Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Ultimately, Tampa is in our conference, and there's a good chance that our hopes of winning another Cup will go through them. So I don't want to do them any favors in their quest to turn into a super team. So they more or less have to give us Tyler Johnson and I might just as well take our chances with McLeod. And to take Callahan, they're giving us their best prospect.

I agree on Johnson, I'm not in love with him. But Callahan is not going to get us their best prospect. 6m for 2 more years. I realize they're desperate, but they could just buy him out

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Bettman's being inducted? That's... strange.

Hall of Shame would have been better.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
if it wasnt for Bettman we likely dont have a team in Jersey anymore
Umm... what?

As far as I know he was helping to facilitate our move to Nashville. It's one of the reasons he was booed to badly when we won the cup in 95.

I wonder if they'll boo him at the induction. Classless, but he's kind of used to it and seems to almost like it :)

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Bettman get's booed a ton, but he's just the ugly side of the sport that's a necessary "evil" to keep the show running - it's not a charity, after all. it's a business.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Umm... what?

As far as I know he was helping to facilitate our move to Nashville. It's one of the reasons he was booed to badly when we won the cup in 95.

I wonder if they'll boo him at the induction. Classless, but he's kind of used to it and seems to almost like it :)
He was also a major reason we got the help we needed with the Vanderbeek situation as well as the arena negotiations with Lou back in the Continental days, pre-Prudential IIRC

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He was also a major reason we got the help we needed with the Vanderbeek situation as well as the arena negotiations with Lou back in the Continental days, pre-Prudential IIRC
That would be the job of any comissioner, don't you think?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
That would be the job of any comissioner, don't you think?
sure, but all the previous people in his position were lauded for the work they did. for years of notable service,

Frank Calder from 1917-1943 (trophy named after him, hall of fame as a BUILDER)

Clarence Campbell - '46-'77 - same as above.

Bettman gets a lot of grief, but he's been doing this since '93. 25 years is quite a long time. is it premature to induct him? maybe. but he's helped shape the NHL today, aka BUILD it. Rule changes, ref systems, realignments, etc. He's still a builder.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
sure, but all the previous people in his position were lauded for the work they did. for years of notable service,

Frank Calder from 1917-1943 (trophy named after him, hall of fame as a BUILDER)

Clarence Campbell - '46-'77 - same as above.

Bettman gets a lot of grief, but he's been doing this since '93. 25 years is quite a long time. is it premature to induct him? maybe. but he's helped shape the NHL today, aka BUILD it. Rule changes, ref systems, realignments, etc. He's still a builder.
Just curious how many of his predecessors were inducted while they were still active.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Just curious how many of his predecessors were inducted while they were still active.
That is the weird part for most. Im fine with it only because id rather the man realize he is appreciated by the hockey community and get to enjoy that before any unfortunate and unforeseen passing.

Not saying Bettman isnt in good health but in the end as long as he gets to enjoy it, I dont mind if he got it this year or ten years after he retired

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Bettman is a figurehead for the owners for the most part. The league has grown an incredible amount under him, he deserves this.

Also, Tampa's cap situation is interesting. Especially since they still have to meet with Tavares, they have to be comfortable moving some salary around. Give me Johnson, Shero!!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
In his 25 years as NHL commissioner, Gary Bettman has been the boss, the villain and many things in between | The Star

It's a long read, but worth it. I actually did a report on the league for my MBA and it's quite impressive what it's grown to since Bettman took over. This summary kind of says it all:

Bettman has been commissioner of the National Hockey League for 25 years. In that time:
  • A league with 24 teams has grown to 31;
  • A league generating about $400 million of revenue annually pockets close to $5 billion;
  • A league without a television deal in the United States that guaranteed every playoff game was available now has one;
  • The average salary of a player has risen from $370,000 US to $3.2 million.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
That is the weird part for most. Im fine with it only because id rather the man realize he is appreciated by the hockey community and get to enjoy that before any unfortunate and unforeseen passing.

Not saying Bettman isnt in good health but in the end as long as he gets to enjoy it, I dont mind if he got it this year or ten years after he retired

I don't think he is. He shakes all the time

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
To the whole "league has grown" argument: you really believe that a sports league, in this day and age, would not grow, regardless of commissioner?

Frankly, hockey has so many advantages relative to other sports that it should have grown far more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad