Around the League 2020/2021 Thread | Stanley Cup Final Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I am cheering for the habs to lose but this is like the third time this playoffs people have said these things. Can we just hold on until like at least the third game?

Reactions: Jyrki21 and geebaan

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I was lucky. Lack of sleep last night caught up to me - dozed off during the 1st intermission and just woke up. Hope this was a one-off and the Habs come back strong.

Reactions: Ozone

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I was lucky. Lack of sleep last night caught up to me - dozed off during the 1st intermission and just woke up. Hope this was a one-off and the Habs come back strong.
200.gif

Let's hope they wake up next game as well.. :)
Or we need to wake them up like this:
wHzqfO4.gif

Reactions: Canuckle1970

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tampa is just on another level. Montreal will likely play better next game but I just don’t see them winning the series. I know they’ve come back from adversity before but this Lightning team is something else. Stacked on every line, a great D and a top goalie. That power play with Kuch and Stamkos set up for one timers on either side and Point as well is lethal.
Hopefully the next game is more competitive. I’d like to see a good series and like both teams.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Ah who knows. Vegas beat the Habs 4 -1 in game 1 of that series, and some people were saying that Vegas is just too strong, so we'll see. That being said, I think Tampa's got this.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
One thing I don’t mind about TB winning again is that they are truly a homegrown team. They’ve earned this shit and done it all right.

Drafted: Vasi, Hedman, Stamkos, Point, Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Joseph, Colton, Corelli, Sergachev (may as well count)

And then they signed and developed Gourde. Made some slick trade additions along the way to plug the holes.

I feel like this is pretty insane or maybe it’s regular for cup winners to have this amount of homegrown talent, but this feels a bit abnormal. Am I wrong there?

Other than Vasi Hedman Stamkos, all those other drafted players came in the 3rd round or later. How is that even possible?

May 31, 2006
One thing I don’t mind about TB winning again is that they are truly a homegrown team. They’ve earned this shit and done it all right.

Drafted: Vasi, Hedman, Stamkos, Point, Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Joseph, Colton, Corelli, Sergachev (may as well count)

And then they signed and developed Gourde. Made some slick trade additions along the way to plug the holes.

I feel like this is pretty insane or maybe it’s regular for cup winners to have this amount of homegrown talent, but this feels a bit abnormal. Am I wrong there?

Other than Vasi Hedman Stamkos, all those other drafted players came in the 3rd round or later. How is that even possible?
It's crazy cause in 2015 everyone was already calling the Lightning a model franchise after they dominated the league and nearly won the cup with homegrown talent... and this was when Point/Sergachev/Cirelli were not even on the map yet (still in junior or not even drafted).

And last year after winning the cup, they had four players drafted in the top 100 when we only drafted one.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well RHN is off the market, he's someone I didn't really want to see the Canucks pursue and undoubtedly overpay.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well RHN is off the market, he's someone I didn't really want to see the Canucks pursue and undoubtedly overpay.

8 yrs, 41 mil. 5.125 mil cap hit.

Waaay too long of term. That said, his cap hit comes down and should be fine for the first half of that deal. The back half of the deal could be fine as well if the cap goes up a good amount.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
The RNH signing is a crazy deal. Oilers get the short term benefit of a low AAV—but RNH profiles to me as they type of player that will have a pretty sudden decline.

They must hope that if he does decline by the 2nd half of that contract that the salary cap has increased by so much that it doesn’t really matter.

Thought exercise for everyone: how would you have felt if the Canucks had signed Toffoli at his $4.25m cap hit for 8 years? Both RNH and Toffoli were the same age when they signed their UFA deals.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
8 yrs, 41 mil. 5.125 mil cap hit.

Waaay too long of term. That said, his cap hit comes down and should be fine for the first half of that deal. The back half of the deal could be fine as well if the cap goes up a good amount.
Term and cap hit go hand in hand. Not getting a low cap hit for that short a term. Plus that cap hit comes with a full nmc.

that’s going to be the structure of Bo’s next deal on an 8 year term.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Term and cap hit go hand in hand. Not getting a low cap hit for that short a term. Plus that cap hit comes with a full nmc.

that’s going to be the structure of Bo’s next deal on an 8 year term.

I don’t think a winger that plays 70% of his ice time with Connor McDavid is going to be the comparable for a top-six center who spends most of his ice time being matched-up against top lines.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t think a winger that plays 70% of his ice time with Connor McDavid is going to be the comparable for a top-six center who spends most of his ice time being matched-up against top lines.
Meant the term 8 year term plus nmc and or trade protection Bo would want on his next deal. He like Nuge will be ufa at 28. His next deal at max term would go til he is 36.
AAV will be figure out later. But I expect to be looking at max term with full trade and movement protection for Bo.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tampa could easily be working on their 4th Cup with this core if things had broken better for them and they’d made a couple of minor adjustments. It’s truly remarkable what Tampa’s management, including Yzerman, have built in the cap era.
There will be some cap casualties this off season but if they play it smart they’ll get back some young cheap players and draft picks and keep the window open for a long time. Just a first class management group that should be a model for every organization.

Reactions: vanuck

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
you gotta feel for jonathan drouin here

whatever mental health stuff he’s going through, this finals isn’t going to help with that

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if Drouin/Montreal do the mutual contract termination thing.
How many mutual contract terminations have there been in the nhl?

lower level guys like Peter Schaefer when he didn’t make the Canucks on his second go around asked for his release and the team gave it to him. But, that’s a very different situation than Drouin here.

Kovy had left to the KHL as did Ship when he was sent down to the A and didn’t want to report.

Berglund left Buffalo is the only instance that is comparable. So it’s very uncommon to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad