Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
He’s “Foxing” his next locale. He is a Francophone that wants to play in Quebec. I’d not risk anything more than rental assets.

The difference between us and Winnipeg/Columbus is that the Canes are now in the start of their contention window. I think that the Canes can handle the risk just fine and can build up a convincing case to stay in Carolina over the long haul. If he still wants to go to Montreal, it'll be easy to re-package him over there since he'll just be an RFA after this season.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Hoo boy this is gonna get spicy

I mean he’s AT LEAST 2 years away from consideration from playing in the NHL.

Signing him to an NHL contract is just f***ing lunacy. Just sign him to him to an AHL contract and it’s not as big of a gong show if you really need to have this nutsack.

Boston? Of all f***ing places? Read the f***ing room Jesus Christ.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
I just don't get it at all. Team is 9-1 with good players on the way back to healthy and you think "let's take the risk of a media circus for a guy who has never played an nhl game and may never even get to"
That's what's so puzzling. There was ZERO upside to this, particularly if you piss off the room in doing so when you're clicking the way the Bruins are.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The difference between us and Winnipeg/Columbus is that the Canes are now in the start of their contention window. I think that the Canes can handle the risk just fine and can build up a convincing case to stay in Carolina over the long haul. If he still wants to go to Montreal, it'll be easy to re-package him over there since he'll just be an RFA after this season.
Why even get involved in that drama? Pay a premium to Winnipeg to acquire him at the deadline then be forced to trade him to the habs for pennies on the dollar come the summer. Seems too risky for a player with a known shitty attitude

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Am I too cynical if thinking that he was only signed so that the League gets to reject him for a publicity stunt.

No I think that thought has ran through the minds of the higher ups. "Good publicity" ( look how great we are, we are doing the right thing!) and all that.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I think that the thought process was very simple. Bruins have one of the worst prospect pools in the NHL and frequently need to rummage the dumpster-diving side of UDFA to find any prospects of note. The Miller situation is also complicated in many ways because of the age in which the crimes were committed. There's a reason why the law doesn't treat 14 year olds in the same way that they treat full-grown adults (I know that kids are sometimes tried as adults, but I personally don't think that it's right on principle). Brain development stages matter when it comes to determining to what extent treatment and/or punishment is warranted.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think that the thought process was very simple. Bruins have one of the worst prospect pools in the NHL and frequently need to rummage the dumpster-diving side of UDFA to find any prospects of note. The Miller situation is also complicated in many ways because of the age in which the crimes were committed. There's a reason why the law doesn't treat 14 year olds in the same way that they treat full-grown adults (I know that kids are sometimes tried as adults, but I personally don't think that it's right on principle). Brain development stages matter when it comes to determining to what extent treatment and/or punishment is warranted.

To my understanding, this wasn't just something that happened at 14 though. It started at 14, and went on for years. It's one thing if it's a one-time incident at 14. It's a whole different thing if it's a 17-year-old continuing a 3-year-long bullying spree.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
To my understanding, this wasn't just something that happened at 14 though. It started at 14, and went on for years. It's one thing if it's a one-time incident at 14. It's a whole different thing if it's a 17-year-old continuing a 3-year-long bullying spree.

It was the other way around. It started when Miller was 12 or 13, and he pled guilty in juvenile court to assault when he was 14. As far as we know, there have been no allegations after that fact.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It was the other way around. It started when Miller was 12 or 13, and he pled guilty in juvenile court to assault when he was 14. As far as we know, there have been no allegations after that fact.

Ah, my mistake.

Nonetheless, as he matured, he should have recognized what he did in the past was wrong and reached out to apologize. I believe the only apology the victim or their family received was court-ordered, and only after intimidating the family during said court case.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It started much earlier than that. He had been bullying him since grade 2.

The fact that the bullying started at such a young age would make this case even more complicated than I even mentioned it. You can seriously make arguments when criminal behavior starts that young that the kid's understanding of right vs. wrong was, at the very least, warped and distorted to the point that he needed treatment of some sort more than pure punishment. It's very likely that he's getting that treatment to this day. This case certainly is a great example of how sociopathy can be genetically-inclined.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The fact that the bullying started at such a young age would make this case even more complicated than I even mentioned it. You can seriously make arguments when criminal behavior starts that young that the kid's understanding of right vs. wrong was, at the very least, warped and distorted to the point that he needed treatment of some sort more than pure punishment. It's very likely that he's getting that treatment to this day. This case certainly is a great example of how sociopathy can be genetically-inclined.

He never even apologized until last week.

On Instagram

Boston royally f***ed this up. And now they're trying to claim they did a year's worth of discovery into it. And this wasn't an issue?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
This is a very very odd case to me. As TheRillest said, 14 is quite young to go ahead and staple something to an individual for the rest of his/her life. The NHL has allowed *killers of teammates* to continue to play in the league. Adults who made deadly choices. And yet … a child who did something horrendous cannot play, even tho a team (presumably) wants him to, eventually?

I look forward to a potential player with “simpler” but worse (read: not racial or disabled-related) convictions against them as a child not being able to play in the NHL. Eventually there will be a similar case and there is no chance the NHL acts similarly. And it will be stupid.

And a big, hearty LOL at Akim Aliu being at the forefront of this, and all, hockey related culture bashings. The guy who broke a girl’s face in a bar, and who threatened to kill one of his junior hockey billet moms. Yeah. Great dude. You go.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This is a very very odd case to me. As TheRillest said, 14 is quite young to go ahead and staple something to an individual for the rest of his/her life. The NHL has allowed *killers of teammates* to continue to play in the league. Adults who made deadly choices. And yet … a child who did something horrendous cannot play, even tho a team (presumably) wants him to, eventually?

I look forward to a potential player with “simpler” but worse (read: not racial or disabled-related) convictions against them as a child not being able to play in the NHL. Eventually there will be a similar case and there is no chance the NHL acts similarly. And it will be stupid.

And a big, hearty LOL at Akim Aliu being at the forefront of this, and all, hockey related culture bashings. The guy who broke a girl’s face in a bar, and who threatened to kill one of his junior hockey billet moms. Yeah. Great dude. You go.
Thing is, he doesn’t appear to have shown any real remorse or positive change. Prior to last week, his only apology was a court-ordered one which the judge said seemed insincere and self-serving. Any actions he’s now taking appear to be motivated by the fact that he’s suffering the consequences of his actions and not because he feels bad about what he did.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Thing is, he doesn’t appear to have shown any real remorse or positive change. Prior to last week, his only apology was a court-ordered one which the judge said seemed insincere and self-serving. Any actions he’s now taking appear to be motivated by the fact that he’s suffering the consequences of his actions and not because he feels bad about what he did.

I would say that he has shown positive change in that he is no longer someone that bullies people today. That's certainly something that you can point to as a possible sign that he's not the same individual that he was when he was in elementary or middle school.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I would say that he has shown positive change in that he is no longer someone that bullies people today. That's certainly something that you can point to as a possible sign that he's not the same individual that he was when he was in elementary or middle school.
All we can do is speculate, obviously, but i wonder whether that change is motivated by a realization that it’s wrong to treat people that way or the fact that he was exposed and had his future jeopardized as a result.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Who really knows how the kid really feels through? Maybe his parents told him he couldn't make an apology because it could be an admission of guilt. A lot of the time bullies are a product of their upbringing, and abuse. I can't see any type of apology being interpreted as sincere once it has been court ordered.

If there is hard evidence of him joking about the incident or continued bullying, it's different, but is there proof of that?

In general, I think a 14 year old kid has a immature and undeveloped mind, and shouldn't wear a scarlett letter for something they did when they were so young.

I will say though, that I googled this guy today and he looks like a stereotypical bully from a movie or tv show to me.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Who really knows how the kid really feels through? Maybe his parents told him he couldn't make an apology because it could be an admission of guilt. A lot of the time bullies are a product of their upbringing, and abuse. I can't see any type of apology being interpreted as sincere once it has been court ordered.

If there is hard evidence of him joking about the incident or continued bullying, it's different, but is there proof of that?

In general, I think a 14 year old kid has a immature and undeveloped mind, and shouldn't wear a scarlett letter for something they did when they were so young.

I will say though, that I googled this guy today and he looks like a stereotypical bully from a movie or tv show to me.
Yea part of me wants to say holy-crap he was a young bully, we do have to give people a chance to learn and grow (i.e. TDA), but he's 20 now, and as has been pointed out didn't issue an apology until a week or so ago...on Twitter? Kid should have been groveling from the outset, getting psychiatric help, paying their medical bills, some sort of reparations, etc. And he didn't just bully a kid, he bullied a disabled girl where he knowingly took advantage of that...(EDIT: she was tested for Hep, HIV, and STDs as a result - no + confirmations mentioned)...like literally potentially ruined the girls life. I'm not saying his life should never recover from that because again, kids are often only as good as their upbringing, but it's going to require a LOT of self-sacrifice to build-up the required goodwill to come out of that.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
He was still harassing the kid and his family for years after the juvenile case; at least that's my understanding. Also has never actually apologized or shown any remorse, and regardless of the ages it's a continued stretch of borderline psychopathic behavior, that's a huge concern whether you're 12-14 or 25-28 or any age. I'm often all for second chances, and I'm not even against it in this case. But there are significant steps the kid needs to take to earn his second chance, none of which he has.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yea part of me wants to say holy-crap he was a young bully, we do have to give people a chance to learn and grow (i.e. TDA), but he's 20 now, and as has been pointed out didn't issue an apology until a week or so ago...on Twitter? Kid should have been groveling from the outset, getting psychiatric help, paying their medical bills, some sort of reparations, etc. And he didn't just bully a kid, he bullied a disabled girl where he knowingly took advantage of that...AND he literally gave her Hep, HIV, and STDs as a result...like literally potentially ruined the girls life. I'm not saying his life should never recover from that because again, kids are often only as good as their upbringing, but it's going to require a LOT of self-sacrifice to build-up the required goodwill to come out of that.

He gave her HIV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad