Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I sort of wonder if maybe he's dealing with a little impostor's syndrome. Slavin is good, but for the first time in his career he's playing with an actual Norris trophy winner. Is Slavin maybe deferring to Burns when he shouldn't, when in the past with other partners he would just take over the play and do the right thing?
The other night Tripp was talking about how vocal Burns is on the ice. I feel like Burns definitely likes to take the role of top guy when it comes to directing traffic and things of that nature. Not that it’s a bad thing but I feel like they’re still figuring out their dynamic as a pair. Burns just seems like such an outgoing personality where as Slavin is definitely more reserved.

On the other hand Slavin has had more than a handful of mistakes away from Burns on the PK, mostly mentally. Although these past few games his skating has seemed a little bit off.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
That’s actually exactly what I would want from my captain.
I’m kind of on the fence, maybe keep it in the locker room? Don’t show your opponent how rattled you are? On the other hand it’s nice to see some emotion. This to me is borderline hissy fit territory though.

Could you guys imagine if Jordan Staal was mean. Like the Tkachuk brothers. Would totally change the dynamic of the team. Sometimes I think that’s how Svech wants to play and Rod reels him in.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m kind of on the fence, maybe keep it in the locker room? Don’t show your opponent how rattled you are? On the other hand it’s nice to see some emotion. This to me is borderline hissy fit territory though.

Could you guys imagine if Jordan Staal was mean. Like the Tkachuk brothers. Would totally change the dynamic of the team. Sometimes I think that’s how Svech wants to play and Rod reels him in.
In fairness, after his outburst, the Rangers' went on to beat both STL and Vegas (in LV). Maybe it's just a coincidence and maybe it's short lived, but they were playing like ass before that.

Reactions: Stickpucker and ndp

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
In fairness, after his outburst, the Rangers' went on to beat both STL and Vegas (in LV). Maybe it's just a coincidence and maybe it's short lived, but they were playing like ass before that.
true....changing lines may also have helped. Coach moved the kids up with Zib & Tro down to the 3rd

Reactions: ndp

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
true....changing lines may also have helped. Coach moved the kids up with Zib & Tro down to the 3rd
Kinda / kinda not (in terms of line numbering).

Against Vegas:
Zib played 20:43(11:58 5v5) and Trocheck played 18:10 (12:58 5v50, Chytl played 16:08 (11:43 5v5), Kakko as a winger played 22 min (12:34 5v5), but Laf played 13:53 (11:57 5v5). Kratsov didn't play. So Trocheck had the most 5v5 TOI among Centeres and the 2nd most total TOI

The 3 lines of played almost the exact same amount 5v5 with Trocheck's line being 2nd.

Laf-Zib-Kakko (9:57)
Vesey-Trocheck-Kreider (9:45)
Panarin-Chytl-Goodrow (9:37)

Against STL, Trocheck played 18:14 (15:48 5v5), Zib played 18:05 (12:37 5v5), Chytl didn't play (injured?), Kratsov played 13:59 (all 5v5), Kakko played 12:59 (11:07 5v5), and Laf played 12:25 (11:34 5v5). So Trocheck had the most 5v5 TOI and the most OA TOI among centers.

at 5v5, Zib played 4:40 with Kakko and Laf, and 4:55 with Kreider and Vesey
at 5v5, Trocheck played 12:31 with Panarin and Kratsov, the line with the most 5v5 TOI of any by a good margin.

You can call Tro the "3rd line" but he had the either the 1st or 2nd most TOI in both games and the most 5v5 TOI in both games.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I was looking forward to watching the Sens and Jason Robertson tonight … turned out I only saw the Sens. I didn’t notice him more than once or twice. I’m disappointed! Never really seen him play.

His hot streak ended. Cosmic balance now says he has to go 18 games without a point.
Dang, did I jinx him? If I'd known I had those kinds of powers I would have saved it for one of our opponents

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Toronto’s goalies gambles are paying off. Getting paid a 3rd and a 7th to take on Murray might have been light for me but the risk worked.

As much as Toronto fans hate Marner, that dude is on fire.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

LBS I Digress

Jan 30, 2022
Diggin In
Don’t crucify me but it looks like the leafs might be the team this year. They really play one of the best defensive styles of hockey I’ve seen the past few years.

I was at the PNC when they played the Canes in November and that is maybe the most frustrating game I’ve watched all year. They absolutely suffocated us getting into the offensive zone and made us resort to constant dumping and chasing instead of a more of hybrid approach.

Hopefully that’s something that can be offset by the intensity of the postseason but they really lulled us to sleep that game and are doing a fantastic job of taking the majority of their opponents out of the game offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad