Value of: Mangiapane to Buffalo? What would it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Calgary is looking to rebuild on the fly, Buffalo needs a top 6 player who can actually play defense. He looked great for Canada playing with Cozens. What would Calgary be interested in to work out a trade between the two?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I doubt Calgary would let him go for a 3rd round pick. He is more valuable to them playing here and even though we are re-tooling on the fly there will not be a fire sale.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I doubt Calgary would let him go for a 3rd round pick. He is more valuable to them playing here and even though we are re-tooling on the fly there will not be a fire sale.
If the Flames want Coronato in the top 9, which they do, somebody has to go. You can't keep every veteran.

Could they get more at the deadline? Maybe. They could also get less or nothing if Mangiapane struggles or gets injured. Plus and most importantly, it'd block the development of a potentially important piece for the future.

Flames get a whole lot more from Coronato being an everyday regular in the top 9 than having Mangiapane stick around for 4 utterly meaningless months.

3rd round pick is very doable.
Well that was easy :cheers:

Reactions: HitterD

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Keep in mind that the cap space is very valuable too. Calgary has always like grabbing RFA and adding their own value by doing well on the extensions.

It'd be nice for more than a 3rd, but I think that's fair for no retention. That's also extra assets from where we drafted him and I think he'd flourish playing closer to home (doing him a solid). I'd consider it. it's Zadorov vibes again. Want more, but don't under estimate cap as a premium.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If the Flames want Coronato in the top 9, which they do, somebody has to go. You can't keep every veteran.

Could they get more at the deadline? Maybe. They could also get less or nothing if Mangiapane struggles or gets injured. Plus and most importantly, it'd block the development of a potentially important piece for the future.

Flames get a whole lot more from Coronato being an everyday regular in the top 9 than having Mangiapane stick around for 4 utterly meaningless months.

Well that was easy :cheers:
Coronato has to make the team let alone top nine. He needs to improve his skating if he ever hopes to be an everyday NHL'er.

He is also a right wing whereas Pelletier is a left wing.

The argument to move Mangiapane to make room for a younger player is stronger for Pelletier, although the Flames could switch Coleman to the left side to make room for Coronato.

Bottom line is that the Flames aren't going to gift a spot for these kids. Mangiapane's production has dipped probably from his shoulder injury the previous season.

I think they'll keep him for most of the season with the view that he will up his scoring and grow his value. Then they will look to monetize that value with a trade.

Alternatively he will be packaged with another to return a roster player or higher pick than a 3rd.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
They aren't retaining anything for a third.

Bit overpaid but he's better than his points suggest. Reading the athletic and they claim he's our best winger.

I'd hold until the deadline

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If a team offers anything of value for a 6 mill 40 point winger Calgary should take it and run
That’s normal these days. 5-6M for 40pts

He has 1 yr left so it doesn’t matter too much anyway

They’ll get a pick for him, just a matter of when

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Coronato has to make the team let alone top nine. He needs to improve his skating if he ever hopes to be an everyday NHL'er.

He is also a right wing whereas Pelletier is a left wing.

The argument to move Mangiapane to make room for a younger player is stronger for Pelletier, although the Flames could switch Coleman to the left side to make room for Coronato.

Bottom line is that the Flames aren't going to gift a spot for these kids. Mangiapane's production has dipped probably from his shoulder injury the previous season.

I think they'll keep him for most of the season with the view that he will up his scoring and grow his value. Then they will look to monetize that value with a trade.

Alternatively he will be packaged with another to return a roster player or higher pick than a 3rd.
With regards to the bolded, it's not 2006 anymore and Darryl Sutter's long gone.

It's not "gifting"; it's putting players in positions to succeed. And that's something both Conroy and Huska have said repeatedly.

And spots have to actually be open in the top 9 if they want a prospect to grab it

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Depends if it's retained or at the TDL. If it's now at full cap hit I'd see it like others and say a 3rd. If it's at the TDL or retained 2nd+.

EDIT: Or Krebs if you value him at a 3rd. I value him somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd, but may be in the minority.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
What about something like Krebs for Mangiapane? Krebs is young, has team control and is undoubtedly a center. His ceiling is the question -- is he an actual middle 6 guy or is he a fringe 3rd/decent 4th line center?

Of course, that would mean that Buffalo would actually have to get an actual 3rd line center. And a 4th line center.

But that's a different discussion altogether.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What about something like Krebs for Mangiapane? Krebs is young, has team control and is undoubtedly a center. His ceiling is the question -- is he an actual middle 6 guy or is he a fringe 3rd/decent 4th line center?

Of course, that would mean that Buffalo would actually have to get an actual 3rd line center. And a 4th line center.

Ya Krebs checks off a lot of boxes. Guys even from Calgary.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Depends if it's retained or at the TDL. If it's now at full cap hit I'd see it like others and say a 3rd. If it's at the TDL or retained 2nd+.

EDIT: Or Krebs if you value him at a 3rd. I value him somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd, but may be in the minority.

That makes a lot of sense actually. Fills a need and Krebs still has more upside than a 3rd. I like this as a basis.

Otherwise, if all we’re getting is a 3rd we may as well hold onto him and retain on him at the deadline or swap him for a slightly more expensive longer-term cap dump and a better pick.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I am very unfamiliar with Duehr. Literally the only thing I know about him is he has a $825k cap hit and played 40 games last year.

What kind of player is he? Any upside?

Rosen is a damned good prospect..........
He's a prototypical 4th liner with size, speed and a shot. He has no hands or hockey sense. I wouldn't say there is upside there no. It would be a terrible use of a good trade chip.

You aren’t getting Rosen unless Anderssen is coming back.

At $6M there really is not much of a market for mango without retention.
I'm in agreement with your point. I do think a player like Coleman is worth Rosen though. Weegar too. You'd be adding quite a bit to Rosen for Andersson. A 1st round pick at minimum.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's a prototypical 4th liner with size, speed and a shot. He has no hands or hockey sense. I wouldn't say there is upside there no. It would be a terrible use of a good trade chip.

We do need a 4th liner, for sure. And I'd be willing to add to Krebs to get Manga and Duehr. But from the sounds of it, Rosen is far too much of an add.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
We do need a 4th liner, for sure. And I'd be willing to add to Krebs to get Manga and Duehr. But from the sounds of it, Rosen is far too much of an add.
Way too much. Duehr is worth like a 6th round pick or something like that. Rosen is worth a 1st. Mangiapane is worth a 3rd, Krebs is worth a 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad