Around the League 44: The Three Thousand Mile Final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Hopefully Finland wins gold in Milan and Niko Mikkola becomes the first Finn in the Quadruple Gold Club. Because that would be kind of funny.

Reactions: geehaad and Lempo

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Lorentz out there

Its really frustrating to watch Florida have the success they are because, for all intents and purposes, there's really no excuse for us to not be there. They are everything we wanted our franchise to be, and they built it up under our nose, using some major pieces we either let walk away (Forsling, Maurice) or they beat us for (Tkachuck). They are better than us at pretty much every facet of the game, and they have the higher end talent locked up long-term that we're letting walk away because the price might be too high.

Hard to look at what they have done and not feel a little hopeless about the short term future of the Canes, because the last couple years, as good as we have been, they're better, and I don't know if our front office has the desire to do what is necessary to change that. We'll hide behind excuses and tropes like "hockey is weird", or "the playoffs are a coin flip" and just continue BAU going forward of being good, just never good enough.
Bob vs Andersen is the difference

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Success in sport and just life in general owes a whole lot more to luck than a lot of people are comfortable with accepting
Some, sure. But far too often people will brush away legitimate weaknesses and deficiencies as bad luck and wonder why certain franchises and teams are incapable of taking that next step.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
20240625_101157.jpg

Lomberg looks like Rod

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
RND is a bullshit pseudo random number generator! It actually uses the internal time and real time clock to "generate" supposed "random" numbers!

Raises an interesting philosophical question: is there any way to generate a truly random number? You could do things like taking multiple iterations and methods of choosing seeds and small enough time increments (nanoseconds) to come up with a number that is effectively random, but if you could model the process well enough your result could be duplicated and therefore not truly random.

I've got it: base the whole thing on whether or not something is called goalie interference; that's truly random!

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Its really frustrating to watch Florida have the success they are because, for all intents and purposes, there's really no excuse for us to not be there. They are everything we wanted our franchise to be, and they built it up under our nose, using some major pieces we either let walk away (Forsling, Maurice) or they beat us for (Tkachuck). They are better than us at pretty much every facet of the game, and they have the higher end talent locked up long-term that we're letting walk away because the price might be too high.

Hard to look at what they have done and not feel a little hopeless about the short term future of the Canes, because the last couple years, as good as we have been, they're better, and I don't know if our front office has the desire to do what is necessary to change that. We'll hide behind excuses and tropes like "hockey is weird", or "the playoffs are a coin flip" and just continue BAU going forward of being good, just never good enough.
There are some decent points in here but some of it is just false. The Mo thing aside, who are these players the Panthers signed long term that the Canes are letting walk?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Raises an interesting philosophical question: is there any way to generate a truly random number? You could do things like taking multiple iterations and methods of choosing seeds and small enough time increments (nanoseconds) to come up with a number that is effectively random, but if you could model the process well enough your result could be duplicated and therefore not truly random.

I've got it: base the whole thing on whether or not something is called goalie interference; that's truly random!
Don't know the website but I had some nerd friends in college who showed me a website that generated random numbers based on the frequency of live captured data of neutrinos striking the atmosphere.

Good God it is impossible to type on my phone with all these damned ads. It's like my adblock is adding MORE ads to my screen.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’d consider taking RBA’s career over Roenick’s, but those early years in Chicago he was at times the best player in the league. He was Yzerman/Sakic level for the Hawks, amazing individual player. I think Rod aged better as an all around player. Hard to argue Datsyuk. I’m meh on Weber, great player but I don’t know about hof so soon.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Oof, but accurate

I’d consider taking RBA’s career over Roenick’s, but those early years in Chicago he was at times the best player in the league. He was Yzerman/Sakic level for the Hawks, amazing individual player. I think Rod aged better as an all around player. Hard to argue Datsyuk. I’m meh on Weber, great player but I don’t know about hof so soon.
Every year that passes I'm more inclined to agree with the rumor that he's being held out because he ripped the Cup out of Gary's hands in 2006

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Lorentz out there

Bob vs Andersen is the difference
Actually it’s more than that.

Florida learned from last year that winning the cup demands a level of commitment that is beyond what you think is possible .

Look how committed Florida was in not only physically taking out the opposition but also with fire and intensity to protect at all costs around the net.

A prime example was late in the 3rd in a goal mouth scramble—(I didn’t catch the number) A Panther went from behind the net out front to violently throw his body across the side net front blocking an open net by McDrai; that saved a tying goal.

Canes sadly don’t have those type of players nor ever approached a level required to win a cup (it’s a part of why they lost to Rags and they were a far cry from the commitment shown by the ‘06 cup team). IMO, the Oilers would have easily handled the Canes too (btw: Oilers will be much more dangerous going forward).

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Oof, but accurate

Every year that passes I'm more inclined to agree with the rumor that he's being held out because he ripped the Cup out of Gary's hands in 2006

Was just thinking, the Blues/Knights/Panthers all won with former Sabres. If that's the key to winning a cup we may have no choice but to take back Jeff Skinner.:dunno:

Also

I'm not sure I understand this from Detroits POV

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Was just thinking, the Blues/Knights/Panthers all won with former Sabres. If that's the key to winning a cup we may have no choice but to take back Jeff Skinner.:dunno:

Also

I'm not sure I understand this from Detroits POV
I'm guessing they have a plan of some kind, but I still feel comfortable in saying Yzerman is an overrated knob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad