Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't see the need to bring back Hamonic. We've tried the idea of $3million 3rd pairing guys thrice now and it just hamstrings our ability to improve our forwards for a minimal gain in defense.

I think a team's bottom 3 Dmen should be a mixture of ELC guys and cheap vets
Agreed, the same should apply for forwards 9-13.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Dack

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't see the need to bring back Hamonic. We've tried the idea of $3million 3rd pairing guys thrice now and it just hamstrings our ability to improve our forwards for a minimal gain in defense.

I think a team's bottom 3 Dmen should be a mixture of ELC guys and cheap vets

I don't disagree with this. 3x3 and 3.5x3 deals being seriously problematic for us. 3x3 is a dangerous contract IMO as I think Hammer would consider it to stay in Calgary and Treliving would consider as a safety net.

I am unsure of my thoughts on retaining Hamonic. Great guy... but I agree we might be better off rolling the dice on youngsters and/or aiming for vets on short term deals.

Agreed, the same should apply for forwards 9-13.

Sorta agree. I don't mind our 4C being a vet who can swing to wing to insulate be 13th guy and guide the youngsters. But yeah, in general, running youngsters in the 9-12 is ideal.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Why do we want to trade Gaudreau early when were in win now mode in the first place. So frustrating seeing people wanting to sign Hall and then trade Gaudreau for definite near term downgrades. We should be adding a player like Hall and keeping Gaudreau for at least one more year if he won't resign. We have star D prospects that can replace Brodie and Hamonic so the cap works too.

Swapping Gaudreau for Hall and prospects and quantity seems like a step down.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Why do we want to trade Gaudreau early when were in win now mode in the first place. So frustrating seeing people wanting to sign Hall and then trade Gaudreau for definite near term downgrades. We should be adding a player like Hall and keeping Gaudreau for at least one more year if he won't resign. We have star D prospects that can replace Brodie and Hamonic so the cap works too.

Swapping Gaudreau for Hall and prospects and quantity seems like a step down.

Because it keeps going from, "What if Gaudreau wants to be closer to home to be with his family" (ie: His dad had some health scares over the years)

to

"I'm breaking up with you before you can break up with me!!!!!"

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Monahan, Bennett + 2020 1st(15th OA ish) for Strome, Saad, Nylander + 2020 1st(9th OA ish)

Gaudreau-Strome-Saad
Mangiapane-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Dube-Backlund-Nylander

Reactions: GumbyCan2

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Why...

Monahan >>> Strome

Rather sign Hall with Saad's cap (+ a little more)

Nylander is only a little better than Bennett

We move up 6 spots... Whoop-dee-doo. That lineup doesn't make our team better. Plus, I don't see Chicago moving their pick as I think they are going to be the ones that are going to draft Askarov.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Keep him for one more year.

You lose the Gaudreau trade every time. People thinking he is going to bring in big value are out to lunch. These players that are pending super star ufas who are clearly leaving always get spare parts and picks in return.

1 more season of Gaudreau on the same team as Hall potentially, is worth more than the extra 2nd round pick you might get for trading him a year early.

Also, they have hospitals here. His gf might be from his home town but maybe she's jaded by how her country acted during the pandemic?

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Keep him for one more year.

You lose the Gaudreau trade every time. People thinking he is going to bring in big value are out to lunch. These players that are pending super star ufas who are clearly leaving always get spare parts and picks in return.

1 more season of Gaudreau on the same team as Hall potentially, is worth more than the extra 2nd round pick you might get for trading him a year early.

Also, they have hospitals here. His gf might be from his home town but maybe she's jaded by how her country acted during the pandemic?

Extra second lmao. Look at the difference in the Blake Coleman and Hall trades this past season for an easy example of how wrong you are about the value difference of contracts. Expiring contracts are not worth much, players locked up for multiple years at relative value contracts are worth A lot more than they probably should be. Gaudreau this offseason falls into the latter category.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Extra second lmao. Look at the difference in the Blake Coleman and Hall trades this past season for an easy example of how wrong you are about the value difference of contracts. Expiring contracts are not worth much, players locked up for multiple years at relative value contracts are worth A lot more than they probably should be. Gaudreau this offseason falls into the latter category.

Depends on if ownership is willing to retain too.

If we can ship Johnny at 50% to say someone like Boston? They are frothing at the mouth to make a deal happen.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Depends on if ownership is willing to retain too.

If we can ship Johnny at 50% to say someone like Boston? They are frothing at the mouth to make a deal happen.

Boston has next to nothing avaliable that I'd actually want. That's part of the problem, the teams who would pay up for him have few assets and the teams that have the assets we want are rebuilding.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Also if Gaudreau is traded this offseason, I hope Monahan goes in a different trade. I'd like to capitalize at the pinnacle of his value.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary

Who is going to give up high calibre, win now players for Gaudreau? You never win trades for 100 point players.

Other teams are going to want to do what we should do and that is build a team where Gaudreau is part of an ensemble all star cast, like we would be with Hall and him. That's the sign of a contender . Trading Gaudreau and signing Hall makes us worse during our cup window.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Boston has next to nothing avaliable that I'd actually want. That's part of the problem, the teams who would pay up for him have few assets and the teams that have the assets we want are rebuilding.

Depends on what we're after. A package around Debrusk? Could make some sense. Pure futures? Less so.

Boston's an interesting one. They might have a legit shot at re-signing him, they're contenders now, and Krecji's big deal ends when Gaudreau's does so they'd have space in theory.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Depends on what we're after. A package around Debrusk? Could make some sense. Pure futures? Less so.

Boston's an interesting one. They might have a legit shot at re-signing him, they're contenders now, and Krecji's big deal ends when Gaudreau's does so they'd have space in theory.

Debrusk would have to be included but what else? I quite like Debrusk but he's a 2nd line winger and I don't see him improving much, any 1st they give us is going to be very late and I don't think they even have one this year.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Pandemic provides perspective for Flames superstar Gaudreau, whose girlfriend works as nurse

lol, so apparently Gaudreau's GF is a nurse in at a Children's hospital in Philly.

We better just be grateful he didn't pull an Adam Fox and that we got some great years out of the kid, and Treliving best trade him this off season for the biggest return he can muster. That boy is gone to Philly as a UFA in two years.

Shit. I had some hope he’d want to re sign here but that’s the nail in the coffin.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Debrusk would have to be included but what else? I quite like Debrusk but he's a 2nd line winger and I don't see him improving much, any 1st they give us is going to be very late and I don't think they even have one this year.

I dunno honestly. Strudnicka is close to NHL ready and has top six potential imo, at worst top 9. One of their defensemen? I genuinely don't know for sure. Just thinking target wise it may make some sense. Just not sure what we get back.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think there's all sorts of teams out east, with good prospect pools, that are either entering win now mode or want to be real bad.

Philly
Islanders
Panthers
Hurricanes
Sabres

I left out Tampa and Boston because if we sign Hall, we won't have room to add roster players. I also wouldn't rule out teams in the West. I mean if you're confident he's going to Philly in 2 years or less, you maximize the return.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think there's all sorts of teams out east, with good prospect pools, that are either entering win now mode or want to be real bad.

Philly
Islanders
Panthers
Hurricanes
Sabres

I left out Tampa and Boston because if we sign Hall, we won't have room to add roster players. I also wouldn't rule out teams in the West. I mean if you're confident he's going to Philly in 2 years or less, you maximize the return.

I'll give you Philly, the Islander's are in a significant cap bind so signing him could be an issue, Panther's are cutting salary hardcore, Canes is a good idea, and I doubt he will re-sign with the Sabres.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
The wild card with the Sabres would be Eichel. But I think in general, if the Flyers can fit him in that they have by far the best chance at signing Gaudreau to his next contract.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'll give you Philly, the Islander's are in a significant cap bind so signing him could be an issue, Panther's are cutting salary hardcore, Canes is a good idea, and I doubt he will re-sign with the Sabres.
Johnny's signing with the Flyers. A lot of people underestimate the value of his contract, for 2 more year, to a team primed to win the cup. If this team maximizes their value, retaining say 25% or Johnny@$5 million, every team in the league takes a shot at him. Half of them are willing to mortgage the future for 2 year of a $5 million Gaudreau.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
People around here need a good dose of life experience; Johnny will be back out East for the 2022-23 season. His value is a question mark depending on the Covid playoffs. If you can sign Hall and get a good, won’t be great, return for him then jump all over it. Personally I would target a package from Buffalo centered around the #8 pick (Holtz/Perfetti/Sanderson). The cap situation will not allow adding significantly to this core so need to pull a “re-set” not a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad