GDT: SVK vs LAT 19.5.2024

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
So we most likely end up 4th in our group. Assuming our loss to Sweden and Latvia's loss to the States.

That means Canada and Czechs duke it out for the chance to play us in the QFs.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Congrats to Latvia though, took their chance against the run of the play in the 1st period, and battled to keep Slovakia off the scoresheet for most of the game, and then again took their chance when under pressure when it mattered again. This was mostly Gudlevskis' win though, what a performance!

So we most likely end up 4th in our group. Assuming our loss to Sweden and Latvia's loss to the States.

That means Canada and Czechs duke it out for the chance to play us in the QFs.
Latvia can still shock USA, but yeah, if they don't, I'd almost prefer us playing Canada than Czechs.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Definitely some micro-injury bothering him.
Look how hard it was for him to wake up after every shooutout attempt
Yeah, that has been happening during the game too. Hopefully nothing major, because if he is injured, then oooh boy, do I don't trust Merzlikins.

Reactions: Krispy

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It just goes on to show the level of hockey in Slovakia. Losing to a team that got steamrolled 8-1 by Germany and 7-1 by Sweden - a country which isn't even in the top 10
It’s just unfortunate timing considering Slovakia’s young talent. They will be much better in a couple of years as those players mature.

Reactions: Pomee

PapaQ

Jun 18, 2010
f*** it, a bit lucky by Latvia....but never the less, they fought hard and now they have chance to secure their qf.

Reactions: Jakub97

krutais23

May 1, 2023
f*** it, a bit lucky by Latvia....but never the less, they fought hard and now they have chance to secure their qf.
They can only get max 12 points, Slovakia can get 1 more vs Sweden and they are in QF, cant secure only by ourselves ;)

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
It just goes on to show the level of hockey in Slovakia. Losing to a team that got steamrolled 8-1 by Germany and 7-1 by Sweden - a country which isn't even in the top 10

Every game is different, Namejs. That is the beauty of hockey.

It has been a very competitive game and it could have gone both ways. Congratulations!

The USA has a reason to win the game against you on Tuesday while for Sweden the only reason to win the game against us would be to keep the winning streak (which is still a good enough reason - ask the Swiss).

I never underestimate a team like Latvia and only naive Slovak fans would think about this game as an easy win just because we won 1 game against a strong opponent.

We can challenge TOP teams, and win something here and there while loose some games against opponents in the lower part of the ranking.

Nevertheless, this year the odds seem rather pleasant. USA wants to bring the "winning mentality" into QF and Sweden will very likely have a secure spot N.1.

I believe that we will be able to "steal" one point against Scandinavians.

However, If you take 3 points in the game against the USA and we take none, there is no doubt of who deserves to be in QF.

Reactions: Pomee and Czechboy

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
This kind of result is why I find Slovakia an uncomfortable team to play against. For years they have been very uneven - just look at how very many times they have not made the quarter finals - while also regularly taking points off the big guys.

In contrast, while the Czechs have fallen WAY down the pecking order after the golden period 20 years ago, they pretty much ALWAYS make the quarter finals.

BUT: on a good day, the Slovaks can comfortably beat absolutely anyone. Seems like the psychological factor is big for them. I’d still rather play them than any other top team in Group B in the quarterfinals, but if they deliver the kind of positive performance they are capable of, they could end up sending any team home.

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
This game could not have been much closer than it was. :laugh:
-------------------------------------------------------
Screenshot_12.png

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
This kind of result is why I find Slovakia an uncomfortable team to play against. For years they have been very uneven - just look at how very many times they have not made the quarter finals - while also regularly taking points off the big guys.

In contrast, while the Czechs have fallen WAY down the pecking order after the golden period 20 years ago, they pretty much ALWAYS make the quarter finals.

BUT: on a good day, the Slovaks can comfortably beat absolutely anyone. Seems like the psychological factor is big for them. I’d still rather play them than any other top team in Group B in the quarterfinals, but if they deliver the kind of positive performance they are capable of, they could end up sending any team home.
Yeah, there is an unwritten rule, which I happily obey - don't bet on or against the slovaks.

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023

I think that sums up everything.

We are a mentally weak nation. That´s our biggest limitation.

Anyway, can´t wait to see tomorrow´s hockey. If we can surprise Sweden - that might be a momentum for us towards the QF. Hopefully, we can play like those first 2 periods against the States.

Is the Swedish team having a "team building" tonight? :D :D

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I think that sums up everything.

We are a mentally weak nation. That´s our biggest limitation.

Anyway, can´t wait to see tomorrow´s hockey. If we can surprise Sweden - that might be a momentum for us towards the QF. Hopefully, we can play like those first 2 periods against the States.

Is the Swedish team having a "team building" tonight? :D :D
Well, that is the thing about Slovakia: you might actually surprise them and win!!

• Haha
Reactions: Jakub97

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Not a suprise. We have nothing to play for. They are gonna smash us.
🤣Doubt it. Certainly not “smash”. I do genuinely think Slovakia have a chance as they have a chance against any top team, but even you with your Swedish anti-Swedish trolling will have to admit that Sweden is THE team to beat so far at this tournament. I am very relieved our Czech team is safe from playing Sweden in the quarter finals.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad