Toronto Maple Leafs' 1967-2024 Futility -- Historical Equivalents

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
With the St. Louis Blues winning the 2019 Stanley Cup, they were officially removed from the list of contenders for "saddest NHL franchise", where they'd previously been listed alongside Toronto, Vancouver, and Buffalo.

Toronto has to get the nod ahead of Vancouver and Buffalo (for now... though the Sabres are currently making a good case for themselves) due to the following factors:

1) Toronto, unlike Buffalo (twice) and Vancouver (three times), hasn't been to the Cup Final since 1967. (The Leafs actually haven't won three playoff rounds in one spring since 1932.)

2) The Leafs haven't iced many strong teams. The Canucks were perpetually poor from 1976-77 to 1990-91 (but made the Finals in 1982), for a handful of years around the late-90s to the millennium, and again for most (not all) of 2015-16 to 2022-23. But, they made the Cup Finals in three different eras (early 80s, mid-90s, early 2010s), and have finished in 1st in their division 11 times, compared to 2 for Toronto. Then, Buffalo had almost always been a competitive team and had rarely fallen out of the playoff picture (for more than two seasons and once for three) between their origin in 1970-71 and 2010-11. Now, of course, they're in a long period of futility, but before that they were a notably successful -- if championship-less -- franchise. The Maple Leafs, however, fell out of serious Cup competition in 1967-68, arguably, and have only been considered really competitive (at a long-shot) very briefly circa 1993-94, 2000-2004, and again in the past five or six years (despite annual playoff disappointments). In fairness to the Leafs, they've missed the playoffs "only" 19 times since 1970-71, whereas Vancouver and Buffalo have each missed 24 times. However, half of Buffalo's misses are in their current ongoing stretch, and Toronto was making the playoffs frequently around 1979 to 1992 despite their awful team, simply because they were placed in the futile Norris division.

3) Toronto is (along with Montreal), the planet's #1 hockey market. It's also the home-area and home-team for countless Canadian youths, including those who become pro-hockey players. It's not like Winnipeg or Edmonton, where it's always hard to get free agents to sign, or a place where (you'd think) highly-paid players would be able to slack off and avoid large-scale scrutiny. In the pre-Cap era, the franchise was rolling in money. In other words, the Leafs don't really have any excuse for their team / management / roster flaws (well, other than Ballard, but he was part of the management).

So, in any case, it's now been 57 years (!) since the Maple Leafs lifted the big, silver Cup. I remember in my mid-teens when all the talk was about the Rangers' futility for 50 years... 52 years... 54 years (just), and then they won. The Leafs are now three years past the Rangers mark of 54 years. If the Leafs don't win in the next three seasons, they'll hit 60 YEARS without winning.

What are other hockey / sports' equivalents, taking all things into consideration?

I guess nothing (at present) can compare to the MLB Chicago Cubs, which had a 71-year National League pennant drought and a 108-year World Series championship drought (the latter being the North American pro-sports' record). But the Cubs shared their city with another MLB club (White Sox) and thus probably didn't have the same draw to players and agents as they would if they'd been the sole club in Chicago. By contrast, in the entire SW Ontario region, Toronto stands alone to this day. Before 1992, Toronto stood alone in Ontario. And from 1968 to 1979, Toronto stood alone in Canada for the whole region west of Quebec.

In the NBA, there's the L.A. Clippers (formerly of San Diego and before that, Buffalo -- in exactly the same year as the Sabres). Though more competitive in the past 15 years or so, the Clippers have to date still never played a game in the NBA Finals, a stretch going on for an NBA-record 54 years. Again, though, the Clippers have obviously shared the L.A. area with the highly successful Lakers, which probably puts them always at a competitive disadvantage.

Thoughts?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Cowboys are building something here since 1996 (some regular season success too) and obviously rated on a curve of how much more valuable of a franchise versus any other North American franchise they are and how dominant Texas is in player base, a bit more than 10% of the nfl player in history come from there I think).

Last edited:
Reactions: David Suzuki

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
For the NFL it has to be the Detroit Lions. Four pre-Super Bowl NFL championships, but nothing post-merger. Only three playoff wins since their last title in 1957, two of which only came last year. Before that, they lost an NFL record 9 straight playoff games.
The Lions aren't really comparable though because the media ecosystem usually ignores them.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Part of me had a bit of a reaction to the title....

ghows-WL-2da71d38-1c9c-4ad7-a0cb-1fe930b6a96d-2c27bdcd.jpeg

It was not all futile.

93 and 94 were no cup, but it was some of the most fun teams and runs you can have, Yzerman RedWings, Cujo Blues than Gretzky Kings, Roenick-Chelios-Belfour Hawks, those fun Sharks than Bure-Linden-McLean Canuck.

132 playoffs win and 1949 regular season win post 1967 is the lowest outside for the Kings and the Seals-Baron true, they never reached the finals true, but with Lanny McDonald-Clark-Burns-Quinn, they lost with some personality.

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoblood

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think the fact that they haven't reached the final in 57 years is mind boggling, and they really haven't come close for a long time.

I thought 2002 was a golden ticket for them to get to the final (not win the cup) when they faced a pedestrian Hurricanes team in the semi final. However, I believe the Hurricanes knocked them out in 6..... another martin gelinas series winner if I remember correctly.

It would have set up a red wings/leafs final, which would have been nostalgic for the norris division fans.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
For the NFL it has to be the Detroit Lions. Four pre-Super Bowl NFL championships, but nothing post-merger. Only three playoff wins since their last title in 1957, two of which only came last year. Before that, they lost an NFL record 9 straight playoff games.
I don't follow (American / Canadian) football at all, but I don't think I'd ever even heard of the Detroit Lions.... which probably proves your point! : )

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Slight nitpick with point 3. Toronto IS the #1 hockey market. It does not share the distinction with Montreal. Montreal is a huge market and probably the 2nd largest, but TO is the clear number 1.

As far as equivalents go for the Leafs near 60 year drought, I don't think there is an equivalent. At least not in NA sports. Its one of the longest droughts in the big 4 sports, and its taking place in what is the largest single market for its sport in NA. And as you have highlighted its not like TO has been particularly successful during its drought. A couple conference finals appearances is all in that time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Slight nitpick with point 3. Toronto IS the #1 hockey market. It does not share the distinction with Montreal. Montreal is a huge market and probably the 2nd largest, but TO is the clear number 1.

As far as equivalents go for the Leafs near 60 year drought, I don't think there is an equivalent. At least not in NA sports. Its one of the longest droughts in the big 4 sports, and its taking place in what is the largest single market for its sport in NA. And as you have highlighted its not like TO has been particularly successful during its drought. A couple conference finals appearances is all in that time.

The Leafs Stanley Cup drought is extremely sad and indefensible, but at 56 years and counting isn't actually outlier terrible in North American sports. As the league gets bigger and bigger I would expect these numbers to pile up for all franchises like for MLB and NFL. Not a club you want to be part of in any case but there are a lot of losers out there.

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
The Leafs Stanley Cup drought is extremely sad and indefensible, but at 56 years and counting isn't actually outlier terrible in North American sports. As the league gets bigger and bigger I would expect these numbers to pile up for all franchises like for MLB and NFL. Not a club you want to be part of in any case but there are a lot of losers out there.

Im aware there are longer droughts. But as far as I am aware none of those are happening in the mecca of their sport. This is partly to do with Hockey being pretty unique in that it has an outsized share of its media, fanbase, player origins, etc. in Leafs country.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Im aware there are longer droughts. But as far as I am aware none of those are happening in the mecca of their sport. This is partly to do with Hockey being pretty unique in that it has an outsized share of its media, fanbase, player origins, etc. in Leafs country.

I'm not even sure if baseball, basketball and football have an equivalent of a Toronto when you talk about a media headquarters or city that produces so many players.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Pro football equivalent has to be the Cleveland Browns. Started out as the model franchise but haven’t won a title since 1964, and haven’t made it to the championship game in the Super Bowl era.

Sadness is compounded by the fact that the Ohio Valley area is considered the birthplace of professional football and remains one of the more football-mad parts of the country.

Reactions: reckoning

BigDucky

May 30, 2008
Downriver, MI
Pro football equivalent has to be the Cleveland Browns. Started out as the model franchise but haven’t won a title since 1964, and haven’t made it to the championship game in the Super Bowl era.

Sadness is compounded by the fact that the Ohio Valley area is considered the birthplace of professional football and remains one of the more football-mad parts of the country.

The Browns though as they exist today are an expansion team that has only existed since the late 90s. The franchise that won in 1964 moved to Baltimore and has won multiple Super Bowls.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
The Leafs aren't quite at the Red Sox level of droughts as they had one from 1918 to 2004. However, winning the World Series in 2004, 2007, 2013 and 2018 has pushed the Red Sox to be among the greatest franchises of all-time in baseball. Only the Yankees and Cardinals have won more. So you tend to forget about the Curse of the Bambino as it is a curse that hasn't existed in 20 years. They aren't at the Cubs' level of 108 years without a World Series either. The Cubs won in 2016, but have been horrible since as well. They are back to being the Cubs again.

For me I think if you take different sports into account they are the Cleveland Browns or the Detroit Lions. Browns haven't won since 1964. Lions since 1957. Neither has made the Super Bowl, which started in 1967. Just like the Leafs, they haven't been to a championship game since around the same time. There is no equivalent in hockey anymore as they ARE the standard for droughts in hockey. Especially since they surpassed the Rangers and their drought of 54 years that ended in 1994. And even the Rangers made the Cup final in 1979 and 2014.

Yeah, they are the Browns and Lions, and that is a BAD standard to be.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
The Browns though as they exist today are an expansion team that has only existed since the late 90s. The franchise that won in 1964 moved to Baltimore and has won multiple Super Bowls.
IMO that actually increases the sadness factor.

The current Browns were not an expansion franchise though — the Browns were deactivated and then reactivated, and the Ravens were the expansion franchise.

Rather than hold a dispersal draft for the Browns’ players and an expansion draft to stock the new Ravens franchise, the league simply had the Ravens inherit the Browns’ roster.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
So, in any case, it's now been 57 years (!) since the Maple Leafs lifted the big, silver Cup. I remember in my mid-teens when all the talk was about the Rangers' futility for 50 years... 52 years... 54 years (just), and then they won. The Leafs are now three years past the Rangers mark of 54 years. If the Leafs don't win in the next three seasons, they'll hit 60 YEARS without winning.
This was what came to mind for me. The Rangers futility also occupied the entirety of the Original 6 era. And it's not like they were even around it...they were a finalist once in that era (1950). We're another Richter gaffe or a Nathan Lafayette crossbar from that suffering being in its eighth decade. And unlike tighwad Ballard, the Rangers have actually tried to buy some Cups along the way too...

I know that 1 is slightly greater than 0. But one Cup in 84 years, given all circumstances, is bottom tier...

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
On a lighter note, the Leafs' lack of success is always good for national unity in Canada - it unites Habs fans, Oilers fans, Bruins fans, etc., in making fun of the Leafs!
There is that, yes.

But even though I don't like the current edition of the Maple Leafs (conversely, I did rather like the c.1999 to 2004 squad), I'm at the point where I start to feel sorry for the fanbase.

Reactions: Staniowski

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5