate a ton of shots. He can maybe get away with it from the dirty areas but he likely will move back down to like 20-25 points and it'll be a meh contract at best.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It wouldn't surprise me but I'm still holding out hope. Joshua is 4 years younger with similar production to Marty this past season.

True, but also far less of a track record. That contract is a huge gamble on this year being the real Joshua moving forward, and considering shooting percentage, that's asking... a lot. Could work out, though, I won't say never.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
It certainly could be. He's got a good style of play, but as I recall he doesn't generate a ton of shots. He can maybe get away with it from the dirty areas but he likely will move back down to like 20-25 points and it'll be a meh contract at best.

True, but also far less of a track record. That contract is a huge gamble on this year being the real Joshua moving forward, and considering shooting percentage, that's asking... a lot. Could work out, though, I won't say never.
I don't disagree with either but I think with the cap increases this is going to be closer to the new normal for 3rd to 4th line tweeners with "intangibles"

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Just a reminder Guentzel was on a 120 pt pace during his regular season games with the Canes.

Aho was on a 101 pt pace with Guentzel around.

Jarvis 82 pts.

But we all know Brindy will never play that trio together again.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Just a reminder Guentzel was on a 120 pt pace during his regular season games with the Canes.

Aho was on a 101 pt pace with Guentzel around.

Jarvis 82 pts.

But we all know Brindy will never play that trio together again.
*Canes PP failing miserably and generating nothing*
RBA: "If we just keep doing the same f***ing thing it has to work eventually, right?"

*GAJ struggling for 1 game after lighting it up for 15-20*
RBA: "Time to break these guys up, they're just not working"

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
RBA: "If we just keep doing the same f***ing thing it has to work eventually, right?"

That's called learning.

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

8eui.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nobody is saying he's good defensively. Literally nobody. "Not as bad as many metrics claim because he has elements to his game that aren't traditional defense but have defensive effects" is a totally different argument, and one that is rarely engaged in any sort of good faith. What you are doing is a strawman argument- you pretend your opponents are arguing something they aren't arguing, and then argue against that imagined position, not the one they're actually taking.

Let me be brief and more succinct so as to not be confusing and accused of a straw man.

My view is that his defensive play IS as bad as many metrics claim, and that being good at takeaways doesn't have enough "defensive effects" to offset it. That's the base of what I've been saying for 2 pages now.

It's fine if you disagree, but there is a lot more data that supports it, as well as how coaches have used and deployed him and how many in the media and statistics world (as well as fans) view him.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Mangiapane to Washington for a 2025 2nd

Weird trade for Calgary. They're only getting Colorado's 2nd because they're dumping all of the $5.8M remaining. I don't think they're planning to spend to the cap this year...are they? Maybe I'm the crazy one, but he seems like a good candidate to retain 50% on in order to get a higher pick from somebody. Conroy and the Flames seem quite conservative with salary retention and bad contracts, though (for example, they took a 2nd and a mediocre prospect for Tanev instead of a 1st from Edmonton because they didn't want the Ceci contract). It might be coming from ownership.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Weird trade for Calgary. They're only getting Colorado's 2nd because they're dumping all of the $5.8M remaining. I don't think they're planning to spend to the cap this year...are they? Maybe I'm the crazy one, but he seems like a good candidate to retain 50% on in order to get a higher pick from somebody.
Honestly unless mang goes back to 21-22 numbers, the best they would get at the deadline is a late 2nd anyways

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Honestly unless mang goes back to 21-22 numbers, the best they would get at the deadline is a late 2nd anyways

I checked their cap books, and they do have Kuzmenko and Sharangovich as guys who they can use a retention slot for. That might be where the Flames want to prioritize salary retention for. Sharangovich in particular could get a large haul at the next deadline.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Maybe it’s just me getting older now but in a way it’s kind of a shame that the one-dimensional players are getting phased out with every young player being so good at everything. Like it was kinda cool in its own way to have such varying skill profiles in the league as like a Brett Hull who couldn’t really skate but was a wizard with the puck or like a Hal Gill who couldn’t really do much with the puck but was good at making life hell for forwards… I know it’s natural evolution and of course every player wants to be well rounded and is coached to be well rounded. Anyway I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time
The same thing happened in mma and I find it much less entertaining.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad