Armchair GMs: What moves would you make to maximize the roster?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
That's my position exactly. And because of our surplus of quality assets, I don't mind overpaying to get it done either.
I feel the same way, its probably the only way we are going to get it done anyways. Big buff might be our best and only shot on the market, its risky because we might lose him for nothing, and if he did resign, with his size and skating his contract could be an anchor in its final years. Hed come cheaper because hes a ufa though. Id try it if i was kenny. We so need some size and toughness as well.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I feel the same way, its probably the only way we are going to get it done anyways. Big buff might be our best and only shot on the market, its risky because we might lose him for nothing, and if he did resign, with his size and skating his contract could be an anchor in its final years. Hed come cheaper because hes a ufa though. Id try it if i was kenny. We so need some size and toughness as well.

Buff is my preferred target too. Would prefer say Shattenkirk but that's less realistic and far more expensive. That said, Buff is great too and he would bring many dimensions that even Shattenkirk wouldn't.

And I'm not sure Byfuglien is going to take a nosedive, especially before say 36 or 37. The guy is huge, but he's just a ridiculously natural athlete. The guy was playing in the NHL at nearly 300 pounds at one time. Only a freak of nature could accomplish that. Now that he's trimmed down he's very mobile. Especially relative to his size. I could see something like his knees going but that's the type of thing you can LTIR someone for.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Buff is my preferred target too. Would prefer say Shattenkirk but that's less realistic and far more expensive. That said, Buff is great too and he would bring many dimensions that even Shattenkirk wouldn't.

And I'm not sure Byfuglien is going to take a nosedive, especially before say 36 or 37. The guy is huge, but he's just a ridiculously natural athlete. The guy was playing in the NHL at nearly 300 pounds at one time. Only a freak of nature could accomplish that. Now that he's trimmed down he's very mobile. Especially relative to his size. I could see something like his knees going but that's the type of thing you can LTIR someone for.

Shattenkirk is a much better dman in the playoffs. And he wouldn't be that much more expensive.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Shattenkirk is a much better dman in the playoffs. And he wouldn't be that much more expensive.

Absoloutely he would, Shattenkirk is under contract from a team less inclined to trade him. Him Buff is moved, it is because Winnipeg is trying to move him to get value from his expiring contract.

Also, Buff is fine in the playoffs, he just rarely makes the playoffs anymore because he's been in Atlanta/Winnipeg for half a decade.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
@the above posts

I'd love shattenkirk and saw him for the last year as an ideal target. I know St. Louis kind of needs him but at the same time need a number one center.
Perhaps a trade of sheahan, svechnikov, and a pick might get it done? Riley isn't a number one center but could soon be a number 2, and it at least gives the blues strength at the position until svechnikov develops to maybe that number one. We'd still need to free up salary and lose a dman.

What would it take for buff? What could we give up? Helm(free agent-plus he's from winnipeg), a first,
Smith/quincey and or Tyler bertuzzi?

I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'd bring up aa to take helms opened up spot.

I think the wings need to make a move now, or soon. I don't like what I see as far as possession goes, and now the leafs are a dramatically better possession team. Makes you think blahs better make some adjustments. I wish timewise we could have snagged McClellan.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Moving back to cheaper options, the internet rumors say Calgary is shopping Russell and Wideman for 2nd line scoring help. Do you guys know a team with a glut of middle line guys they could trade to boost the blueline?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Moving back to cheaper options, the internet rumors say Calgary is shopping Russell and Wideman for 2nd line scoring help. Do you guys know a team with a glut of middle line guys they could trade to boost the blueline?

Unless there's some kind of plan to move Kindl and Smith, I just don't see room for a #4-5 dman. We've got enough of those. Need a top 2, 3 at the very worst.

I'd love either if it meant taking a roster spot from the above two, just don't see it happening.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Unless there's some kind of plan to move Kindl and Smith, I just don't see room for a #4-5 dman. We've got enough of those. Need a top 2, 3 at the very worst.

I'd love either if it meant taking a roster spot from the above two, just don't see it happening.

Rusell or Wideman would get ice over the two guys you listed. Without any doubt. Not even ballpark if it's me. They are the top 2 players in ice time for the Flames, although that team has struggled a lot lately. Thus likely why they are even considering moving pieces from a deep blueline. They are also the top 2 penalty killers on the roster and log 2 minutes of powerplay time a night.

It's not Shattenkirk or Buff, but the price is also going to be significantly less and more in the realm of what Holland has shown he'd be comfortable moving. I'd like to see some tire kicking on this one.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Pulkkinen+Kindl for Wideman.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Doesn't help us cap wise, It would have to be salary for salary. Wideman makes $5.25 million and Pulkkinen+Kindl combined around $3.1 million might have to add another piece to even it out.

There's wiggle room if you think Franzen is going to spend most of his days on IR.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I dunno if I would trade Tatar or Nyquist for wideman.. Hes a bit too old if you ask me.

Id def try to get wideman tho. Guy is better then Ericsson and whoever is on the bottom pair

Maybe better then Danny d as well but i havent seen him that much so i cant say. He seems to be the opposite of Danny D, Above aveage in the O zone, and then below average in the D zone judging by stats

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Rusell or Wideman would get ice over the two guys you listed. Without any doubt. Not even ballpark if it's me. They are the top 2 players in ice time for the Flames, although that team has struggled a lot lately. Thus likely why they are even considering moving pieces from a deep blueline. They are also the top 2 penalty killers on the roster and log 2 minutes of powerplay time a night.

It's not Shattenkirk or Buff, but the price is also going to be significantly less and more in the realm of what Holland has shown he'd be comfortable moving. I'd like to see some tire kicking on this one.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Which then begs the question, what do we do with Smith and Kindl? Not enough roster space especially when Green and Quincey return. Waive them? But then we're stuck with their cap hits above a certain amount ($900,000 or something?).

Just think we can kill two birds with one stone by going after the big fish. Gets us the top pair we need, and pushes basically everyone but Kronwall 1 spot down on the depth chart. Ericsson as a #5 is palatable, hell he may even thrive facing easier competition, but as a #2 he's dragging the D down (he's not alone though).

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Shea Theodore seems ready to play in the NHL. Would certainly be able to play on powerplay now but obviously would come with a few defensive lapses until he got comfortable. I think he wouldn't be any worse than a few of your D defensively and would come with the ability to make great passes up ice amd contribute offensivly. It wouldnt be unrealistic for him to end up on 2nd pair with Dekeyser before playoff time. A solution that wouldn't fix everything this year but surely improve the current situation and be a long term solution. Anaheim has Lindholm, Fowler and Vatanan who are young going forward. They certainly need help on their 2nd/3rd line. They are off to a bad start and have some urgency to improve which would make them more likely to consider moving a piece they don't need at the moment for assets to help the team now. Theodore is as sure as it gets for a D yet to play in the NHL but at the same time he hasn't played so his price tag wouldn't exactly be insane. Ducks also have Mountour as a D prospect who is tearing it up. I'm fairly certain they would entertain an offer for Theodore and we got the guys it would take to get it done. Sheahan and a 1st or Pulk and a 1st would likely get it done. Helm and Mantha could also get it done. They get Helm to help this season and a blue chip prospect in Mantha in exchange for a blue chip in Theodore. One of those offers would likely be close.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I would trade Smith (2.75M) + Jurco (0.9M) for Russell (2.6M) and a small +.

I think the value is fair.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
read players/coach interview that they need to manage the puck better. totally agree. puck has to be held by our team or protected by our team way better. However a big part of the reason why wings aren't managing the puck is due to the other team.

if we are going to fix some of the mess we are in through roster change, we need someone who can protect the puck better. if we are going to get D man, I dont think Wideman is really the answer. it's not in offensive zone we have problem with our D. It's that the other teams are winning puck more than they should in our zone. I'm not totally familiar with Wideman's game but I didnt think he was that kind of player.

Big Buff would definitely help in that regard. would take off physical pressure off Kronwall. Now that I think about it, we kinda missed the boat on Mantha for Mayers.. but still hoping Mantha realizes his potential.

I would like to give bit more time for teams to prove they can do it themselves because I think they are capable minus few individuals.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Big Buff would definitely help in that regard. would take off physical pressure off Kronwall. Now that I think about it, we kinda missed the boat on Mantha for Mayers.. but still hoping Mantha realizes his potential.

Yep, could have easily upgraded this defense with Bogosian and Myers. Holland was just asleep as the wheel. Too bad he didn't know anything about the Bruins trading Dougie Hamilton. It was obvious they were in cap hell. While they likely don't make that trade within the division it is your job to be aware of the players who are currently on the market. If they can address a need - Hamilton surely does - then you need to see what it would take to get him.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I just saw on Spectors site about will Detroit pursue Byfuglien at the trade deadline. And Buccigross doesn't think that Holland will pursue Byfuglien just because the cost of resigning him could be around $7 million per long term. He thinks that Detroit could go to a cheap alternative would be curious who that could be but any ways he doesn't feel that Holland will go after Byfuglien. I guess depending on where we are in the standings at the trade deadline on time will tell.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I just saw on Spectors site about will Detroit pursue Byfuglien at the trade deadline. And Buccigross doesn't think that Holland will pursue Byfuglien just because the cost of resigning him could be around $7 million per long term. He thinks that Detroit could go to a cheap alternative would be curious who that could be but any ways he doesn't feel that Holland will go after Byfuglien. I guess depending on where we are in the standings at the trade deadline on time will tell.

If I were to bet, I would bet on Holland not making a trade for Buff as well. It kinda seems like a 'win-now' trades and we need as much 'win-later' pieces going forward as well.

plus Big Buff will be very costly and there will be quite a few other teams who will be looking to acquire him. I'm not sure if it is even going to worth it in first place.

Like I sad, we still got times to turn around this ship.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Yep, could have easily upgraded this defense with Bogosian and Myers. Holland was just asleep as the wheel. Too bad he didn't know anything about the Bruins trading Dougie Hamilton. It was obvious they were in cap hell. While they likely don't make that trade within the division it is your job to be aware of the players who are currently on the market. If they can address a need - Hamilton surely does - then you need to see what it would take to get him.

It is, after all, as easy to trade players in real life as it is in NHL 16. If he's available to you, that means you definitely get him.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Shea Theodore seems ready to play in the NHL. Would certainly be able to play on powerplay now but obviously would come with a few defensive lapses until he got comfortable. I think he wouldn't be any worse than a few of your D defensively and would come with the ability to make great passes up ice amd contribute offensivly. It wouldnt be unrealistic for him to end up on 2nd pair with Dekeyser before playoff time. A solution that wouldn't fix everything this year but surely improve the current situation and be a long term solution. Anaheim has Lindholm, Fowler and Vatanan who are young going forward. They certainly need help on their 2nd/3rd line. They are off to a bad start and have some urgency to improve which would make them more likely to consider moving a piece they don't need at the moment for assets to help the team now. Theodore is as sure as it gets for a D yet to play in the NHL but at the same time he hasn't played so his price tag wouldn't exactly be insane. Ducks also have Mountour as a D prospect who is tearing it up. I'm fairly certain they would entertain an offer for Theodore and we got the guys it would take to get it done. Sheahan and a 1st or Pulk and a 1st would likely get it done. Helm and Mantha could also get it done. They get Helm to help this season and a blue chip prospect in Mantha in exchange for a blue chip in Theodore. One of those offers would likely be close.

I've seen a lot of Ducks fans stating that Vatanen would be the one to go because he is due a raise and keeping Theodore would be cost effective.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If I were to bet, I would bet on Holland not making a trade for Buff as well. It kinda seems like a 'win-now' trades and we need as much 'win-later' pieces going forward as well.

plus Big Buff will be very costly and there will be quite a few other teams who will be looking to acquire him. I'm not sure if it is even going to worth it in first place.

Like I sad, we still got times to turn around this ship.

Honestly if he becomes available and I wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks move him for some forward help would be Sami Vatanen I could see Holland making a move for him. If they do.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

So let me get this straight. The Jets are pretty much in the running for the top spot in the West and Buff is their top scoring d-man. With this clearly being the case they are going to trade him at the trade deadline rather than use him to give their team the best shot at making a nice playoff run? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

If Vatanen is available he's a guy who makes more sense to me. This defense has zero puck movers right now. Add a healthy Green to the mix as well as Vatanen and you possibly start to look like a puck possession team once again. Sure he's a munchkin but we have plenty of lumbering defensive d-men on the squad. We need skill and if Vatanen is available he is a large upgrade over what we currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad