GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Edmonton got it done because they have a better team right now. We know what it looks like when Drai/Mcdavid have mediocre support depth, a weak defensive core, and suspect goaltending on par with the current iteration of the Leafs - we watched them get punted by a weak chicago team and swept by the Jets for those reasons just a few seasons ago. These same media guys using the Oiler's success now to bludgeon Leafs for their poor performances were at the time openly speculating(or more accurately, gloating) that Mcdavid/Drai were regular season allstars who would never achieve any playoff success, especially after the winnipeg series where they struggled to create offense.

But hey, if leaf media want to continue to badger their star players because they can't will a flawed roster of pretenders past superior opponents in the first round every year, I'm all for it :laugh:
I think you are over thinking it. We had a chance to close the series out and Drai and McDavid put on a clinic and got it done is their point.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Edmonton got it done because they have a better team right now. We know what it looks like when Drai/Mcdavid have mediocre support depth, a weak defensive core, and suspect goaltending on par with the current iteration of the Leafs - we watched them get punted by a weak chicago team and swept by the Jets for those reasons just a few seasons ago. These same media guys using the Oiler's success now to bludgeon Leafs for their poor performances were at the time openly speculating(or more accurately, gloating) that Mcdavid/Drai were regular season allstars who would never achieve any playoff success, especially after the winnipeg series where they struggled to create offense.

But hey, if leaf media want to continue to badger their star players because they can't will a flawed roster of pretenders past superior opponents in the first round every year, I'm all for it :laugh:
This has to hurt their value a bit too, I mean, I'm sure they'd be excellent on the right team but having 3 "stars" that are softer than chinchilla balls isn't really a recipe for playoff success.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

The difference between the Oilers and Leafs though, is that although none of the big boys got the support they needed, at least Drai and McDavid were producing in spite of it. Matthews, Marner and Tavares crawled into a hole and did nothing.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Shaq Hyman!

Shaq Hyman.gif

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
This has to hurt their value a bit too, I mean, I'm sure they'd be excellent on the right team but having 3 "stars" that are softer than chinchilla balls isn't really a recipe for playoff success.
They've had a bad mix for a while now and the front office there just keeps doubling down with the same formula year after year, just with less depth and higher cost.

It amazes me that they are in the 6th year of Tavares's contract, and they're still spinning their wheels in the exact same way they were the day they signed him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Caught some of that Leafs radio junk because I thought the game was starting at 5. Man, just endless excuses for this team. Too much pressure. Fans expect too much. Too much history on their backs. Yadda yadda. Maybe just fold the team and start a new one then.

In any case. Just put everyone out of their misery Boston, and send Cuthbert where he belongs to save us from Singh.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Matthews was seen testing out his skating and was able to do full strides. Can’t wait to hear what pansy ass injury Matthews can’t play through.

If it ends up being a high ankle sprain that Draisaitl played through. Look out.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Caught some of that Leafs radio junk because I thought the game was starting at 5. Man, just endless excuses for this team. Too much pressure. Fans expect too much. Too much history on their backs. Yadda yadda. Maybe just fold the team and start a new one then.

In any case. Just put everyone out of their misery Boston, and send Cuthbert where he belongs to save us from Singh.
Ugh that makes me sick. Too much pressure? It’s the playoffs! Use it as fuel, don’t use it as an excuse to be a coward ffs

They’re just weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad