Around the League - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Bettman doesn't want it it to be public and claims privacy as the reason.

My personal tin foil hat is folded twice... first, nobody having the information gives an illusion of no cap (though any idiot knows differently). Second and probably the reason he really wants nobody to know... nobody but teams knowing everybody's salaries naturally keeps salaries down. Agents would know their clients, but that's it. They wouldn't have the full records from around the league. This leads to less comparables, especially for RFAs... since it would only have to be disclosed during mediation.
I was wondering why you'd say that because I know MLS does (or did) make all their salary and contract stuff public, but they'd presumably want to drive up their salaries/teams/interest/everything else. Couldn't have the NHL doing that!

I don't follow any other North American sports but I see enough thread titles on here to know everyone knows how much basketball, baseball and American football players are paid. Not like the NHL to be different and worse for the sake of it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Still, teams that were relying on it deserve what's coming to them. We are talking organizations that run on hundreds of millions of dollars, the fact that they are so dependent on a 3rd party freeware site is pretty amateurish.
You’d be shocked at how many huge businesses operate in this manner. Pro sports just crank up the cheapness to 11.

Reactions: The Moops

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You’d be shocked at how many huge businesses operate in this manner. Pro sports just crank up the cheapness to 11.
Sure, but I think this is just such an egregious example because of the direct competition and teams should've known this was a possibility (or frankly just NHL buying it and shutting it down or something). Companies make the mistake on hedging their business on certain volatile things/technologies all the time, no question.

But it mostly sucks for the fans and it's pretty annoying how Bettman and the league don't really seem to gasp how necessary this information is for the fans as well. The NHL is really the only league where this info is so crucial because everything depends on it, and that's all your doing with the hard salary cap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sure, but I think this is just such an egregious example because of the direct competition and teams should've known this was a possibility (or frankly just NHL buying it and shutting it down or something). Companies make the mistake on hedging their business on certain volatile things/technologies all the time, no question.
So… you’re saying Dubas is smart!

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

But it mostly sucks for the fans and it's pretty annoying how Bettman and the league don't really seem to gasp how necessary this information is for the fans as well. The NHL is really the only league where this info is so crucial because everything depends on it, and that's all your doing with the hard salary cap.
They should show a player's salary on the digital board ads when they score a goal.

Reactions: missionAvs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
They should show a player's salary on the digital board ads when they score a goal.
I mean that's how we view and rate players these days. Not by their style of play, their skill, their persona, their attitude... but their production relative to their cost. Which is kinda sad.

I mean it's fun to an extent, especially for those of us who are more interested in the sport. But when every casual fan needs to think about this stuff, then you know it has gone too far.

"Who's your favourite player son?"
"Player X! He has a funny name and he plays so exiting!"
"You well you should pick another player because he's absolute trash value for that contract and the reason we are never winning a cup sonny!"

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Thing about capfriendly. I wonder if he ever thought about hiring a gamer to help him generate revenue. If he had been able to incorporate a little AI he could have made a killing by selling it to the public for $20-50 a year. Two things he had to do:
1. Be able to simulate seasons/games while your are in Arm Chair GM.
2. Develop AI logic to reasonable accept/decline or counter-offer trade proposals for the opposing GM(s). Realistic is the key.

This would basically be ECHM on steroids. Build in offer-sheet, buyout, waivers, qualifying offers calculators galore.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I may as well be the one to say it - that green/yellow/white combo is ugly too. The green and the yellow are too bright, there isn't any contrast. Trimming that with white is obviously redundant. Their logo doesn't work without red in it either (their logo doesn't work at all, obviously)

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I do not disagree in the slightest, but implying the importance of what a good WAR value can be said of a player.
1718212091686.png

Sport is entertainment, not maths.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Apparently Newhook speaks good Finnish:

The Montreal version of Sam Girard makes French seem like a more ridiculous language than Finnish, which is an achievement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad