Around the League - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Montreal is a pressure cooker unlike any team Laine has ever played for. Winnipeg is a Canadian market, sure, but it's not the same as the scrutiny you face in a place like Montreal. Those fans have been depressed for a long time, and the expectations for him will be tremendous.

I could see it playing out not too differently than another top 3 pick who ended up there: Jonathan Drouin. Former top pick who is struggling, expected to be a top player. Laine isn't also French Canadian on top of that, but still, the harsh lights of that town will only get brighter if he doesn't immediately make an impact on the ice. For somebody who may already be struggling with mental health, it's not an ideal landing spot.

It may end up being an absolute steal for Montreal, but if it goes wrong the big loser of the trade won't be the team, it will be Laine.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Montreal is a pressure cooker unlike any team Laine has ever played for. Winnipeg is a Canadian market, sure, but it's not the same as the scrutiny you face in a place like Montreal. Those fans have been depressed for a long time, and the expectations for him will be tremendous.

I could see it playing out not too differently than another top 3 pick who ended up there: Jonathan Drouin. Former top pick who is struggling, expected to be a top player. Laine isn't also French Canadian on top of that, but still, the harsh lights of that town will only get brighter if he doesn't immediately make an impact on the ice. For somebody who may already be struggling with mental health, it's not an ideal landing spot.

It may end up being an absolute steal for Montreal, but if it goes wrong the big loser of the trade won't be the team, it will be Laine.
And once his contract is up he comes to the Avs for $1 mil.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
There is a LOT of Laine bashing in Finland. But I ain't one of that group and I hope he turns things around big time. The flipside to that pressure market in Montreal is if you do great they will love you even more. A fresh start is good for where he seems to be right now in his career and life. All the best Patty, f*** the doubters and show 'em what ya truly got!

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Edmonton declining to match the offer sheets is completely baffling to me. Why go through all the effort to clear the cap room then?

Seems like something they would've done anyways to give them in-season manueverability. Not like Ceci was worth anything anyways.

Blues just became a very expensive defensive team for not a lot of quality. At least Buffalo has Dahlin, Blues have a lot of middle pairing guys making a lot.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd expect Laine to have a very good first part of the season, but for it to fall apart eventually. Somehow he'll still end up with a near PPG production, but will be universally hated.

Montreal is very much the team to gives chances to struggling talent.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

Steal at that contract ?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Even after not matching, and trading Ceci, they only have $946k in cap space. I know they can put Kane on LTIR and free up another $5.13M, but how long is he on LTIR, and does he want to go.on LTIR?
Kane needs every dollar he can make. Probably not good for his career to sit out forever. At least they can't take him to Vegas or Toronto island.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So I'm in Montreal for a couple of days and today I took the guided tour of the Bell Center. I didn't know what to expect but it was awesome TBH. The Habs locker room is something else.

They are already selling Laine jerseys...

koOasX1.jpeg

cOoLf8e.jpeg

DrpnMRQ.jpeg

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
So I'm in Montreal for a couple of days and today I took the guided tour of the Bell Center. I didn't know what to expect but it was awesome TBH. The Habs locker room is something else.

koOasX1.jpeg

cOoLf8e.jpeg

DrpnMRQ.jpeg
No wonder they suck, the logo is still on the floor and walked over by the players. Get it on the ceiling like everyone else.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No wonder they suck, the logo is still on the floor and walked over by the players. Get it on the ceiling like everyone else.
The red carpet in front is placed over the logo when they play, no one walks on it. We weren't allowed to walk in the locker room.

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It's next level stupid to have a don't walk on the logo rule and put it right in the middle of a locker room. If you don't want people walking on it put the damn logo on the walls or ceiling, problem solved.

Reactions: Zolik37

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

koOasX1.jpeg

cOoLf8e.jpeg

DrpnMRQ.jpeg
I can't wait for Laine to play soft so we can all collectively make wool puns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad