Around the League 44: The Three Thousand Mile Final

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
You know the name Coyotes probably is better than any that they came up with for Utah.

Just keep it.

Pretty much. I'm surprised the ECHL Grizzlies aren't moving, that's the perfect name for them in my opinion. I don't know how that's going to work, especially since they're sticking with the Avalanche as their affiliate.

Honestly the last 3 names have been dumb. I don't understand why "Knights" was such a problem but "Golden Knights" wasn't. Kraken continues to be stupid in my opinion, and none of the potential names for Utah have been good, they're all minor-leaguish at best.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
What a disaster this guy turned out to be. Glad he's out but it's at the expense of Hockey fans in Phoenix.
Merurlo is a con man and was never serious about making the Coyotes work in Arizona. If I were a Coyotes fan I would be celebrating today… maybe they can find a legit owner committed to the market.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Luostarinen seems to have been an excellent 2nd round pick for the Canes. He is one heck of an defensive forward and he saved Panthers asses a few times in the 3rd period in game 7. If only he did that with the Canes.
He played well in Carolina in limited time as a young player. He's developed well in Florida, but is the only piece from the Trocheck trade that is left in Florida.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Luostarinen seems to have been an excellent 2nd round pick for the Canes. He is one heck of an defensive forward and he saved Panthers asses a few times in the 3rd period in game 7. If only he did that with the Canes.
I feel like I remember a bunch of people not being impressed with the pick at all and having very strong opinions that he'd not amount to much. In fairness, it was an out of left field pick. But of course it wasn't like most of us had seen him play at the time. I'm glad he turned out to be such a solid role player.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I feel like I remember a bunch of people not being impressed with the pick at all and having very strong opinions that he'd not amount to much. In fairness, it was an out of left field pick. But of course it wasn't like most of us had seen him play at the time. I'm glad he turned out to be such a solid role player.

This is what I posted in Jan 2019 about an Nov 2018 evaluation piece in Finnish, but what people most picked up back then was the Smurf lemonade.
Artturi Lehkonen's dad thinks Eetu is 21-22 months away from NHL (at that time). Needs skating speed, skating stamina, skating skill, defense. When you get the chance, you'll need to get the dressing room's acceptance, and they value guys doing the winning things; and you need to be the coach's pet, not by kissing his ass but by hard athleticism from shift to shift.

Sami Kapanen's KalPa is a great place for a prospect, he's a keen coach doing things and system that benefits the young aspirants, helped Artturi a plenty.

Eetu bought a bottle of Smurf lemonade on the late night bus journey back home, next day Sami brought a transparent mug with twenty lumps of sugar in it to the practice to make a point.

Now the goddamn Panthers got a cup to drink the lemonade from.

Luostarinen's stats since, the schedule by Artturi Lehtonen's dad wasn't far off:

luostarinen-stats.jpg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What a bad contract that ended up being. And for all the hype at the time of getting him there, didn't do anything to change the direction of the franchise, as they still haven't made the playoffs
Ended up being is a choice of words, no one thought 9 million was a good idea! I’m a Skinner guy and even I thought that was over the top. It was the cost of getting him to stay in Buffalo when he wanted to go to TO, and was the would be linemate for Eichel. Eichel played no small part in that as it seemed they had to do a lot of work trying to keep him happy. Desperate gm’ing. He had some very good seasons there, previous season with Thompson and Tuch he had a monster season. If you watch the highlights Skinner didn’t get a lot of weak assists, he made many nice passes to Thompson defying the concept of he isn’t a playmaker for others.

If TO wants him he can finally end up there for cheap, though his style will take criticism from the negative crowd before he ever puts the jersey on. Hope he goes to a playoff team.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ended up being is a choice of words, no one thought 9 million was a good idea! I’m a Skinner guy and even I thought that was over the top. It was the cost of getting him to stay in Buffalo when he wanted to go to TO, and was the would be linemate for Eichel. Eichel played no small part in that as it seemed they had to do a lot of work trying to keep him happy. Desperate gm’ing. He had some very good seasons there, previous season with Thompson and Tuch he had a monster season. If you watch the highlights Skinner didn’t get a lot of weak assists, he made many nice passes to Thompson defying the concept of he isn’t a playmaker for others.

If TO wants him he can finally end up there for cheap, though his style will take criticism from the negative crowd before he ever puts the jersey on. Hope he goes to a playoff team.
Thing is, even though we all knew that contract was stupidly expensive, I at least thought he would be a good player for them. I thought he would at least help push them to legitimate cup contention, even if his contract would become a boat anchor and prevent them from getting the pieces that pushed them over the top.

Unfortunately, he just completely gave up on trying to develop his defensive game and, while he definitely can put up some highlight plays and contribute offensively, he's TDA levels of bad in keeping the puck away from his own net. So bad that the Sabres, who absolutely are desperate to get into the playoffs, have gone to demoting him all the way down the lineup just to shelter his minutes that much because its killing them defensively.

Toronto would be stupid to go after him. As much as Necas isn't the right player for them to trade for, Skinner is even worse of a fit. He's make their weaknesses even worse and just marginally improve upon their strengths.

I could see him a fit back here, but only if you shelter him with guys who can play defensive hockey and let him roam the blue lines looking for a break-out. I could easily see him slot into the Necas spot after we trade him away, its not like we aren't used to it (even though Necas at least attempts to play defense). But I doubt he would want to come back here after the way things ended.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. Hell, I could see it be somewhere like Florida on the cheap where they're already so defensively sound they could take him on and just improve upon the roster they already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama