Around the League 44: The Three Thousand Mile Final

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Interesting:

They won’t get any one of those three to give them a cent of a discount. They’re Toronto with better players and it will difficult for them to win it all, but it’s hard to argue with keeping the best players in the game. They’ve made the finals with essentially half a team and mediocre goaltending.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
And thats what I was getting at, Rod was a much better coach, maybe not strategically but overall he was worlds better with the other stuff.
I mean, Rod doesn't have a rigid system that attempts to game particular metrics as if they were a cheat code. Peters had a rigid "One Simple Trick that the NHL Hates!" system to cheat coding his way to wins. The trouble is that it didn't work.

Rod's system has some specific elements such as aggressive pinching and full time man to man defense, but at its core it's just 'play old time hockey the way you learned it, don't cheat on the details, play aggressively with as much pace as you can'. As much as we'd like to see more clever schemes on the powerplay and better in game adjustments to things the other team is doing, as a base philosophy I think it's a better one than trying to impose a rigid scheme that doesn't always fit your players and gets mediocre results at best.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes the coach giving up a little control and trusting the players *is* the better strategy.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
They won’t get any one of those three to give them a cent of a discount. They’re Toronto with better players and it will difficult for them to win it all, but it’s hard to argue with keeping the best players in the game. They’ve made the finals with essentially half a team and mediocre goaltending.
While I agree, I'd personally consider trading Drai for a haul and use the space/assets to help bolster the D and goaltending.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
While I agree, I'd personally consider trading Drai for a haul and use the space/assets to help bolster the D and goaltending.
Who’d give them a true haul? He’s a rental right now. If I were him I wouldn’t sign with anyone, even if they traded for me. His next contract is huge for him, and he can choose where he goes for the rest of his prime. I wouldnt want us to rent him for a year.

I know the ideal is they sign and trade him, but like I said if I was him I wouldn’t do that.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Who’d give them a true haul? He’s a rental right now. If I were him I wouldn’t sign with anyone, even if they traded for me. His next contract is huge for him, and he can choose where he goes for the rest of his prime. I wouldnt want us to rent him for a year.

I know the ideal is they sign and trade him, but like I said if I was him I wouldn’t do that.
Depends on if he already knows where he wants to go and that team is the one that trades for him early ala tkachuk and Florida. He set the teams he would re sign with, then the team got a haul they never expected to get (whether it was as good a haul now with hindsight is debatable with how bad Hubs has been) and tkachuk went somewhere he wanted on the contract he wanted..

If Drai agent had permission to speak to teams and figure out the market and possible terms he could demand on a sign and trade then it for sure would be the better approach than having Toronto with better players... at least for longer term potential... not that they really have to worry about selling tickets to regular season games..... they were pretty full even when they were awful even with 15 #1 picks in 15 years it seemed..

Having to ice 11 forwards and 7 dmen and 2 goalies for 38 million if mcdavid drai and Bouchard cost 50m alone (with nurse stuck on the books) is likely too much of a drain on the pro scouting and rest of the org to find enough bargains to balance it out.. they haven't exactly been a rousing success thus far when those 3 cost a fraction of that cap percentage... as great as Drai is, and he is an elite difference maker, the play is to keep McJesus and try to convert Drai into some good cost controlled assets... Drai is hitting the point they just can't afford to keep him because unlike prime Crosby/Malkin, they aren't taking a hometown discount to offset and help pay for the rest of the team...

Last edited:

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
It's possible. Tkachuk was an RFA though so he had fewer options.
Huh?

Tkachuk had the exact same options as Drai would in this kind of scenario…

Tkachuk flat out told the team up front that there was no way he was signing long term with them. He was leaving as soon as he could. Calgary could force the issue and keep him for another year. But he would hit UFA eventually and he was gone. So they could keep him until he hit UFA or they could try to work out a sign and trade deal so the team didn’t lose him for nothing like they just had done with Gaudreau…

It was fairly stand up of him. He could have played games and walked for nothing. But he controlled his destiny and he also ensured the team got max return on the trade.

But Tkachuk had all the power in that situation. He gave the team a list of teams he would sign an extension with, because the only way the team got max return was if he signed an extension as part of the deal. He picked the teams he would go to and then Calgary got to have an auction and get a big return from within the list of teams he provided.

If he wanted to do it, Drai could do the exact same thing here…. He could give the list of teams up front if he already knows where he wants to go. If he isn’t sure exactly where he would want to go, he could ask the Oilers to let his agent reach out and talk to some teams he might be interested in to help set up the list.

But it’s basically the same kind of deal. The best deal for the Oilers most likely comes only if Drai signs as part of the deal, same as in the Tkachuk situation. RFA or UFA doesn’t really matter…. Both would have been looking at an 8 year extension at big money…. It’s just going to be a bigger contract for Drai than the bargain Tkachuk signed for and the return going back to the Oilers likely would be even bigger given the player that Drai is going that way…

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So what would be the hockey equivalent of a Dallas Mavericks 38 point game 4 elimination avoiding blowout of the Celtics? 6-1? 7-1?

(I don't want to jinx the Oilers, but 5-1 five 5 minutes into the 2nd isn't a bad start)
Welp Florida getting clowned 8-1 with a few min left now

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad