GDT: Around the League | '22-'23 II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
Let these bums get some hope. They are so screwed next year cap wise. They need the cap to go up just to keep this same shitty roster

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
classic Flames...need to throw 50+ shots at a bad team to win while Huberdeau does ziltch, goaltending still sucks and they're still on the outside looking in
hopefully Treliving continues his dumb ways and "goes for it" at the TDL

I still hate the Stars after all these years. Happy to see them blow a 3 goal lead and lose in regulation against the Hawks.
we'd be playing the Stars in Round 1 if the playoffs stated today
just like old times

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I couldn't find the right thread for this so I'm hoping I can put this here with higher traffic for advice. I'm moving to your fair city in a few months and I did some research on which part of Edmonton is best for a young working single person who likes to stay home a lot. A lot of the online guides tries to push me toward the hip and noisy expensive areas but I'm hoping for a quiet not as expensive part of Edmonton with lots of rentals opportunities but not so cheap because it's not a safe or clean. Maybe $1200/month in rent or so. I found this neighborhood map on the edm public library site. I'm hoping someone can point me toward the right area. Thanks.

Map_Branch_Locations_Municipal_Blog_850x1000_Oct2017_v5.png

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I couldn't find the right thread for this so I'm hoping I can put this here with higher traffic for advice. I'm moving to your fair city in a few months and I did some research on which part of Edmonton is best for a young working single person who likes to stay home a lot. A lot of the online guides tries to push me toward the hip and noisy expensive areas but I'm hoping for a quiet not as expensive part of Edmonton with lots of rentals opportunities but not so cheap because it's not a safe or clean. Maybe $1200/month in rent or so. I found this neighborhood map on the edm public library site. I'm hoping someone can point me toward the right area. Thanks.

Map_Branch_Locations_Municipal_Blog_850x1000_Oct2017_v5.png

What brings you to town? Work in a particular location?

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I am escaping the real estate prices of BC :laugh: $1400 for a basement suite is killing me
well, I'd avoid Abbotsfield/East side all together (sorry all you east siders) mainly due to crime/old areas
avoid Downtown and Old Strathcona (Whyte Ave near U of A) if you want to live a quiet life

maybe check out the West side near the Hamptons, a buddy lives there and it's quiet
or south side, south of the Henday (our ring road freeway) in places like Rutherford or Summerside...newer areas that are far away from the action

Reactions: Oilhawks and Tob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
well, I'd avoid Abbotsfield/East side all together (sorry all you east siders) mainly due to crime/old areas
avoid Downtown and Old Strathcona (Whyte Ave near U of A) if you want to live a quiet life

maybe check out the West side near the Hamptons, a buddy lives there and it's quiet
or south side, south of the Henday (our ring road freeway) in places like Rutherford or Summerside...newer areas that are far away from the action

Thanks for the reply. I've heard snippets about the east side and for some reason Sherwood park. I'm not sure what I heard exactly but I had the impression to steer in another direction.

I looked at Hampton Summerside and Rutherford on Google maps and they all seem like nice quiet neighborhoods but maybe a little far from lots of retail job locations. Are places like Calder woodcroft and whitemud crossing (I'm using the Edmonton public library map for general whereabout) relatively inexpensive for rent? I am guessing Strathcona and where the 8 and the 6 are on the map are the expensive areas and everything gets cheaper the further out you go into the border of Edmonton.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Thanks for the reply. I've heard snippets about the east side and for some reason Sherwood park. I'm not sure what I heard exactly but I had the impression to steer in another direction.
Sherwood Park is a nice little suburb, just a bit of a drive if you're looking to work in the city...I live in St. Albert in its a bit of a trip for work for me in the morning

I looked at Hampton Summerside and Rutherford on Google maps and they all seem like nice quiet neighborhoods but maybe a little far from lots of retail job locations. Are places like Calder woodcroft and whitemud crossing (I'm using the Edmonton public library map for general whereabout) relatively inexpensive for rent? I am guessing Strathcona and where the 8 and the 6 are on the map are the expensive areas and everything gets cheaper the further out you go into the border of Edmonton.

Edmonton is really expanding south so the more south you go, the newer the area but I imagine the more expensive it gets and further away from major retail

Calder and Woodcroft are older areas which I imagine can have cheaper rent but unfortunately I haven't the first clue on what the rental market is like these days
Whitemud crossing on that map is close to transit but again, no clue about rental prices there
maybe someone else knows more haha

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Sherwood Park is a nice little suburb, just a bit of a drive if you're looking to work in the city...I live in St. Albert in its a bit of a trip for work for me in the morning

Edmonton is really expanding south so the more south you go, the newer the area but I imagine the more expensive it gets and further away from major retail

Calder and Woodcroft are older areas which I imagine can have cheaper rent but unfortunately I haven't the first clue on what the rental market is like these days
Whitemud crossing on that map is close to transit but again, no clue about rental prices there
maybe someone else knows more haha

I'm renting for a year to know Edmonton better then I'm gonna try and get a down payment on something in a cheaper neighborhood in the expanding areas so I can have a little back yard. Areas near the outskirt like St.albert where it's chill and a drive away from the busy part of town is what I'd like to buy into but I think I'll try to rent for a year near somewhere like Jasper park which seems like a real busy area. Maybe a decent distance south of Strathcona. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. It's helping lower my moving anxiety.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
classic Flames...need to throw 50+ shots at a bad team to win while Huberdeau does ziltch, goaltending still sucks and they're still on the outside looking in
hopefully Treliving continues his dumb ways and "goes for it" at the TDL

we'd be playing the Stars in Round 1 if the playoffs stated today
just like old times
We need Todd Marchant if that’s the case!!!

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Millwoods or Meadows would be your bet. DO NOT go anywhere near Summerside, Ellerslie, Riverbend as the gridlock traffic will make you wish you were never there. Millwoods LRT line to Bonnie Doon, Downtown, other areas is just being completed. Millwoods and Meadows have very good amenities, its safe area and far less busy and lower priced. Meadows area is pretty much brand new having all been built out in last 20yrs and with some builds continuing. Lots of affordable rentals. Sherwood park is nice but its just going to put you further out and with it being harder to rely on transit if thats an issue.

I'm not just saying this either. I live in Milloods, Eastern part and LOVE it. Close to Henday, close to Whitemud, never traffic jams here and so many stores and not crowded, not noisy, not busy. All the other areas I mentioned are busy.

Reactions: Tob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm renting for a year to know Edmonton better then I'm gonna try and get a down payment on something in a cheaper neighborhood in the expanding areas so I can have a little back yard. Areas near the outskirt like St.albert where it's chill and a drive away from the busy part of town is what I'd like to buy into but I think I'll try to rent for a year near somewhere like Jasper park which seems like a real busy area. Maybe a decent distance south of Strathcona. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. It's helping lower my moving anxiety.
If you mean Jasper Place I would honestly avoid it. Lots of social problems, crime in the area and its a problematic location. It is cheap, but I wouldn't live there any more.

I don't think you would go wrong with Millwoods (just avoid Milbourne area) or Meadows. In Meadows you would have lots of avialability to look at rentals or buying down the road and so you would be in an area where a ton of each is available and for cheaper prices than you would find in say Central Park or Riverbend or Windermere.

Of note Edmonton can be a rough rentals market in that some people that live in rentals really don't look after them well. So that there can be places where the prior tenants were slobs, or damage or just bad deteriorated buildings in general. In Meadows particularly thats where you would be getting a lot of the new apartment builds that would be in still pretty pristine condition. Just my advice you want to avoid older rentals in Edmonton area because most places have really been abused and/or have problematic tenants. Those most being in central or close to central areas.

Last edited:

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Millwoods or Meadows would be your bet. DO NOT go anywhere near Summerside, Ellerslie, Riverbend as the gridlock traffic will make you wish you were never there. Millwoods LRT line to Bonnie Doon, Downtown, other areas is just being completed. Millwoods and Meadows have very good amenities, its safe area and far less busy and lower priced. Meadows area is pretty much brand new having all been built out in last 20yrs and with some builds continuing. Lots of affordable rentals. Sherwood park is nice but its just going to put you further out and with it being harder to rely on transit if thats an issue.

I'm not just saying this either. I live in Milloods, Eastern part and LOVE it. Close to Henday, close to Whitemud, never traffic jams here and so many stores and not crowded, not noisy, not busy. All the other areas I mentioned are busy.
Thanks for the insight. If I see a good place for rent in mill woods I'll place my bet there. It's just close enough to the middle and doesn't look crowded. Hopefully rentals.ca gives me some openings in that area.

If you mean Jasper Place I would honestly avoid it. Lots of social problems, crime in the area and its a problematic location. It is cheap, but I wouldn't live there any more.

I don't think you would go wrong with Millwoods (just avoid Milbourne area) or Meadows. In Meadows you would have lots of avialability to look at rentals or buying down the road and so you would be in an area where a ton of each is available and for cheaper prices than you would find in say Central Park or Riverbend or Windermere.

It was drawing me to it cus I saw a science world there and figured it might have lots of nearby businesses and retail jobs but on second thought, if the science world area in Edmonton is like the science world in Vancouver, it's messy. I suppose for service industry jobs, there are plenty everywhere and I am best off avoiding the busy parts of town.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Thanks for the insight. If I see a good place for rent in mill woods I'll place my bet there. It's just close enough to the middle and doesn't look crowded. Hopefully rentals.ca gives me some openings in that area.

It was drawing me to it cus I saw a science world there and figured it might have lots of nearby businesses and retail jobs but on second thought, if the science world area in Edmonton is like the science world in Vancouver, it's messy. I suppose for service industry jobs, there are plenty everywhere and I am best off avoiding the busy parts of town.
I think Telus World of Science is hit or miss but thats just me. Its not as good as most cities would have and its really just geared to kids, families. The area around it is older, older homes, older rentals. But yeah definitely avoid Jasper Place with streets of boarded up buildings, sketchy neighborhood, sketchy businesses. Its an area that has gone way down. I feel sorry for people that own property there.

I didn't mention that Millwoods and Meadows both have among the best Recreation Centers in the city and also have parks like Jackie Parker that are convenient and close by. Bike and multiuse people trails all over, free tennis courts around if thats your thing. Lived here in Millwoods for 34yrs and have never been a victim of crime here. But again don't go to Millbourne area, thats the only area in Millwoods that is kind of turned for the worse. Vast majority of Millwoods area has retained value, pride of ownership and safe and good areas. Tons of shopping options. Low cost shopping options as well. This area of the City like I say also gives really immediate access to Henday ring road which takes you anywhere you want to go. All outlying quadrants of city and also convenient for out of town trips being closer to the edge of town. Great libraries in Meadows and Millwoods as well. The best in the City imo.

One caution that living in Millwoods won't feel like the middle of Edmonton at all. It will feel very much a suburb, but a very well contained suburb and well designed. Millwoods and Meadows were designed NOT to be quadrant street/Avenue oriented but to be quiet areas with series of little circle roads providing a sense of local pocket community. Its an interesting concept. I think its worked. Roadways and pathways connect the communities together but each somewhat unique.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I think Telus World of Science is hit or miss but thats just me. Its not as good as most cities would have and its really just geared to kids, families. The area around it is older, older homes, older rentals. But yeah definitely avoid Jasper Place with streets of boarded up buildings, sketchy neighborhood, sketchy businesses. Its an area that has gone way down. I feel sorry for people that own property there.

I didn't mention that Millwoods and Meadows both have among the best Recreation Centers in the city and also have parks like Jackie Parker that are convenient and close by. Bike and multiuse people trails all over, free tennis courts around if thats your thing. Lived here in Millwoods for 34yrs and have never been a victim of crime here. But again don't go to Millbourne area, thats the only area in Millwoods that is kind of turned for the worse. Vast majority of Millwoods area has retained value, pride of ownership and safe and good areas. Tons of shopping options. Low cost shopping options as well. This area of the City like I say also gives really immediate access to Henday ring road which takes you anywhere you want to go. All outlying quadrants of city and also convenient for out of town trips being closer to the edge of town. Great libraries in Meadows and Millwoods as well. The best in the City imo.

One caution that living in Millwoods won't feel like the middle of Edmonton at all. It will feel very much a suburb, but a very well contained suburb and well designed. Millwoods and Meadows were designed NOT to be quadrant street/Avenue oriented but to be quiet areas with series of little circle roads providing a sense of local pocket community. Its an interesting concept. I think its worked. Roadways and pathways connect the communities together but each somewhat unique.
That sounds amazing. Almost too good to be true. I'd kill to have neighborhoods with a sense of community again like 15ish years ago in my old neighborhood. It's a big part of my reason to move to Edmonton. Everything you mentioned is what I'm looking for. Hopefully by summer time I'll be settled in the area. 😄

Thanks for your time sharing your insight. It's a big help.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That sounds amazing. Almost too good to be true. I'd kill to have neighborhoods with a sense of community again like 15ish years ago in my old neighborhood. It's a big part of my reason to move to Edmonton. Everything you mentioned is what I'm looking for. Hopefully by summer time I'll be settled in the area. 😄

Thanks for your time sharing your insight. It's a big help.
No problem. People generally in Alberta are kind of community oriented. Alberta is kind of the Texas of Canada that way and people prefer to know each other, say hi. Its still one of those places you walk down the street and most people will say hi.

Edmonton also has tons of festivals year round that foster sense of community and engagement. I love that too.

Even this board is like a community. Many here that have been here for a longwhile since the board started. Drop me a line or ask a question whenever you like. Gotta hand it to you as well that using an established thread instead of making an OT thread is a nice touch. It respects the place. Its funny that you also sussed out the Around the league thread here is very looked at, you're right!

ps Millwoods also has its own well attended Canada Day celebration. Maybe you might be here by then.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Tob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Any idea where you will be working. Will you be driving or using transit?

If you want a quiet family oriented environment you may want to look at St. Albert. Lots of trails and some nice neighborhoods that may well be cheaper than Edmonton proper. But you are essentially attached to the city.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
No problem. People generally in Alberta are kind of community oriented. Alberta is kind of the Texas of Canada that way and people prefer to know each other, say hi. Its still one of those places you walk down the street and most people will say hi.

Edmonton also has tons of festivals year round that foster sense of community and engagement. I love that too.

Even this board is like a community. Many here that have been here for a longwhile since the board started. Drop me a line or ask a question whenever you like. Gotta hand it to you as well that using an established thread instead of making an OT thread is a nice touch. It respects the place. Its funny that you also sussed out the Around the league thread here is very looked at, you're right!

ps Millwoods also has its own well attended Canada Day celebration. Maybe you might be here by then.

So many major cities are overrated for its varieties of this and that and accessibility to top this and that but it's mostly fluff that isn't practical and comes with high cost of living and a lack of community safety and friendliness. For me it's worth the risk to start from scratch in Edmonton even if it's just very ordinary living and lifestyle. I'll definitely DM you if I need some pointers on the city in the future 👍 thanks bud.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Any idea where you will be working. Will you be driving or using transit?

If you want a quiet family oriented environment you may want to look at St. Albert. Lots of trails and some nice neighborhoods that may well be cheaper than Edmonton proper. But you are essentially attached to the city.

I will be transiting mostly and working at any service industry job I find once I get settled in so I have a lot of flexibility on where to live since there are always going to be jobs in retail and sales. I might start closer to Edmonton proper and rent for a year and then try and get a mortgage on a small house in a nice neighborhood like st.albert but I'm thinking it might be too much of a commute by bus if I find a job I like closer to the middle of Edmonton. The city looks circular and very sensible on Google maps but I think i am underestimating how big it is to get from the outer band to the center so I might try mill woods or nearby like drivesaitl suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad