Around the League - 2024-2025

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It's hard to imagine that Ottawa could screw up yet another goalie contract, but here we are. I said at the start of the season that Ottawa would sign him to a big contract and that he would then probably crap the bed through injury and mediocre play. All boxes checked so far.
Never played 50+ in a season. Other side of 30. Was a bold contract. I agree with what Boston did though, got way more faith in Swayman to be a top 5 starter.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yawn. Didn't they do the same thing last year and the year before that? They are going to fizzle out and lose in the first or second round again.
I thought this was the around the league thread, go trash the Leafs somewhere else.

All 3 teams in action tonight, I didn't even know that ever happened. Cool!

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
It's hard to imagine that Ottawa could screw up yet another goalie contract, but here we are. I said at the start of the season that Ottawa would sign him to a big contract and that he would then probably crap the bed through injury and mediocre play. All boxes checked so far.

You hate to see it. I'm expecting big things from Playoff Warrior this season.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Never played 50+ in a season. Other side of 30. Was a bold contract. I agree with what Boston did though, got way more faith in Swayman to be a top 5 starter.
The one smart thing Ottawa did is limit the deal to a 4 year term.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

Ottawa has no and has never had any business giving out some of the deals they have. You're obviously not telling Tkachuk, Sanderson and Stutzle to find their money elsewhere but some of their other deals are bad.

First off, they don't have a number one center. They're the only team in the division that doesn't have one. Stutzle isn't defensively responsible enough to run C full time and if Norris misses 25 games it's a healthy year for him.

Chabot at 8, he's not as good as Mo and he's injury prone.

Zub gets 4.6 but he's worth like 2.5. Him and Jensen at 4 are textbook RH bonus cuts and both have term. Jensen is okay.

Norris looks better this year, but he's played 130 games in the last 4 seasons and makes 8. He got that deal after getting 35 goals (66 gp), good for 25th in the league that year.

He's lived up to his 6.5 but why exactly do they need Giroux? Why did he go there, to win? Ha! To get paid more like it.

Ullmark has never played 50 games and gets the Swayman. They should at the very least have let some of the year play out before paying him.

The Leafs gave out rich money but at least they aren't currently 7 years into a playoff drought. This is why I respect Montréal build more and think they will be better quicker, if, they don't shoot their loads and hand out big money to guys like Norris and Chabot who really aren't all that.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I'd call them a cursed franchise but it's mostly all self inflicted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad