Around the League 44: The Three Thousand Mile Final

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
They have the cap room and he's still a good, useful vet with experience in winning organizations. Honestly, smart move for San Jose.
the dude is a net negative by a good margin. could have easily gotten something for taking on the contract.

Reactions: Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
1718820841912.png

dont put in a claim and either tell Rangers pay me something to take this on or buy him out.

the deal was bad from the signing because the Rangers were scared of playing Wilson in the playoffs. doesnt make any sense for SJS to claim him via waivers.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
View attachment 884440
dont put in a claim and either tell Rangers pay me something to take this on or buy him out.

the deal was bad from the signing because the Rangers were scared of playing Wilson in the playoffs. doesnt make any sense for SJS to claim him via waivers.
Okay, worse stats over the full year than I had known, but he was very good against us in the playoffs, which is most of what my recent knowledge of him is. And if the Sharks get that version, they'll be happy.

But the Sharks have the cap room, and are holding that cap room available for their young players, they're not signing stars to compete now. There's no opportunity cost in terms of signing other players like there is for competitive teams, they wouldn't have done that regardless. So they get an elite PKer for free. It costs them nothing to do this. Maybe they could have squeezed a mid or late round pick out of the Rangers, but ultimately, whatever. Free is free. There's no possible downside for the Sharks.

GQdIPz6XIAED4Cc

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Okay, worse stats over the full year than I had known, but he was very good against us in the playoffs, which is most of what my recent knowledge of him is. And if the Sharks get that version, they'll be happy.

But the Sharks have the cap room, and are holding that cap room available for their young players, they're not signing stars to compete now. They get an elite PKer for free. It costs them nothing to do this. Maybe they could have squeezed a mid or late round pick out of the Rangers, but ultimately, whatever.

GQdIPz6XIAED4Cc
playoff success for the worst team in the league seems pretty irrelevant. Add in he was still owned in 5v5 play despite having a ridiculous 40% shooting percentage.

its a bad move for a team that should be holding other teams hostage for cap space in order to increase their changes of drafting diamonds on the rough in the mid rounds. Grier is just helping out a former working buddy.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
playoff success for the worst team in the league seems pretty irrelevant. Add in he was still owned in 5v5 play despite having a ridiculous 40% shooting percentage.

its a bad move for a team that should be holding other teams hostage for cap space in order to increase their changes of drafting diamonds on the rough in the mid rounds. Grier is just helping out a former working buddy.
You don't think leadership from a guy who's won two cups and a President's Trophy isn't helpful for the development of young players?

And not everything is about being as cutthroat as possible. San Jose gets a guy they think can be a leader for their kids who's still a useful 3rd/4th liner for free. The Rangers get rid of a contract that was hurting them. Both teams win.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
You don't think leadership from a guy who's won two cups and a President's Trophy isn't helpful for the development of young players?

And not everything is about being as cutthroat as possible. San Jose gets a guy they think can be a leader for their kids who's still a useful 3rd/4th liner for free. The Rangers get rid of a contract that was hurting them. Both teams win.
there is a fine line at doing what is best for your organization and being too cut throat that your peers wont trade with you. But Grier couldnt even see the line. I didnt say he should have demanded 2 1sts to dump the contract. But he should have gotten a couple of mid round picks. i dont think that is too much or being too cut throat.

Reactions: DaveG

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Can't blame these GM's to start making moves before the Finals are over because the NHL decided to have 3 years inbetween each game.

Also, the Goodrow thing to me, is easy to figure out. San Jose claims him, buys him out and he re-signs with NYR at a cheaper rate a la Orpik did with COL/WSH. The Rangers and Sharks then probably make another deal that gives SJ an asset for scraps.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I can see why Washington does that PLD trade. With one move and with no assets spent, their forward group around Ovechkin is so much younger now. It's a huge red flag, though, that LA is dumping him so quickly after he signed that extension. The Caps are going to have plenty of cap space as they go through a retool phase, though, so the contract probably isn't as burdensome for Washington than for a cap ceiling club like LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad