Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
eetu loustarainen spellcheck is having a little breakout this season. nic roy is also figuring some things out in vegas based on his preseason. weird to see some of these guys doing so well.

I have no problem with our former players and prospects doing so well elsewhere. What that means is that the Canes have become such a loaded team that legitimately good NHL players need to be traded in order to find playing time and success. The Canes benefitted far more from the three seasons that Trocheck gave us than what either of those guys would've given us in that same time period (likely waiver or expansion draft fodder).

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have no problem with our former players and prospects doing so well elsewhere. What that means is that the Canes have become such a loaded team that legitimately good NHL players need to be traded in order to find playing time and success. The Canes benefitted far more from the three seasons that Trocheck gave us than what either of those guys would've given us in that same time period (likely waiver or expansion draft fodder).
true, I wasn't really lamenting it as much as just remembering how ineffectual they were here despite some flashes. it's good to see at least a few of them make it. I didn't think much of eetu or gauthier, but loved nic roy. didn't care much for bean, either. it's interesting to see who thrives and who sinks. foegele and geekie both hitting walls was somewhat surprising.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
true, I wasn't really lamenting it as much as just remembering how ineffectual they were here despite some flashes. it's good to see at least a few of them make it. I didn't think much of eetu or gauthier, but loved nic roy. didn't care much for bean, either. it's interesting to see who thrives and who sinks. foegele and geekie both hitting walls was somewhat surprising.

For those two, I think it's a couple of bigger guys with very solid games, but not amazing skills or great skating so they needed time to develop their games. Luostarinen was only 21 and was in his first season in NA when we traded him. Roy, likewise, was only 21 coming off of a strong AHL season and very strong AHL playoffs. The AHL playoffs against Chicago was a prime reason VGN wanted Roy. Chicago was the VGN affiliate that year and I remember the Vegas brass talking about how Roy killed them that playoffs, was winning key face-offs, was physically dominant, etc...

We did a good job developing them.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Roy did not surprise me at all that he's been successful with Vegas. I made the comment early in watching him that he's definitely an NHL player but I didn't know if he would have the speed for our system.

Eetu was a bit of a wildcard but his trajectory career wise was incredible so not the biggest shock.

I'm more surprised that Foegs and Geekie didn't click honestly

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Eetu barely played, and he had a fourth line role where he outhustled his linemates and the opposition frequently causing a few turnovers directly while rushing the d into bad choices pretty often as well. I could see saying Geekie was ineffectual but Eetu had a tiny sample size and played well defensively when he was here.

He was the one that hurt the most for me, but Trocheck was worth it. Gauthier always looked too raw. Roy was a question of speed only.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
On one hand, I'm glad someone (bonus it's a team like the Rangers) gets to experience the 41 save shutout besides us, I don't want us hogging all the fun.

On the other hand, the Islanders are our next opponent:scared:
yeah but Sorokin is actually really good, we get shutout by random 3rd string scrubs like Karel Vejmelka despite putting up 40+ shots.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just wanted to say thank you to Brandon Hagel for preventing a 10:00 game (which became a 10:30 game because TNT) from going to OT.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
yeah but Sorokin is actually really good, we get shutout by random 3rd string scrubs like Karel Vejmelka despite putting up 40+ shots.
Remember when Troy Grosenick shut us out?

I was curious where he is today and, man, what a weird career he’s had. He played two nhl games in 2014-15 including the one against us and had a 1.53 gaa and .948 sv %.

He then didn’t get back into an nhl game until 2020-21 with the Kings. Played another two games that year with a 3.00 gaa and .933 sv %.

Then that’s it. No more nhl games. He keeps toiling in the ahl where he’s played for three different teams the last three seasons.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Remember when Troy Grosenick shut us out?

I was curious where he is today and, man, what a weird career he’s had. He played two nhl games in 2014-15 including the one against us and had a 1.53 gaa and .948 sv %.

He then didn’t get back into an nhl game until 2020-21 with the Kings. Played another two games that year with a 3.00 gaa and .933 sv %.

Then that’s it. No more nhl games. He keeps toiling in the ahl where he’s played for three different teams the last three seasons.

After that game I mostly tuned out, they had a winless October and I didn't see any reason to keep watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad