Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
On a funny note, Eric Staal's had a 2 game point streak after a main board thread was posted on the fact that he was cooked. It's funny how that works. I mean, he clearly is in his "get a Cup before retirement" circuit tour phase, similar to someone like Kessel, Stastny, or his brother Marc, but I think that fans underrate the playing ability of uber-vet guys on the roster fringe sometimes, especially the ones that are good enough to still get one year pacts after their big-money contract days. I'm not talking so much about guys that are only on NHL rosters because of their contracts, like Lucic, Zaitsev, etc., but the former type.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
On a funny note, Eric Staal's had a 2 game point streak after a main board thread was posted on the fact that he was cooked. It's funny how that works. I mean, he clearly is in his "get a Cup before retirement" circuit tour phase, similar to someone like Kessel, Stastny, or his brother Marc, but I think that fans underrate the playing ability of uber-vet guys on the roster fringe sometimes, especially the ones that are good enough to still get one year pacts after their big-money contract days. I'm not talking so much about guys that are only on NHL rosters because of their contracts, like Lucic, Zaitsev, etc., but the former type.

How often does it really work out though where a washed up vet really helps a team? Going off recent memory:

Perry has come close in MTL and TBL, but TBL had 2 straight cups before he got there and MTL was Carey'd by Price.
Spezza still had more game was actually still decent in Toronto, but never helped them get over the hump.
Thornton was, IMO, a detriment to the both the Leafs and Panthers
Keith to the Oilers wasn't great (albeit, the Oilers have more issues).
Chara didn't help either the Caps or islanders

Trying to think what washed up vets on a roster fringe really was meaningful to a team?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I have a relative that is a Canucks fan. He says Boeser is just so slow and offense just dies on his stick. He's been saying this for a couple years. I don't watch the Canucks to know enough, but would hate to get even slower.
The only argument for is that he’s a shooter. He’s a natural goal scorer when he’s on. He’s pretty similar to Patches to me, other than he has more years and is younger. He’s definitely been struggling with the Nucks, it seemed like he’s taken his fathers passing hard and things just haven’t gone well for him there. I could see him as a reclamation turning out well. He reminds me of when Toffolli looked done like dinner.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
How often does it really work out though where a washed up vet really helps a team? Going off recent memory:

Perry has come close in MTL and TBL, but TBL had 2 straight cups before he got there and MTL was Carey'd by Price.
Spezza still had more game was actually still decent in Toronto, but never helped them get over the hump.

Trying to think what washed up vets on a roster fringe really was meaningful to a team?

Maybe Gary Robert's but the game was so much slower then. He put up pretty good playoffs well past his prime from what I recall.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
BB would be a great addition to our group. I think he would rebound and wouldn't cost much to acquire.

Problem is for me, his contract runs for 3 years. So he overlaps one year after we re-sign Pesce, Aho, Necas, etc.

Can we borrow him for 2 years? 😂

Reactions: zman77

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC

I can't really think of any in recent years... course Kessel wasn't washed up in PIT, though he was a 3rd liner. Recchi? But that's a while ago.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I can't really think of any in recent years... course Kessel wasn't washed up in PIT, though he was a 3rd liner. Recchi? But that's a while ago.
Yeah, but none of those guys were washed up vets. Kessel had 52 points on a bad AZ team last year. When we got Recchi, he had 24G, 57P in 63 games in Pittsburgh. Even when Boston got him, he was coming off a 45 point in 63Games with Tampa.

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Yeah, but none of those guys were washed up vets. Kessel had 52 points on a bad AZ team last year. When we got Recchi, he had 24G, 57P in 63 games in Pittsburgh. Even when Boston got him, he was coming off a 45 point in 63Games with Tampa.
Haha guess I'm remembering Recchi's days with PIT in the 90s, so that feels kinda washed up. And then he retired. But I was thinking Boston, not here...

Dang, I'm old!!!

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Dahlin just absolutely plastered a Shark (Nieto I think) that was coming in 1 on 1 full speed. Beautiful open ice hit. He's been very physical with a bit of a nasty streak this year.

Skinner's potted his 12th of the season as well.

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Don't look now, but Jason Robertson LEADS THE LEAGUE in goals with 23 in 25GP...not too shabby for an early 2nd round pick
I still can't believe they got him at $7.75M. I know in 4 years he'll have to resign for like $12M, but damn this is the steal of the offseason. The dude scored 41 goals, is 23 years old, and signs to less than all of the Ottawa guys took on potential deals. He's lower than any comparable I've seen.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I get why they replaced Brunette. But Maurice... You know he's going to praise the character of the team after they just miss the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad