Around the League - 2023/24

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I wonder what happened to Jeff Marek. He hasn't been on social media since the draft, EF said on his post-draft quick podcast that Marek took the red eye after the draft. He said they would do a post free agency episode of 32 thoughts, but crickets so far. Marek also wasn't present on the last episodes of his own show, nor has he appeared anywhere else either.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I wonder what happened to Jeff Marek. He hasn't been on social media since the draft, EF said on his post-draft quick podcast that Marek took the red eye after the draft. He said they would do a post free agency episode of 32 thoughts, but crickets so far. Marek also wasn't present on the last episodes of his own show, nor has he appeared anywhere else either.
hopefully he disappears the little dweeb

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I'm a little surprised there's been such a huge lull, I thought they'd come out with something not long after July 1st.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I understand trying to get it right, especially after what happened last year, but I think it's incredibly stupid CBJ still doesn't have a HC in mid-July. Going through the entire free agency process and rookie camp (I assume they had one?) without a HC?

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
1- McDavid is much closer to Gretzky than he is to the 4th guy (Forsberg)

2- Mack would be significantly higher without the Duchene era.

3- Era adjusted, Mario is the best hockey player that ever played the game

tLZG1yl.png
Caught the tail end of the Gretzky era and all of Super Mario. Gretzky was amazing but Mario played like no other in his prime.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

His Wikipedia page says he’s been a vegan since 2008. Maybe he fell off the wagon and had a döner kebab and is now dealing with that?

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
What? Make no mistake...Climate Pleadge is a completely new stadium. The only thing they kept was the roof because it was considered such a local treasure to the community. They literally cut the roof off, lifted it up, demolished everything underneath, dug deep into the earth and then built a completely new stadium that was designed to allow the old roof to sit on top. This actually significantly increased the cost of the project but was done as a commitment to the community.

Now, I'm not saying that SLC's final project will be as good because it's not a complete gut, but I will say that there is the potential for this to really be considered a completely different arena once completed.

I'm actually willing to give Ryan Smith the benefit of the doubt that I would never have extended to Shenkarow, Gluckstern & Burke, Ellman, Moyes, the NHL, IceArizona, Barroway, or Meruelo. Think about the difference in finances and competence between Smith and all these others. My biggest beef with Ryan is that I want to default spelling his last name as Smyth.
Don't forget the extra cost of all the green tech needed for Virtue Signal Arena™. That sh*t aint cheap.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The timing sucks. But Waddell was hired late too, and so he, rightfully, had to prioritize both the draft and free-agency over the HC position, but I think even he realizes this is the second year in a row the organization has been this far into the off-season without a head-coach.

I do kind of like the names they've been batting around though. Vets that should be able to step in with full confidence, knowing exactly the plan that they want and should be free to make the changes necessary to do so. It seems like they are going the route of finding a coach who can help make them better, rather than a coach who will accept the job for no/little money and no real authority for change.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If Columbus wants to compete for a playoff spot I'd probably hire Evason. I have no clue how good or bad Woodcroft will look without Connor McDavid at his disposal.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Evason would be the better choice.

I read that talks between the Jackets and Todd McLellan broke down but Portzline wasn't sure if the breakdown was between Lumbus and McLellan himself or Lumbus and the Kings.
In a nutshell:

- CBJ want him
- McLellan is still getting paid by LAK for the 24-25 season
- In theory if another team takes the coach, LAK are off the hook and don't need to pay him anymore
- However, CBJ offer McLellan only a fraction of the price that he's getting paid by LAK
- LAK don't want to let him go and pay the difference. They would rather wait until someone else picks him and take his whole salary.

No deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Meh. McLellan wouldn't be my first choice of those three anyway, so I understand not wanting to pursue that option further if he's going to be the most expensive.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
More like "cash strapped."

Thing is, the owners there are their own worst enemy. I get not wanting to tear it down and what not, but their attempts to try and jumpstart the process have been far, far more costly.
I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to nickel and dime a sports franchise you really shouldn't be owning one.

Reactions: Bender

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meh. McLellan wouldn't be my first choice of those three anyway, so I understand not wanting to pursue that option further if he's going to be the most expensive.
Agreed, he'd be the worst option of the three. I imagine he'd get the most immediate results since his schtick is to just clog and trap the living shit outta the other team, but after a while the warts would show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad