Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Yea sure. What I meant that at the moment it really does not provide any meaningful advantage. If players playing in Canada would have to pay 20% more taxes, that is a huge disadvantage and something probably would have to be coined up to relieve that.

giphy (1).gif

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It is all a matter of perspective. I don't personally mind Philly. It is pretty rough, but there is a lot of charm too. If you can get past the crime and generally stay out of the bad areas (except when you want a good cheesesteak), it is pretty cool. If you're sensitive to crime and expect everything to be clean... it is not a city you'd want to live in.

Keep in mind, I really like Detroit and it is one of my favorite cities. My tolerance to somethings is pretty high.
I disagree with that statement. You don't seem to tolerate windows opened very long.....:sarcasm:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Baltimore gotta be the roughest place in the States, no?

The Wire made Baltimore seem like a literal shit can lol.
Oh, I supose there are literal dozens of small towns much worse along with many border towns for pure choas. But the Wire really exposed some ugly, ugly stuff and it was effecting a much larger population than the other stuff I mentioned.

For living through, I would think extreme places in the southwest as well as Buffalo (for the lake effect snows) woulc both be more butal to live in weather wise at least.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Baltimore gotta be the roughest place in the States, no?

The Wire made Baltimore seem like a literal shit can lol.
For larger cities, it is definitely top 5. Detroit, Memphis, St Louis all give it a run or surpass in some ways. As a whole, there are some really sketch smaller cities too. Little Rock Arkansas is would give any of them a run. That place is rough. Baton Rouge is a pretty rough place. Then you have all the border towns. Plenty of others like ABQ, Bakersfield, Birmingham etc. It’s been a while, but 15 years ago I recall Anchorage being pretty rough too.

My personal view… St Louis is the roughest followed by Little Rock. Those two, outside gated neighborhoods, it gets harder to avoid it daily. Detroit, Memphis, and Baltimore, you can avoid it if you’re careful and research a bit.

One I find kinda interesting that always seems to come up in the list is Orlando. Don’t get me wrong Orlando certainly has some crime… but it is main property crime and theft. Shitty, but not actually dangerous.

Last edited:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
For larger cities, it is definitely top 5. Detroit, Memphis, St Louis all give it a run or surpass in some ways. As a whole, there are some really sketch smaller cities too. Little Rock Arkansas is would give any of them a run. That place is rough. Baton Rouge is a pretty rough place. Then you have all the border towns. Plenty of others like ABQ, Bakersfield, Birmingham etc. It’s been a while, but 15 years ago I recall Anchorage being pretty rough too.

My personal view… St Louis is the roughest followed by Little Rock. Those two, outside gated neighborhoods, it gets harder to avoid it daily. Detroit, Memphis, and Baltimore, you can avoid it if you’re careful and research a bit.

One I find kinda interesting that always seems to come up in the list is Orlando. Don’t get me wrong Orlando certainly has some crime… but it is main property crime and theft. Shitty, but not actually dangerous.

Birmingham actually isn't that bad, at least not compared to some of those other places. I lived there for a few years while doing my residency. Orlando isn't even close to being rough IMO. It's a big city so inevitably it'll have a few spots but IMO downtown Denver with all the junkies is way worse.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Birmingham actually isn't that bad, at least not compared to some of those other places. I lived there for a few years while doing my residency. Orlando isn't even close to being rough IMO. It's a big city so inevitably it'll have a few spots but IMO downtown Denver with all the junkies is way worse.
It’s probably been a decade since I’ve been to Birmingham, maybe it’s cleaned up?

Yeah Orlando just has high crime stats for getting your car broken into at Disney or Universal. Or some graffiti. Or a stolen python.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
It’s probably been a decade since I’ve been to Birmingham, maybe it’s cleaned up?

Yeah Orlando just has high crime stats for getting your car broken into at Disney or Universal. Or some graffiti. Or a stolen python.

Yeah I lived in Birmingham from December, 2018-June, 2020 and it was actually a very nice experience IMO. Alabama is a strange place is the way I describe it to people. It's a vertical line of relative niceness across the middle of the state Huntsville-Birmingham-Montgomery-Mobile but if you stray from that line by about 15-20 miles either East/West, you go back in time by like 50 years lol. Still though, I had a great experience in Birmingham. Great vibe, really nice people, and some great BBQ joints.

Ahhh, I see what you mean about Orlando. Yeah I guess that would make sense. It's the mickey mouse criminals instead of the heavy timers lol.

Reactions: henchman21

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm surprised that Quenneville hasn't been hired yet.
Not really that surprising TBH. He probably wants a HC job. He was re-instated when everybody other than Columbus had already their man in place, and they were not going to have another PR disaster just after Babcock.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lmao what the hell

Jeff Jackson was doing so well and he just erased all the good stuff he did in a heartbeat. Terrible hockey move, even worse PR move
Not going to say Jeff's moves were bad but Oilers lost the Cup because of defence and they haven't upgraded one player yet on that defensive core. Additionally, they made the Cup Finals because of an absurd penalty kill which won't be able to repeat itself for next season even though most Edmonton fans think it will lol.

Also Jackson mentioned he didn't want to be the GM. As someone who wants them to fail, I'm not sure if this move is good or not. Bowman has done stupid moves but I also think he won't be stupid or blinded by that defensive core and how it needs to change.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
So when r they hiring Babcock as head coach? Lol edmonton finds new and creative ways to mess up

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahaha this is amazing. Stan Bowman is not a good GM. He didn't build that Blackhawks team, he inherited it - the exact same way Chiarelli was given credit for inheriting a great Boston team on the cusp.

Some teams never learn.

Funny thing is, the guy who gets credit for building that team ultimately proved HE wasn't a good GM either.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad