Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's going to arbitration, and still unclear on if the proration of games may be extended to a situation like this as it is for several other situations (points into playoffs, bonuses, etc.) depending on how much the arbitration relies on good faith negotiations and intent vs exact wording of the agreement - and intent is something that does come up often in legal agreement interpretation.

In all likelihood, i think they settle on a lower round pick from EDM to CGY or EDM gives up nothing and CGY gets a compensatory pick in a later round from the NHL. So there is more downside to a loss for EDM than there is for CGY, you are correct, but not an inconsequential chance that the ruling goes wholly in CGY's favor either.

This is just one of those rare opportunities to inject some good will and fun back into things at a time when it is sorely needed.

FWIW I think if arbitration rules the Flames get a pick, it'll be as a compensatory pick and Edmonton would keep their own pick.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Players are not going to play an exhibition game to determine a pick. That’s not how they role. There’s zero incentive, an extra pick only benefits upper management.

If the NHL decides to prorate performance bonuses, then conditional picks will be prorated too in order to be consistent. Thanks to Neal’s hot start in October the Flames should be earning the pick.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So not my first option, but if we swing and miss on our UFA's we want, how do people feel about Dylan Strome? Supposedly not a huge cost to acquire.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Strome-Mangiapane
Dube-Backlund-Ryan

Could probably ship out Bennett and not qualify or trade Jankowski for a similar ish cap hit to Strome and still have money to invest into the D as well, or a different UFA forward as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The only hitch in this plan is that the second you are allowed to sign a him to an extension is the same second his limited NTC kicks in. It's a 5 team trade list IIRC.

Now if he puts Philly/Jersey/NYI/NYR/CAR on his list then it's not too bad, but it still limits you. Where the problem lies is if he uses it as a means to filter himself to his preferred destination and puts Philly/Edmonton/Vancouver/San Jose/Anaheim on it then you are essentially limited to one team you can negotiate with.

The whole thing is predicated on the fact that Johnny is desperate to get closer to home. If so, he's not submitting that second list. It's worth noting that a lot of NHL teams are extremely closer together around the Eastern Seaboard. He could definitely put together a five-team list that gets him within driving distance of Ma and Pa. I wouldn't be scared of that situation from the Flames' perspective. All of those teams would view Johnny as a guy they would be acquiring not for one year, but for the long term.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So not my first option, but if we swing and miss on our UFA's we want, how do people feel about Dylan Strome? Supposedly not a huge cost to acquire.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Strome-Mangiapane
Dube-Backlund-Ryan

Could probably ship out Bennett and not qualify or trade Jankowski for a similar ish cap hit to Strome and still have money to invest into the D as well, or a different UFA forward as well.

Chicago probably asks for Hanifin and we just can't do that with Giordano entering his late 30s.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I would rather keep Ryan. Guy plays his heart out.
Definitely move Bennett if...Hall is seriously considering the Flames. Maybe even move Johnny G if the right youth potential + prospects coming back.
I would even propose signing Hall and offering Mony-Johnny Hockey and Bennett to Ottawa, for Brady Tkachuk, #5 OA pick and C 'P Logan Brown plus ?
If Ottawa bites on it.
I could see the 2 Tks bros with Dube and Hall- E Lindholm-Mangie as our top 6.
Plus, we could get a stud future C or D or W with the #5 OA. And, we would have our own 1st Rder, wherever that ends up being. Logan Brown is NHL ready to trial in the Bigs, with his size, puck savvy, reach and natural Center abilities, it could be a win for the future with surprise improvement right away.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Why do we want to trade Gaudreau early when were in win now mode in the first place. So frustrating seeing people wanting to sign Hall and then trade Gaudreau for definite near term downgrades. We should be adding a player like Hall and keeping Gaudreau for at least one more year if he won't resign. We have star D prospects that can replace Brodie and Hamonic so the cap works too.

Swapping Gaudreau for Hall and prospects and quantity seems like a step down.
Shit. I had some hope he’d want to re sign here but that’s the nail in the coffin.

My proposal to trade with Ottawa would hardly be a step backwards, imo. Yes, Hall on one line LW, and Johnny on another line LW, could be awesome.
I see getting Brady Tkachuk, joining Matthew, as a win and an improvement on Johnny and Mony as a top-line. Brady has shown, on a very weak Ottawa team, lots of moxy, savvy, scoring and learning to handle the NHLtoll. He plays very adequate Center or Wing. 1 more year ELC and then open the vault. Could help keep both Tkachuk bros in the fold long term.
Could also run: MTk-BTk-EL, Hall-Dube or Backlund-Mangie. Not bad top-6.
Very likely Johnnymoves on, won't resign here after next season anyways. His girlfriend in Medical in Philly. His heart is in Philly. Like Trouba possibly, he will want to head back east. US market style, for his family and life future.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I wonder about Gaudreau for Hischier and a 1st and maybe a 2nd rounder?
Could be nice but...ra
A 1% success rate doesn't make him a credible insider, imo.
The only hitch in this plan is that the second you are allowed to sign a him to an extension is the same second his limited NTC kicks in. It's a 5 team trade list IIRC.

Now if he puts Philly/Jersey/NYI/NYR/CAR on his list then it's not too bad, but it still limits you. Where the problem lies is if he uses it as a means to filter himself to his preferred destination and puts Philly/Edmonton/Vancouver/San Jose/Anaheim on it then you are essentially limited to one team you can negotiate with.
I couldvgroovevon offering Johnny + Kylington or Valamaki( prefer to keep Vali) to NYI for M Barzal and RD- Ryan Pulock** to the Flames!

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Could be nice but...ra

I couldvgroovevon offering Johnny + Kylington or Valamaki( prefer to keep Vali) to NYI for M Barzal and RD- Ryan Pulock** to the Flames!
Even if Johnny was locked up, we win that trade by a fair margin, assuming Valimaki pans out. There is no winger in the NHL, that the Islanders would give up Barzal for......and Pulock ain't so bad either.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Monahan, Bennett + 2020 1st(15th OA ish) for Strome, Saad, Nylander + 2020 1st(9th OA ish)

Gaudreau-Strome-Saad
Mangiapane-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Dube-Backlund-Nylander
Good proposal Sparky! I think Dylan Strome could usurp Mony a #1 C and Saad would be an upgrade on Bennett. Nylander could find his game here in the West and could gel with the likes of Backs, Lindy, Rasmus in the fold. Young skilled with scoring potential. Not sure Chi goes for the dropping down 6+ spots in the draft tho?

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Even if Johnny was locked up, we win that trade by a fair margin, assuming Valimaki pans out. There is no winger in the NHL, that the Islanders would give up Barzal for......and Pulock ain't so bad either.

What if they were having trouble getting him signed, and they were worried about an offer sheet coming in that would force them to demolish their cap structure and Treliving phoned and offered Tkachuk?

Do they take that winger?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Not even Laine or Rantanen or Aho? Okay, Flames add Monahan and we get Anders Lee? Or, Flames add Backlund to Johnny and Valamaki, for Barzal, Pulock and a prospect? No? I'll just leave your Islanders alone, keep Johnny.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
What if they were having trouble getting him signed, and they were worried about an offer sheet coming in that would force them to demolish their cap structure and Treliving phoned and offered Tkachuk?

Do they take that winger?
Ooh. Didn't think of offering Tkachuk? Ouch. Wouldn't want to lose him and keep Johnny, unless you were able to sign Taylor Hall.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
A lot of teams that were running interim HC’s have re-upped their contracts or have hired someone other than a big name (Minnesota, NJ, SJ, Nashville went with Hynes). Laviolette, Gallant and BB are still available. If the Flames sputter in the play in or don’t manage to win more than a round I’d be surprised if we decided to keep Ward around. But I’m not sure the big name coaches are within our supposed coaching budget.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Forgot Gallant was available to. All three would be massive gets if we were able to get one. Flames need a good coach

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Friedman was saying the asking price isn’t high for him and I believe there was talk of a 2nd round pick or so.

That would be a terrible return for Dylan Strome. That's pretty much like getting a 2nd round pick for Hanifin.

That kind of return would make more sense if it was Ryan Strome (who kinda had an insane outlier year).

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That would be a terrible return for Dylan Strome. That's pretty much like getting a 2nd round pick for Hanifin.

That kind of return would make more sense if it was Ryan Strome (who kinda had an insane outlier year).

Isn't it more like...

giphy.gif

than

giphy.gif

?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Forgot Gallant was available to. All three would be massive gets if we were able to get one. Flames need a good coach

BB and GG are interesting to me. Not sure about Laviolette.

I like GG because he reminds me of Hartley. BB isn't a bad option, but the post season stuff is concerning.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Strome had 38 pts in 58 games this year and 57 in 78 last year...

Idk how that only gets a 2nd rounder.

He's an RFA though, not a good deal contract. Plus, IIRC Strome's playing with elite wingers. I think he's worth more than Bennett, but he's no where close to Hanifin's value which is probably around what we paid for Dougie Hamilton without a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad