Around the League - 2022-23 Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Boston went all-in at the 2023 NHL Trade Deadline, acquiring defenseman Dmitry Orlov and right-wing Garnet Hathaway from the Washington Capitals in addition to right-wing Tyler Bertuzzi from the Detroit Red Wings. They do not have any first-round picks in the NHL Draft in both of the next two years or any seconds over the next three.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The Bruins did their good work early and can now go home and relax. Going to be a crazy series between Toronto and Florida. You guys play crazy and throw haymakers.

Will there be much relaxation though?

Ottawa, Buffalo and Detroit knocking at the door.

Bergeron probably just played his last game and so did Krejci.

They have a 4.5 million dollar cap penalty next year.

2023: 3rd, 4th, 5th and two 7ths.
2024: 4th, 5th and 6th.

We of all teams have their 1st - I’d happily attach it to dump Murray for a pick 8-10 spots lower.

Not gonna be able to pay Bertuzzi and Orlov and very possibly both, because Swayman needs a new deal that will start with a 5. He has arbitration and just posted a 24-6-4, 2.27 .920 with 4 shutouts and is 24; arbitrator goes low you piss him off and he asks out. Arbitrator goes high and you can’t match.

Assuming a cap of 84 they have about 70 locked down between 6 forwards, 5 D and one goalie. Did Pasta and Mac get ‘the talk’ from Marchand about how they should take 70% what they’re worth and just laugh at him? Because that’s what it looks like.

Can’t-miss prospects? None - could have had Barzal-Connor-Chabot (Konecny, Boeser, Eriksson Ek…) or one of Cernak, Hintz or Dunn with the Carlo pick.

And this isn’t even the worst choke job they’ve had in the last decade - sure they got a cup 12 years ago but Google nhl 6/24/2013, or better yet YouTube it, and they were favorites against the Blues.

It’s going to be a long, bad summer for them. About the only saving grace is a strong culture and systems but I don’t see them magicing their way to 120+ points again, and how much of that culture was Bergeron?

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Boston went all-in at the 2023 NHL Trade Deadline, acquiring defenseman Dmitry Orlov and right-wing Garnet Hathaway from the Washington Capitals in addition to right-wing Tyler Bertuzzi from the Detroit Red Wings. They do not have any first-round picks in the NHL Draft in both of the next two years or any seconds over the next three.
Wow. If Bergeron and Krejci retire and them being tight against the cap, they are in serious trouble

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Will there be much relaxation though?

Ottawa, Buffalo and Detroit knocking at the door.

Bergeron probably just played his last game and so did Krejci.

They have a 4.5 million dollar cap penalty next year.

2023: 3rd, 4th, 5th and two 7ths.
2024: 4th, 5th and 6th.

Not gonna be able to pay Bertuzzi and Orlov and very possibly both, because Swayman needs a new deal that will start with a 5.

Assuming a cap of 84 they have about 70 locked down between 6 forwards, 5 D and one goalie. Did Pasta and Mac get ‘the talk’ from Marchand about how they should take 70% what they’re worth and just laugh at him? Because that’s what it looks like.

Can’t-miss prospects? None - could have had Barzal-Connor-Chabot (Konecny, Boeser, Eriksson Ek…) or one of Cernak, Hintz or Dunn with the Carlo pick.

And this isn’t even the worst choke job they’ve had in the last decade - sure they got a cup 12 years ago but Google nhl 6/24/2013, or better yet YouTube it.

It’s going to be a long, bad summer for them. About the only saving grace is a strong culture and systems but I don’t see them magicing their way to 120+ points again.

Well, if all goes well, nobody will be thinking about Boston for quite some time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wow. If Bergeron and Krejci retire and them being tight against the cap, they are in serious trouble

Swayman is also an RFA so their goalie tandem becomes more expensive, and Pastrnak moves into team-unfriendly money almost doubling his salary.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Swayman is also an RFA so their goalie tandem becomes more expensive, and Pastrnak moves into team-unfriendly money almost doubling his salary.
And for a moment, things don't look so bad over here in Leafland

Why is Seattle so good on the road?

20-17-4 at home (1-2 in this series)
26-11-4 on the road (might be 3-1 in this series)
What a crazy first round

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs have Boston's first round pick.

It's going to be 24th overall because of that loss. Best case scenario for the Leafs - it's actually lower than our own first round pick would have been.

Reactions: Jojalu

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I just spent a few minutes reading some of Boston's PGT, it's about what you'd expect I guess. Still processing this, Boston was so dominant all year long, wasn't it like half a season or more until they lost in regulation or something like that? This was the most interesting NHL regular season story since I don't even know when, I was waiting with great interest to see how they fared in the playoffs and what happened? Up 3-1 against FLA, then 3-3, they come back from down 2-0 to take a 3-2 lead into the final minute and now ... it's all over for them, just wow! I'm reminded of lyrics from the chorus of an incredible song by the immortal Bob Dylan:

How does it feel, how does it feel?
To be on your own, with no direction home
Like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone
Bob Dylan

Here lies one of the greatest regular season teams of all-time, the Boston Bruins. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad