GDT: Around the League | '22-'23 II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Any idea where you will be working. Will you be driving or using transit?

If you want a quiet family oriented environment you may want to look at St. Albert. Lots of trails and some nice neighborhoods that may well be cheaper than Edmonton proper. But you are essentially attached to the city.

ST Albert is a nice place bu no longer really the community it used to be. Its much larger now and basically Edmonton and ST Albert are basically conjoined now with only Henday, Ray Gibbons Freeway separating. Add the noise from ST Albert freeway as well as the massive gridlock there and it isn't ideal. Not for 9-5 for sure. Too many people got the idea of lets move to St Albert. it would be very different now than you remember it. Its a decent place except so many people from there seem to work and play and go to Edmonton all the time. ST Albert is weird in that way. It has every shopping and amenity you need but people tend to go to Edmonton for stuff anyway.

The Trouble with St. Albert is its probably the worst of the outlying towns in commute time. Gridlock is an every day event of living there. This is an older article but its only gotten worse.

That said if one can work atypical hours or closer by its a nice place to be. Just don't expect easy access to say places like DT Edmonton, WEM, Southside, etc.

One last thing is that ST Albert is not cheap. Both Sherwood Park and St Albert are expensive for outlying bedroom communities. It used to be if you moved to outlying towns you might see some savings not know, and your gas expenses will hit hard.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I will be transiting mostly and working at any service industry job I find once I get settled in so I have a lot of flexibility on where to live since there are always going to be jobs in retail and sales. I might start closer to Edmonton proper and rent for a year and then try and get a mortgage on a small house in a nice neighborhood like st.albert but I'm thinking it might be too much of a commute by bus if I find a job I like closer to the middle of Edmonton. The city looks circular and very sensible on Google maps but I think i am underestimating how big it is to get from the outer band to the center so I might try mill woods or nearby like drivesaitl suggested.
Edmonton is physically huge. If you are going to be using transit, being close to the LRT has its advantages, but there have been safety issues of late.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I will be transiting mostly and working at any service industry job I find once I get settled in so I have a lot of flexibility on where to live since there are always going to be jobs in retail and sales. I might start closer to Edmonton proper and rent for a year and then try and get a mortgage on a small house in a nice neighborhood like st.albert but I'm thinking it might be too much of a commute by bus if I find a job I like closer to the middle of Edmonton. The city looks circular and very sensible on Google maps but I think i am underestimating how big it is to get from the outer band to the center so I might try mill woods or nearby like drivesaitl suggested.
This is the now near completed that will be opening probably by the time you would be here. Coming from Vancouver it will be probably nice to have an LRT line serving Millwoods to Avonmore, Whyte Ave. Bonnie Doon, River valley, Quarters, Downtown. Its been a long time coming but nearly open now. In the future the line will be extended to connect to the West End as far as Lewis Farms. But that could take a longtime.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Edmonton is physically huge. If you are going to be using transit, being close to the LRT has its advantages, but there have been safety issues of late.
While I have documented these, and there has been problems, they certainly wouldnt be worse then what would be experienced in say Vancouver. Really this seems to be in all Cities now, unfortunately. But also in Edmonton there had been a lot of pushback and insistence to make the lines safer and its integral for ridership that they do so. In Millwoods particularly, from residents there has been a lot of feedback to the city to make sure that this line does not end up having some problems of say the Capital line or Metro line.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
One last thing is that ST Albert is not cheap. Both Sherwood Park and St Albert are expensive for outlying bedroom communities. It used to be if you moved to outlying towns you might see some savings not know, and your gas expenses will hit hard.
as a tax-paying citizen..I know

property taxes here are out of control and I've lived here basically my entire life

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
ST Albert is a nice place bu no longer really the community it used to be. Its much larger now and basically Edmonton and ST Albert are basically conjoined now with only Henday, Ray Gibbons Freeway separating. Add the noise from ST Albert freeway as well as the massive gridlock there and it isn't ideal. Not for 9-5 for sure. Too many people got the idea of lets move to St Albert. it would be very different now than you remember it. Its a decent place except so many people from there seem to work and play and go to Edmonton all the time. ST Albert is weird in that way. It has every shopping and amenity you need but people tend to go to Edmonton for stuff anyway.

The Trouble with St. Albert is its probably the worst of the outlying towns in commute time. Gridlock is an every day event of living there. This is an older article but its only gotten worse.

That said if one can work atypical hours or closer by its a nice place to be. Just don't expect easy access to say places like DT Edmonton, WEM, Southside, etc.

There are still some very nice quiet areas in St Albert. My wife an I have given it serious consideration if we move back and whenever we are in Edmonton we try to spend a fair bit of time looking around.

There are some nice areas on the West end including Oakmont and the area just east of the Riverlot 56 Natural Area.

We also liked the area around Lacombe Lake. It has trail access to the river valley and the area around Lions Park. The Lion's park location is actually an area that has some nice rental properties as well but I must say I am not sure what rents are these days.

As for gridlock, if you have to use the St. Albert Trail then absolutely. But from the west end you can get on the Hendey off of Campbell Road or in the east there is Ray Gibbons Drive.

That said if someone works in town and they are using transit, I'd rule out St. Albert.

Personally, I am not a fan of Sherwood Park. I grew up in NE Edmonton and I have a house in the Highlands area that we use when we are in town. SP is close so we do go since my mother in law likes some of the stores they have there like the large Costco. If you are in the SW of the city access is quick if you are traveling against traffic. But at rush hour traffic from SP can be pretty brutal.

In Edmonton, we still like the Highlands area despite the rep of NE Edmonton. The area south of say 114AVE between 62nd and 68th street or south of 112Ave between the freeway and up to about 53rd street is very nice. 111Ave is a hidden gem. Not much in the way of decent apartment rentals in the area though.

Otherwise I like the Twin Brookes area on the south side. But of course this is all personal choice as well as the area close to the Valley Zoo. Not a big fan of the newer subdivisions in the SE.

as a tax-paying citizen..I know

property taxes here are out of control and I've lived here basically my entire life
House prices are certainly cheaper but property taxes are out of control. This is especially true if someone is coming from BC. Victoria for example has very low taxes, but you need to afford the house in the first place.

"Damn. I just realized this was not the OT thread". Sorry about that!!!

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
While I have documented these, and there has been problems, they certainly wouldnt be worse then what would be experienced in say Vancouver. Really this seems to be in all Cities now, unfortunately. But also in Edmonton there had been a lot of pushback and insistence to make the lines safer and its integral for ridership that they do so. In Millwoods particularly, from residents there has been a lot of feedback to the city to make sure that this line does not end up having some problems of say the Capital line or Metro line.
It is really important for the city that they get this right. The LRT in Edmonton is actually very good as a way to get around quickly if it is safe to do so.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I couldn't find the right thread for this so I'm hoping I can put this here with higher traffic for advice. I'm moving to your fair city in a few months and I did some research on which part of Edmonton is best for a young working single person who likes to stay home a lot. A lot of the online guides tries to push me toward the hip and noisy expensive areas but I'm hoping for a quiet not as expensive part of Edmonton with lots of rentals opportunities but not so cheap because it's not a safe or clean. Maybe $1200/month in rent or so. I found this neighborhood map on the edm public library site. I'm hoping someone can point me toward the right area. Thanks.

Map_Branch_Locations_Municipal_Blog_850x1000_Oct2017_v5.png

I personally bought a Townhouse in Millwoods, and I'm actually very happy where I live. I live in Bisset and that part of Millwoods is probably the better side of it. I found the further NorthWest you go in Millwoods, they shadier and worse it get's. North is cheaper in rent, but the north side of Edmonton has way less commodities as the South does, In the end, I'd stick with the area you feel most comfortable with that you might know lives close to there, or has the most commodities close by.

Reactions: Tob and Drivesaitl

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
CGY has to win tonight to keep pace with Minny. I don't think they lose tonight and Vegas looks like sh** thus far

over/under 45+ shots for Cowtown tonight? lol
if Vegas loses, Oilers are 1 point from tops in the Conference which is crazy
Oilers back in 2nd
Imagine us with some god damn help on D and a depth forward

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Nice, LA blows a 2-0 lead. Only gets a loser point. Vegas down to COWgary in the first, but MIN also won. Sucks for CGY
I would be happy with anything except a 3-point game tonight in the CGY/VGK game. Think I'd rather see the Flames lose, but gaining 2 points on Vegas would also be nice.

Reactions: Oilhawks

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Are we cheering for the Flames tonight?

Feels wrong... but you just gotta do it I guess.

Like a Flames fan on a date with their 1st cousin/half-sister.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I'm renting for a year to know Edmonton better then I'm gonna try and get a down payment on something in a cheaper neighborhood in the expanding areas so I can have a little back yard. Areas near the outskirt like St.albert where it's chill and a drive away from the busy part of town is what I'd like to buy into but I think I'll try to rent for a year near somewhere like Jasper park which seems like a real busy area. Maybe a decent distance south of Strathcona. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. It's helping lower my moving anxiety.
You can actually find pretty good deals in those areas if you don't mind older homes (mostly built in the 40s to the 60s.) A lot of them are fully renovated and rather lovely on the inside too. My wife and I are looking to buy our first home in September. We finally almost have enough for a down payment after renting since we got together! We'd love to get a house in St. Albert but it's more expensive so we probably won't. Best of luck!

Reactions: Tob and Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ball has been waiting for that Huberdeau goal call all season lol.

A mixture of elation, relief and surprise.

Reactions: Sanchez

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I blame some of you for hexing Vegas...pffft. ABC any night. Even if it means Vegas staying in first.

jebus getting drubbed by Calgary on home ice. ffs you useless Knights.
Yeah I’m more on the “I really don’t want Calgary to be in the playoffs” train. Goooo Vegas!!!

How is LA where they are with with just a +1 goal differential? Crazy

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad