Around the League - 2023 Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I respectfully disagree on this. Injury (or death) is usually a factor when deciding what kind of a punishment our legal system gives out. Why should the same not apply for hockey (or other sports for that matter)?
Injury clearly wasn't a factor for Eberle's hit on Cogliano.

I have always maintained the punishment should be for the penalty, not the result.

Reactions: Murzu

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I respectfully disagree on this. Injury (or death) is usually a factor when deciding what kind of a punishment our legal system gives out. Why should the same not apply for hockey (or other sports for that matter)?

There are punishments for attempting a crime that never happend though. Attempted murder, attempted robbery, attempted insurrection, etc.

The penalty can be less if there was no injury/crime, but if you want to deter future injuries/crimes you should punish the act, not just the result.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I actually strongly agree with DGB.

Make the penalty call based on the infraction and not the result. Use the result when handing out supplemental discipline. That's the way the system should have been set up to begin with.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If anyone missed Quincey, Cumiskey, Porter, Anderson in net, Sacco behind the bench, tune into NHL network. They’re showing some random regular season game Avs vs Ducks. Avs are getting killed too

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Is someone whipping you while you watch this?
a-clockwork-orange-eyes.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think Arizona is a good team, but they have piled together some depth along with some intriguing young talent. It'll be really interesting to see if it is enough to move from the basement to the 10-12 range in the West.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't think Arizona is a good team, but they have piled together some depth along with some intriguing young talent. It'll be really interesting to see if it is enough to move from the basement to the 10-12 range in the West.
The Yotes have a few forwards I would absolutely commit questionable acts for, in order to obtain. Hayton and Crouse being the top two.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Yotes have a few forwards I would absolutely commit questionable acts for, in order to obtain. Hayton and Crouse being the top two.
They have a rather intriguing mix to me... Keller and Cooley, if they click together have some real major upside as first line partners. Hayton might be turning the corner, and if Cooly clicks at center, well he 'only' has to be a 2C and that isn't an unrealistic step. Crouse is clearly an awesome piece. Then you have young guys like Macceli (I'm a huge fan of), Guenther and Geekie all have upside. Then the weird mix of capable, though not great other pieces like Zucker, Kerfoot, Bjugstad, Boyd, and Schmaltz.

I even think the defense is interesting. Moser looks like a very solid, long-term #2. Durzi might take a step in an expanded role. Valimaki settled in nicely after 20 games. Adding in Dumba to that group might mean they have an okay group of 4 with some guys who could carve in still.

I don't think they are good, but they do look to be trending up. I think there is a decent chance they are a .500 team, maybe pushing 85-88 points.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
They have a rather intriguing mix to me... Keller and Cooley, if they click together have some real major upside as first line partners. Hayton might be turning the corner, and if Cooly clicks at center, well he 'only' has to be a 2C and that isn't an unrealistic step. Crouse is clearly an awesome piece. Then you have young guys like Macceli (I'm a huge fan of), Guenther and Geekie all have upside. Then the weird mix of capable, though not great other pieces like Zucker, Kerfoot, Bjugstad, Boyd, and Schmaltz.

I even think the defense is interesting. Moser looks like a very solid, long-term #2. Durzi might take a step in an expanded role. Valimaki settled in nicely after 20 games. Adding in Dumba to that group might mean they have an okay group of 4 with some guys who could carve in still.

I don't think they are good, but they do look to be trending up. I think there is a decent chance they are a .500 team, maybe pushing 85-88 points.
Would be nice if they truly valued say Girard. I've been trying to jedi-mind trick a deal into existence for about 9 months now.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Would be nice if they truly valued say Girard. I've been trying to jedi-mind trick a deal into existence for about 9 months now.
Yeah... but sadly even with Hepple there, it doesn't seem like Army 2.0 has much time for small defensemen. He has brought back Stetcher, but outside him, they draft big boys and mostly acquire 6'+ guys.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah... but sadly even with Hepple there, it doesn't seem like Army 2.0 has much time for small defensemen. He has brought back Stetcher, but outside him, they draft big boys and mostly acquire 6'+ guys.
Not that they are anywhere near the playoffs yet but I heard their coach a couple of months ago in a radio interview talking about how it's important to have a big defense for a playoff run.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Well, I suppose come trade-deadline if CMac knows he can't re-sign Toews, he could look at a move involving him that could potentially fix the 2C longer term. It would suck for Toews to be the loser of musical chairs in this dance of LD, but somebody's eventually going to get yeeted in order to keep Rants and some semblance of depth.

Another team that may have a lot of centers on their hands is Columbus. Especially if Laine is serious about wanting to be a C. He saw what Tage Thompson was doing and made the switch a couple of games before he got injured at the end of the season. If Babcock keeps him as a C, they've got like 6 dudes that can play C (Roslovic, Jenner, Kuraly, Texier, Fantilli, Johnson, Foudy and potentially Laine). Just not sure if any of them would be what we want and if they are, would they be available. They seem to be short on quality LD (Severson, Blankenburg, and Berni) as well so if we wanted one of their C's maybe a fit could be made.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not that they are anywhere near the playoffs yet but I heard their coach a couple of months ago in a radio interview talking about how it's important to have a big defense for a playoff run.
Tourigny is certainly a size queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad