Around the League - 2023 Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyduke

Oct 31, 2019
I was bored and missing hockey, and started wondering if Joe Sakic had ever scored on Patrick Roy. I assumed he must have given how many years they both played in Quebec, but had never seen a highlight of it. Anyway, in the first video I clicked on YouTube, he scores on Roy.

Overall, it's a pretty fun trip down memory lane with that Nordiques roster.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I was bored and missing hockey, and started wondering if Joe Sakic had ever scored on Patrick Roy. I assumed he must have given how many years they both played in Quebec, but had never seen a highlight of it. Anyway, in the first video I clicked on YouTube, he scores on Roy.

Goalies really were useless back in the day.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth

Funny seeing Sakic with the slapshot. I really don't remember him scoring a ton of those

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, got me wondering— were Nords / Habs games broadcast exclusively in French?
No, all the Habs games were/are broadcasted in both languages. That said, the French commentators covering the Habs and those covering the Nords weren't the same people (and hated each other).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Zout alors!

After the Canes did the Whalers throwbacks I think the Avalanche should do the same. Wear Nords gear in Montreal and the have one of the Arizona road games in QC.

Reactions: Heyduke

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Saw a random highlight of Peter Bondra today and remembered how good this guy was. Seems to fly under the radar a lot.

I also remember the insanity of Ottawa in 2003-2004 going with a 5 forward PP unit featuring Alfredsson, Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, and Bondra with Alfredsson and Bondra on the points.

Don Cherry was losing his mind lol. Guess they were ahead of the curve on that one since nobody dared even play 4 forwards.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Saw a random highlight of Peter Bondra today and remembered how good this guy was. Seems to fly under the radar a lot.

I also remember the insanity of Ottawa in 2003-2004 going with a 5 forward PP unit featuring Alfredsson, Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, and Bondra with Alfredsson and Bondra on the points.

Don Cherry was losing his mind lol. Guess they were ahead of the curve on that one since nobody dared even play 4 forwards.
I received a base level of appreciation for certain 90s guys through my upbringing, and Bondra was among those players. I think they were whoever my dad was conscious of.

And now I use him in Puckdoku a lot.

Reactions: dahrougem2

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Projecting as a shitty draft at the top isn't it?
There isn't a Bedard, but Eiserman and Celebrini are legit #1 level picks. I'd take Celebrini over Carlsson and Fantilli in a heartbeat.

IMO 2023 gets a bit overhyped. Some good centers at the top, but got thin quickly. Very, very weak on defense with really only 2 guys being solid top pairing projections and then another 5-8 being middle pairing sorts. Extremely strong on the wing though, maybe the best wing draft in long time.

2024 is a bit stronger down the middle. A good chunk weaker on the wing, but still solid through 15ish wingers (if you project Eiserman at wing, maybe only 3 high end guys). Defense is a completely different league. Much better defensive group... and many of the top guys are not just 5'10" sorts.. they are a legit 6'2" to 6'4" sort of guys with offense along with some smaller guys too. Probably the deepest defensive draft since 08.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
There isn't a Bedard, but Eiserman and Celebrini are legit #1 level picks. I'd take Celebrini over Carlsson and Fantilli in a heartbeat.

IMO 2023 gets a bit overhyped. Some good centers at the top, but got thin quickly. Very, very weak on defense with really only 2 guys being solid top pairing projections and then another 5-8 being middle pairing sorts. Extremely strong on the wing though, maybe the best wing draft in long time.

2024 is a bit stronger down the middle. A good chunk weaker on the wing, but still solid through 15ish wingers (if you project Eiserman at wing, maybe only 3 high end guys). Defense is a completely different league. Much better defensive group... and many of the top guys are not just 5'10" sorts.. they are a legit 6'2" to 6'4" sort of guys with offense along with some smaller guys too. Probably the deepest defensive draft since 08.
Am I to believe EliteProspects in that Kiviharju and Helenius both currently project in the 5-10 range while Hemming is a late first?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Am I to believe EliteProspects in that Kiviharju and Helenius both currently project in the 5-10 range while Hemming is a late first?
I don't think Kiviharju will be a top 10 guy. He's a low to mid 20s guy to me right now... just enough flaws at his size that you can talk yourself into other defensemen ahead of him. With the depth he may slip out of the first. Helenius is probably fringe top 10 for me.

I'm a big time Hemming fanboy. There are not many guys who have his size and skill combo... when he's on he looks every bit a top 5 pick and a guy with an ultra high ceiling. When he's off he looks like Laine after a Fortnite binge. There are rumblings of some significant off the ice issues, so those will have to be in check. As of now there is probably too much risk to take him high... but the talent is there to be the top Finn drafted IMO. If he produces and gets along with the coaching staff and front office, he'll rise pretty significantly.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't think Kiviharju will be a top 10 guy. He's a low to mid 20s guy to me right now... just enough flaws at his size that you can talk yourself into other defensemen ahead of him. With the depth he may slip out of the first. Helenius is probably fringe top 10 for me.

I'm a big time Hemming fanboy. There are not many guys who have his size and skill combo... when he's on he looks every bit a top 5 pick and a guy with an ultra high ceiling. When he's off he looks like Laine after a Fortnite binge. There are rumblings of some significant off the ice issues, so those will have to be in check. As of now there is probably too much risk to take him high... but the talent is there to be the top Finn drafted IMO. If he produces and gets along with the coaching staff and front office, he'll rise pretty significantly.
Wow wow wow.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
On the bright side for Oilers fans, they need to win now anyway... and there is a great excuse to just trade every future pick sitting next to Holland now.

Reactions: The Abusement Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad