Around the League - 2023/24

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I dunno. When I see eyesore uniforms like those trotted out by Seattle, Dallas and Vegas, the Utah uniforms have a cool, retro-throwback appeal. Simple and unadorned. I like 'em.

As for the team name - same thing. It works for European soccer teams. Why not the NHL? Better than force-feeding some Godawful name like "Venom" . . . or some "winter theme" knock-off name that they're gonna have to pay Kroenke for the rights to use.

Reactions: Pokecheque

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I feel like there is more dignity to names like "xxx football club" or "xxx united".

But in a league where every team is named after an animal, force of nature etc., it would be weird to have one team that stands out too much by calling themselves a "hockey team".

Well please remember that according to @LOFIN , "hockey team" is bland but "hockey club" is the real business.

• Haha
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Well please remember that according to @LOFIN , "hockey team" is bland but "hockey club" is the real business.
But there is a distinction! :laugh: Kinda like university is different from elementary school.

Frankly, for me it's just that the other options suck ass. There are good "nicknames" in NA sports and people had good suggestions for the Utah team. But Yeti, Mammoth, Venom... barf.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
But there is a distinction! :laugh: Kinda like university is different from elementary school.

Frankly, for me it's just that the other options suck ass. There are good "nicknames" in NA sports and people had good suggestions for the Utah team. But Yeti, Mammoth, Venom... barf.

Mammoth is elite. I know you'd get yourself a day one Laine Mammoth jersey.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Absolutely f***ing shit. What is it with you North Americans and your gimmicky kindergarden style names? I bet you also have nicknames at your jobs like "warehouse packers" or "financial sector shadows" for your co-workers. Why?

Some of the NA sports teams names are fine, actually have a story connected to them. Most of them are a nickname for a sake of a nickname.

Utah Hockey Club actually sounds like a sports team, not a kindergarden club.
No joke, when I got my first job at a local grocery store as a teenager bagging groceries, my job title was not "grocery bagger", it was "courtesy clerk".

I'm a printer technician now, but my job title is officially "Printer Maintenance Administrator ". I don't even "administrate" anything, I just fix printers. Corporate job titles can be weird as hell.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
No joke, when I got my first job at a local grocery store as a teenager bagging groceries, my job title was not "grocery bagger", it was "courtesy clerk".

I'm a printer technician now, but my job title is officially "Printer Maintenance Administrator ". I don't even "administrate" anything, I just fix printers. Corporate job titles can be weird as hell.
Kinda like Subway is calling their employees "Sandwich artists"

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
Years back, my attorney and accountant purchased a minor-league baseball team. They did the same name contest as Utah and many other teams. They picked Sandgnat, which is an incredibly annoying little bug - like a mosquito but with a far worse attitude. I wondered why they would choose the absolute nemesis of all Savannahians. Their reply? About 50% of their net profit came from merchandise sales, and a cartoonish bug sold a ton of merchandise.

In that vein, Mammoth or Yeti would make a huggable plush toy which kids would demand their parents purchase. I grew up near New York City, and strangely enough, not a single team ( Mets, Yankees, Rangers, Islanders, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets and Cosmos back in the day) had a particularly magical mascot. Obviously, NYC is a huge market, so there was not a dire need. But Utah is a small market, and will need every penny of profit they can get.

So much for the Utah Used Needles

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Um, why now?
Well obviously they didn't want to make the decision for their new GM that they hadn't hired untill 3 weeks ago.

Now that Jarmo is gone it's time for CBJ to move on from hard ass coaches.

That said, I still don't know if Vincent was like this because that's what his boss was looking for or that's really him.
They tried that with Brad Larsen, how did that work out?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I hope Columbus can actually do some good. Why would Bucci suggest Blashill?
Blashill is very well respected around the league. I don't know if he's the right guy for a team right now, but his work in Detroit probably gets a bad wrap. That team was way on the downslope and then went into rebuilding mode while he was there. Not a great spot to get your feet wet.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Blashill is very well respected around the league. I don't know if he's the right guy for a team right now, but his work in Detroit probably gets a bad wrap. That team was way on the downslope and then went into rebuilding mode while he was there. Not a great spot to get your feet wet.
Something, something Tony Granato, Joe Sacco...

I'm not saying Blashill is inept. I just don't know how much faith I would put in him if I was trying to fix a seriously broken organization. But I will give him this, I've never heard anyone call him unprofessional. That alone probably makes this a win for the players.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Something, something Tony Granato, Joe Sacco...

I'm not saying Blashill is inept. I just don't know how much faith I would put in him if I was trying to fix a seriously broken organization. But I will give him this, I've never heard anyone call him unprofessional. That alone probably makes this a win for the players.
Yeah we just don’t know. There are some GMs that strongly believe the 2nd time around is when coaches are their best. Maybe that is here… maybe it isn’t.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Friedman feels for Vincent? The guy did everything he possibly could to get fired. What a bad coach. He probably doesn't get another HC opportunity for several years because of how bad he was.

Jackets players are probably thrilled.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They tried that with Brad Larsen, how did that work out?
Well, hard-ass or soft-ass, doesn't really matter if the coach isn't any good. Same applies to Vincent.

Friedman feels for Vincent? The guy did everything he possibly could to get fired. What a bad coach. He probably doesn't get another HC opportunity for several years because of how bad he was.

Jackets players are probably thrilled.
Yep. Quite possibly the most incompetent single season of NHL coaching I've ever seen. Even when the season was long gone and it was time to look to the future, he kept shortening his bench and not allowing his rookies and youngsters to at least learn on the ice.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad