Around the League 44: The Three Thousand Mile Final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The league loves a big center.

The spin a certain fanbase tries to put on Kotkaniemi, that he's one of the worst contracts in the league, is bullshit.

Exactly. This is also why I'm deeply skeptical that the Canes trade KK unless they absolutely need the cap space (If the Canes can get Guentzel signed to a fair-for-both-sides contract, that changes the calculus, but the Canes don't ever desperately chase players by going way over their evaluations). They have too long a history of being picky with UFA contracts to believe they need to clear the contract of an under-25 center.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
there is a fine line at doing what is best for your organization and being too cut throat that your peers wont trade with you. But Grier couldnt even see the line. I didnt say he should have demanded 2 1sts to dump the contract. But he should have gotten a couple of mid round picks. i dont think that is too much or being too cut throat.
If Goodrow had a NTC how could Grier get anything for him?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Then you don’t take on a bad contract. Pretty simple
Probably aren’t a lot of two time cup champs banging down the doors to sign in free agency in San Jose right now. Celebrini and Smith need somebody to teach them how to be pros.

Its a bas contract, but they are nore likely trying to get to the cap floor than worrying about exceeding it the next 2-3 years.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We might be seeing a dispute with the NHLPA very soon: just like I speculated this morning, the Goodrow waiver claim looks like it might have been a way for San Jose to dodge Goodrow's 15-team NTC. I would recommend to keep your ears open for a picks for FC trade in the coming days. Link: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/san-j...angers-sharks-believed-to-be-on-no-trade-list
It will be less obvious than that. Much like our deal with Philly after TDA was bought out

Reactions: DaveG and Lempo

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
We might be seeing a dispute with the NHLPA very soon: just like I speculated this morning, the Goodrow waiver claim looks like it might have been a way for San Jose to dodge Goodrow's 15-team NTC. I would recommend to keep your ears open for a picks for FC trade in the coming days. Link: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/san-j...angers-sharks-believed-to-be-on-no-trade-list
Wonder if there will be rules that future NTCs apply to waiver claims too? Or maybe they remove waivers from buyout process and just allow the buyout?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Wonder if there will be rules that future NTCs apply to waiver claims too? Or maybe they remove waivers from buyout process and just allow the buyout?
That's the difference between a No Trade Clause and a No Movement Clause. Can't really see the PA having any real leg to stand on here, even if the Rangers did just so happen to double check with certain teams to see if somebody would take him. I mean, less generously it may have been arraigned, but hey, play better.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
It will be less obvious than that. Much like our deal with Philly after TDA was bought out
Not really a comparable case, as Tony probably didn't have a problem with being traded back here and Canes did compensate to him in salary the money that Tony ended up losing in the buyout. (He did become the butt of the only NHler to be bought out twice joke, buuut...). No one probably ended up being screwed in the process in the end, including the League.

But this here is bullshit. Barclay did presumably leave some money on table to get his NTC and he apparently got shenanigized to be paid that lesser salary for playing in his presumably NTC covered undesired location.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
That's the difference between a No Trade Clause and a No Movement Clause.
Very literally so. The CBA has clear stipulations that a team don't get to waiver a SPC with a NMC without the player agreeing to that.

But, the team can't circumvent the NTC by using the waivers procedure to get around a NTC. Though, if there were other claimers besides SJS, the situation gets iffy because he could be said to be legitly waivered in that case.

(c) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict the Club's Buy-Out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twentyfour (24) hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed rejected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad