GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Matthews is apparently no playing tonight so 90% chance of Leafs victory.

He will return for Game 7, score a hat trick, and the Leafs will proceed to lose 3-7 :)
That or they best Boston without him playing again this round. Only to get swept by Florida.

Either way the headlines would be glorious.

The only way headlines aren't glorious is if Boston beats Toronto. Then it'll be a summer of "we didn't have our best player and Nylander was hurt". Which won't be bad because Treliving will just continue with the club he has and they will go nowhere again next year.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
If Matthews has a concussion and he played part of a game with concussion like symptoms i wonder if the NHL gets involved and the Leafs get penalized.

The league has all the protocols now to avoid such a scenario. Feels like someone screwed up somewhere in this story.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Matthews has a concussion and he played part of a game with concussion like symptoms i wonder if the NHL gets involved and the Leafs get penalized.

The league has all the protocols now to avoid such a scenario. Feels like someone screwed up somewhere in this story.
It's pretty hard to pinpoint when it comes to concussions. It's possible they checked him out and was fine only to end up with symptoms later.

Be pretty hard for the league to prove that Leafs did something wrong. Unless of course someone on the Leafs comes out and says that they didn't follow protocols.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
It's pretty hard to pinpoint when it comes to concussions. It's possible they checked him out and was fine only to end up with symptoms later.

Be pretty hard for the league to prove that Leafs did something wrong. Unless of course someone on the Leafs comes out and says that they didn't follow protocols.

I don't disagree. We don't know the whole story either because it's the playoffs and its the NHL so who knows.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

The fact that they went into the playoffs that hobbled, despite being locked into the 3rd seed for some time should see heads roll.

But pursuing 70 was more important than getting the team rested and healthy heading into the playoffs.

It's the same crap the OIl did during the Covid season, where they blew their load down the stretch trying to get McDavid to 100pts, and then didn't have another gear for the Jets.

Contrast that to the team this year where once McDavid got the briefest of leads during the scoring race, the group seemed to more or less lose all interest in the regular season. Even 100 assists didn't seem that big for them.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The fact that they went into the playoffs as a hobbled, despite being locked into the 3rd seed for some time should see heads roll.

But pursuing 70 was more important than getting the team rested and healthy heading into the playoffs.

It's the same crap the OIl did during the Covid season, where they blew their load down the stretch trying to get McDavid to 100pts, and then didn't have another gear for the Jets.

Contrast that to the team this year where once McDavid got the briefest of leads during the scoring race, the group seemed to more or less lose all interest in the regular season. Even 100 assists didn't seem that big for them.

I hope to wake up tomorrow to see the Leafs lost.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It would be so Toronto for them to come out tonight and shit the bed and lose the series at home after a gritty Game 5 win. It would also be so Toronto for them to win tonight and then lose in Game 7 in Boston for maximum heartbreak. But either way, I kind of feel for Leaf fans this time around with the Matthews and Nylander injuries or illness. That's pretty awful luck.

As for Nashville and Vancouver... I just hope this one goes to Game 7 and they beat the shit out of each other. Nashville would probably be an easier matchup for the Oilers but a series against Vancouver would be so fun to experience and watch. I'm just glad we can sit back and relax for a week while the other Canadian fan bases have to suffer with nerves.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It would be so Toronto for them to come out tonight and shit the bed and lose the series at home after a gritty Game 5 win. It would also be so Toronto for them to win tonight and then lose in Game 7 in Boston for maximum heartbreak. But either way, I kind of feel for Leaf fans this time around with the Matthews and Nylander injuries or illness. That's pretty awful luck.

As for Nashville and Vancouver... I just hope this one goes to Game 7 and they beat the shit out of each other. Nashville would probably be an easier matchup for the Oilers but a series against Vancouver would be so fun to experience and watch. I'm just glad we can sit back and relax for a week while the other Canadian fan bases have to suffer with nerves.

I think this is exactly what will happen. I anticipate a decisive Leaf victory tonight to get Leaf fans' hopes up followed up by a total Bruin whitewash in Game 7.

I called a Predator comeback in the Vancouver series after Game 4 and I'm sticking to it. I anticipate another couple of low event 2-1/3-1 Predator wins in the next two games.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if Leaf fans want to know why they're so hated, go see their around the league bored.

Morons actually think the NHL rigged the series in our favour. The NHL has never been in our favour.

See the compensation pick to Calgary, or altering the draft lottery because of us, or the Pietro suspension, or the Makar offside, or....

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if Leaf fans want to know why they're so hated, go see their around the league bored.

Morons actually think the NHL rigged the series in our favour. The NHL has never been in our favour.

See the compensation pick to Calgary, or altering the draft lottery because of us, or the Pietro suspension, or the Makar offside, or....

Common perception among the dumber fanbases in the league. Only possible way the Oilers win anything in their underdeveloped minds is if it is somehow "rigged."

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

Well yeah, concussion protocol was exactly what we saw with the Kane and Englund check/fight. Went to the box but then down the hall because it's protocol! hmmm if it's concussion then they absolutely need a fine.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Leafs fans never watch our games. It’s hilarious they always have these type of opinions.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
TSN overdrive giving the Oilers some credit. Basically saying our top guys went and got it done and the leafs big players should take notes.

No excuses just get it done.
Edmonton got it done because they have a better team right now. We know what it looks like when Drai/Mcdavid have mediocre support depth, a weak defensive core, and suspect goaltending on par with the current iteration of the Leafs - we watched them get punted by a weak chicago team and swept by the Jets for those reasons just a few seasons ago. These same media guys using the Oiler's success now to bludgeon Leafs for their poor performances were at the time openly speculating(or more accurately, gloating) that Mcdavid/Drai were regular season allstars who would never achieve any playoff success, especially after the winnipeg series where they struggled to create offense.

But hey, if leaf media want to continue to badger their star players because they can't will a flawed roster of pretenders past superior opponents in the first round every year, I'm all for it :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad