GDT: Around the League 2023-2024 "Off Season??!! What off season??!!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They happen "once and they move on" is because the NHL sweeps them under the rug. The Tim Peel fiasco should've launched a large scale investigation into the league but f*** me if those goofs aren't the safest thing in the planet. Hell they could've put the NHL refs in that tub that went to the Titanic and they would've came back alive.

It's so weird because this wasn't an issue at all until this year and the instant it becomes an issue the NHL just sidesteps it because it's the easy thing to do. The NHL never does anything right. It's a shit league with shit owners and a shit commissioner all with knees of gelatin.

To the bolded specifically, you're not. And there is an absolutely zero chance of that happening.

Do you honestly think every thing the players do on and off the ice is by choice? Sitting in a mall signing autographs for hours on end sounds like a lovely time, doesn't it? Or half the charity work they do? Nah, but they do it anyway.

And if the players are worried about online harassment then jeez I hope none of them have internet connections. You go to certain corners of the internet and the things they say about the players will make you reconsider how good the human race actually is.

See, the thing here is that the players are still free to have their opinions, so long as they understand that people may not like those opinions. If they're that scared of backlash from the fans then maybe sports just aren't for them. It would honestly be refreshing for some of them to have a moment of introspection rather than just hide behind whatever BS religion they support.

Players are subject to scrutiny by the media and online communities constantly. When Hyman spoke up this year about his support for Pride Nights a lot of people applauded him but there were certainly a handful that cried foul because he hurt their feelings or whatever.

Let me put it this way, the NHL is more scared of losing fans due to the "woke mind virus" than they are for actual crimes and corruption that go on behind the scenes. That to me is the sign of a league that should never be taken seriously.

If you're ok with players being outcast and vilified for their opinions or religious beliefs over an employer initiative forced upon them, then thats your cross to bear, personally I would rather not. You are still not recognizing that the Players Union is very unhappy some of its members are being trashed in the media for decisions made by their club or league outside of the players contract and has the legal right to ask it to stop, which they have done. (its been written and discussed in the media that the NHLPA would bring this up with Bettman once the new head of the union was selected)

Players are contractually obligated to do certain and so many public appearances each season including mall autograph sessions. As for charity work they chose to do that voluntarily, which is exactly what the NHL is saying and doing with team social initiatives.

As for forcing someone to attend a parade or rally, we now live in a polarized society that if you do not support an initiative then you are automatically against it and then subject to all sorts of uncalled for abuse and bullying online. That is what I dislike. We have lost all civil discussion, tolerance and respect for others opinions thanks to these lit up calculators we converse on. It's now a polarized world.

And as for the NHL I am one of the more vocal on here that the league is lost in a bush of its own making, and is always a victim of its own unintended consequences, including this one. I do not deny the league looks bad, however I understand and actually support the decision as I value the right to choose what social and political initiatives one should support and not have that thrust upon you by your employer or government.

You are free to take your time elsewhere and support another league or sport as I said. I am fed up with the league over how it conducts its business as well, but they did the only thing they could here.

Anyway I wont change your mind, you wont change mine, thanks for keeping the discussion civil, much appreciated.

Reactions: Oilhawks and K1984

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Many of those obligations are contractual, and if not they are volunteering to do it, not being forced to with the consequence of public shaming.

You're continually drawing up false equivalencies and trying to move the goalposts. We're talking about theme nights, not refereeing or autograph signings. And I agree, it would be nice if hockey media chased down the Tim Peel story with the vigor it did for not wearing a Pride jersey, but it was it is.

I'm sure you would be singing a different tune if your employer said "wear this Freedom convoy shirt or else." The second bold speaks to the crux of the entire issue - the complete inability for people to understand that others might have different opinions that you, even if you think they are wrong. It isn't your place to wish for a form of re-education for those that have different beliefs.
For 15 minutes? I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't say "Oh man this goes against my religion" or whatever nonsense excuse.

And I've said they can have a different opinion if they want, and people can speak out against it if they want. But the thing here is that it's not even asking people to change their minds, or do anything more than the absolute bare minimum in a warm-up mind you, a part of the game that almost never gets any attention whatsoever.

But see here's the other thing that annoys me about this. The majority of the players either have no problem or are quite happy to wear the jerseys. If you're part of a team, shouldn't you all get on the same page? Again, you're not being asked to conform or attend anything extra or do anything more than wear a simple jersey. And I'm sorry, but I'll never buy the religion excuse because unless every single NHL player subscribes to their own religion there are some startling inconsistencies about that.

Anyway, the league made its decision, it's another bad one, nothing new for the 15th most popular league in North America.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
For 15 minutes? I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't say "Oh man this goes against my religion" or whatever nonsense excuse.

And I've said they can have a different opinion if they want, and people can speak out against it if they want. But the thing here is that it's not even asking people to change their minds, or do anything more than the absolute bare minimum in a warm-up mind you, a part of the game that almost never gets any attention whatsoever.

But see here's the other thing that annoys me about this. The majority of the players either have no problem or are quite happy to wear the jerseys. If you're part of a team, shouldn't you all get on the same page? Again, you're not being asked to conform or attend anything extra or do anything more than wear a simple jersey. And I'm sorry, but I'll never buy the religion excuse because unless every single NHL player subscribes to their own religion there are some startling inconsistencies about that.

Anyway, the league made its decision, it's another bad one, nothing new for the 15th most popular league in North America.

Once again, there is the problem. "Nonsense" to you is sacrosanct to someone else, just the same way Pride is sacrosanct to some and "nonsense" to others.

I am as big an atheist you'll ever find and my personal opinion is that religion is silly. However, I am mature enough to recognize that others don't feel the same and it isn't up to me to police them on the belief that is important to them as long as it doesn't directly harm others.

The fundamental problem is that you and quite a few others have lost perspective of this, so now we are in a place where anyone that has different perspectives is bad and anyone that follows the chosen path is good. There is much, much more grey area here, but these issues are now black and white, you're either right or wrong and that is unfortunate.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Looks like Hall may be traded to the Blackhawks

Tough for the guy. 13 years and only made the 2nd round once as a 1OA pick. 2 years left on his deal and he's off to a franchise that burned everything to the ground last off season.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Man serious Hall trade flashbacks today, but this time the trade is one for none lolol

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Although nobody really cares about the NHL awards, the funniest part of the night so far has been that someone in the PHWA gave Leon Draisaitl a 1st place Lady Byng vote.

I love the guy, but he is not sportsmanlike, he is a menace out there.

That kind of shit should be audited. If you that out to lunch you should lose your voting privileges. Like how Ovechkin was first team all-star at RW and LW that one year. 😂

This kind of shit is why NHL awards have minimal credibility.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Once again, there is the problem. "Nonsense" to you is sacrosanct to someone else, just the same way Pride is sacrosanct to some and "nonsense" to others.

I am as big an atheist you'll ever find and my personal opinion is that religion is silly. However, I am mature enough to recognize that others don't feel the same and it isn't up to me to police them on the belief that is important to them as long as it doesn't directly harm others.

The fundamental problem is that you and quite a few others have lost perspective of this, so now we are in a place where anyone that has different perspectives is bad and anyone that follows the chosen path is good. There is much, much more grey area here, but these issues are now black and white, you're either right or wrong and that is unfortunate.
Great post. Too many people out there believe in nothing but absolutes these days. It's either my way or the highway.

Reactions: BlackDogg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Oh my god Seravalli’s latest appearance on SN is music to people that hate the Flame’s ears. Cole’s notes:

- “Rolling out the red carpet” for Lindholm to make him “the cornerstone of the Flames” going forward

- Flames feel they don’t have to trade anyone. They are under contract after all!

- Lindholm is balancing getting paid an obscene number vs. knowing he’s going to play for a dog shit team for the rest of his career

- Flames entertaining deals on everyone except (!) Lindholm hahaha

Those f***ing morons really are going to hitch their next 8 years to a bunch of 30 year old second liners making obscene money. It’s amazing.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Oh my god Seravalli’s latest appearance on SN is music to people that hate the Flame’s ears. Cole’s notes:

- “Rolling out the red carpet” for Lindholm to make him “the cornerstone of the Flames” going forward

- Flames feel they don’t have to trade anyone. They are under contract after all!

- Lindholm is balancing getting paid an obscene number vs. knowing he’s going to play for a dog shit team for the rest of his career

- Flames entertaining deals on everyone except (!) Lindholm hahaha

Those f***ing morons really are going to hitch their next 8 years to a bunch of 30 year old second liners making obscene money. It’s amazing.
Here's a fun fact.

Both Monahan and Lindholm were taken in the 2013 draft. Monahan is only 34 pts behind Lindholm in his career despite playing less games and being a shell of himself due to injury.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Here's a fun fact.

Both Monahan and Lindholm were taken in the 2013 draft. Monahan is only 34 pts in his career despite playing less games and being a shell of himself due to injury.
Wonder if the Flames will have to give a team a first to take Lindholm as well after they sign him to a 9x8 deal that blows up in their face a year from now.

Reactions: joestevens29

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If Lindholm is money motivated he couldn't possibly find himself in a better position. Those idiots will give him whatever he wants just to they can hope to stay at least mediocre.

Reactions: joestevens29

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Nhl awards are like voting for prom Queen

FzmF-YLXsAAMY1Y.jpeg.jpg

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

I am an atheist but I have great respect for people with religious beliefs. I know several people who believe in God and they're all awesome people with good values.

The fact that some interpretations of religion lead people to be against homosexuality is sad, but I think in this case it's mostly about naivety and misguidedness (there's nothing about it in the bible).

What I don't like is this disingenuous bigotry coming from people trying to gate inclusivity of different sexual orientations as being "politics". It's not. It's some twisted sort of ideology perhaps, but it is not politics.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If you're ok with players being outcast and vilified for their opinions or religious beliefs over an employer initiative forced upon them, then thats your cross to bear, personally I would rather not. You are still not recognizing that the Players Union is very unhappy some of its members are being trashed in the media for decisions made by their club or league outside of the players contract and has the legal right to ask it to stop, which they have done. (its been written and discussed in the media that the NHLPA would bring this up with Bettman once the new head of the union was selected)

Players are contractually obligated to do certain and so many public appearances each season including mall autograph sessions. As for charity work they chose to do that voluntarily, which is exactly what the NHL is saying and doing with team social initiatives.

As for forcing someone to attend a parade or rally, we now live in a polarized society that if you do not support an initiative then you are automatically against it and then subject to all sorts of uncalled for abuse and bullying online. That is what I dislike. We have lost all civil discussion, tolerance and respect for others opinions thanks to these lit up calculators we converse on. It's now a polarized world.

And as for the NHL I am one of the more vocal on here that the league is lost in a bush of its own making, and is always a victim of its own unintended consequences, including this one. I do not deny the league looks bad, however I understand and actually support the decision as I value the right to choose what social and political initiatives one should support and not have that thrust upon you by your employer or government.

You are free to take your time elsewhere and support another league or sport as I said. I am fed up with the league over how it conducts its business as well, but they did the only thing they could here.

Anyway I wont change your mind, you wont change mine, thanks for keeping the discussion civil, much appreciated.
You have created this narrative that the NHLPA was not only onside with this but was a good part of why it happened without any evidence to support that. Yet we have players like Stamkos, McDavid and Tkachuck obviously lamenting the decision. In fact they seemed to be caught off-guard by the announcement. Allan Walsh called the decision "gutless". There is no bigger cheerleader for the NHLPA than Allan Walsh. if Octagon's players had wanted this do you really think he would have said that. That agency represents 66 players under contract to the NHL. In fact this Forbes article pretty much captures the nature of the reaction to the "business decision".

I actually agree with you that individuals and corporations have a right to choose what they do or do not support. But if you are a consumer driven company you also need to be prepared to be criticized by those that consume your product if they disagree with your decision. That said I don't support personal attacks against players with differing opinions. Though if they choose to use there celebrity to make overt statements in support of discriminatory behaviour such as was the case with Bass, they need to be prepared for the consequences. To be clear, I do not believe that this was the case with any of the seven NHL players who chose not to wear the jerseys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad