Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
To be clear, you’re saying that should he determine Kuraly is a deserving assistant captain, that Babcock should be relieved for his head coaching duties?

I think it would be a bad decision and legitimately will not happen. It was a chance to use a -what I would consider long standing- “joke” about blaming and firing the coach for anything and everything. If he gives Kuraly a letter, I guess that will prove I’m wrong about Kuraly. We’ll see.

I have no idea why he would dislike Kuraly. I still don't even know why you dislike Kuraly. He's a meat and potatoes player, there's not much to like or dislike there. For the last two years he's taken most of the team's D zone faceoffs, not an easy job.

It’s really nothing at all about the faceoffs or his “style”, although he really doesn’t seem to actually be very good at faceoffs and I don’t like his defensive “awareness” and overall work in the defensive zone AT ALL. Where I look at Jenner as “undermanned” in this regard, I look at Kuraly as part of the problem. I don’t think he is what we thought he was and what he’s mostly perceived to be. I quite simply think he’s not a good hockey player.

I’ve made numerous comments during/after games pointing out questionable actions and “body language” from Kuraly, that is noticeable during games. Essentially “showing up” other players (imo) and in many cases he is just as, if not MORE, at fault for the goals scored, when most of these things are noticeable. I wish I could see the games in person and not just during tv broadcasts, yet these things are still there to see.

Many people say I’m delusional or making a big thing out of nothing, and that’s fine. I simply disagree. It’s a consistent thing I’ve see from him and I’m sorry if others don’t see it. There’s a “vibe” there I really don’t like regarding his on ice interactions with teammates while things are going bad.

I also stand by the idea that’s there’s more (or “were”) issues/problems behind the comments of Gudbranson and Werenski regarding issues at practice and “raising the standard”, that have nothing to do with Brad Larsen. Like there’s an issue, yet nobody can really admit it or talk about it honestly in any way. Nothing can be corrected in this way.

And why would Foudy be preferred? I don't know. Maybe Babcock sees him as a guy who could take advantage of the stretch pass, though that would be on the wing. I personally don't see Foudy having the skills. Even compared to Kuraly, Foudy's inability to stay on his feet is a problem.
I mean, really?? “His inability to stay on his feet”?? Come on. Foudy is a 1st round draft pick who was literally picked there due to his skating ability. Give him some time to add some strength. Look at your boy Bambi Jiricek. Hell, Foudy can get knocked down and get up and he’ll still get somewhere before Peeke gets there. Foudy skates, shoots, and most importantly, reads the ice, better than every “lower lineup veteran”.

A Roslovic that cuts out the blind passes, scores a little more consistently, and pays a bit more attention defensively, would be a valuable player. We could use a guy like that!

Right, a Roslovic that does everything Roslovic doesn’t do.
Don't tell bus this part but I don't see much of a gap, if any, between Christiansen and Bean.
Bean’s injuries have clouded much of the perception of him as a player. He has looked like the best PP “QB” at times, over both Boqvist and Werenski. Also, seems like his defense judged harshly when playing higher in the lineup, whereas “Pirouette Peeke” is excused…

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I just hope that Babs will play Roslovic on the wing, because that’s where he can thrive. He has his moments at C, but he more often than not plays with his blinders on and ends up ruining the attack. He’s got the tools for being a solid top 6 winger if utilized correctly IMO.
I agree with the winger thing, but, “solid top 6 winger” is too much. He’s more Sonny Milano than he is Nikolai Zherdev, skill wise.

These players can work on the 2019-20 (or earlier) Columbus Blue Jackets, not the 2005-06 or current Columbus Blue Jackets.

Sometimes the “tools” outweigh the “toolbox”.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’ve made numerous comments during/after games pointing out questionable actions and “body language” from Kuraly, that is noticeable during games. Essentially “showing up” other players (imo) and in many cases he is just as, if not MORE, at fault for the goals scored, when most of these things are noticeable. I wish I could see the games in person and not just during tv broadcasts, yet these things are still there to see.

Many people say I’m delusional or making a big thing out of nothing, and that’s fine. I simply disagree. It’s a consistent thing I’ve see from him and I’m sorry if others don’t see it. There’s a “vibe” there I really don’t like regarding his on ice interactions with teammates while things are going bad.

I also stand by the idea that’s there’s more (or “were”) issues/problems behind the comments of Gudbranson and Werenski regarding issues at practice and “raising the standard”, that have nothing to do with Brad Larsen. Like there’s an issue, yet nobody can really admit it or talk about it honestly in any way. Nothing can be corrected in this way.

I've seen a couple moments where Kuraly got upset after a goal against, same thing for Gudbranson. You can understand the pressure these guys are feeling.

Their teammates have seen them react in countless situations on and off the ice that we barely have a glimmer of a reflection of. It is vitally important that the players respect each other but we can't see that stuff. It would be nice if you stopped pretending that you can see it!

I mean, really?? “His inability to stay on his feet”?? Come on. Foudy is a 1st round draft pick who was literally picked there due to his skating ability. Give him some time to add some strength. Look at your boy Bambi Jiricek. Hell, Foudy can get knocked down and get up and he’ll still get somewhere before Peeke gets there. Foudy skates, shoots, and most importantly, reads the ice, better than every “lower lineup veteran”.

Teenage prospects looking like bambi ought to be excused. 23 year olds, less so.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I agree with the winger thing, but, “solid top 6 winger” is too much. He’s more Sonny Milano than he is Nikolai Zherdev, skill wise.

These players can work on the 2019-20 (or so) Columbus Blue Jackets, not the 2005-06 or current Columbus Blue Jackets.

He has warts, but is able to put up the points as a 2:nd liner. He just needs to be used in a way to utilize his strenghts, which are way above average. Speed, agility and a nice shot.

Reactions: majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He has warts, but is able to put up the points as a 2:nd liner. He just needs to be used in a way to utilize his strenghts, which are way above average. Speed, agility and a nice shot.
Its the shot one that always gets me. It is solid but never gets the goal totals you'd expect.

I like that Babcock will hold him accoutable for the illadvised turnovers so he'll have to adjust if he wants to play up in the lineup. Playing with more speed and more puck position should be good for him like many others though. Having a defense that can make plays vs flipping 50/50 pucks out or having forwards carry from their own zone every single play will help everyone

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Its the shot one that always gets me. It is solid but never gets the goal totals you'd expect.

I like that Babcock will hold him accoutable for the illadvised turnovers so he'll have to adjust if he wants to play up in the lineup. Playing with more speed and more puck position should be good for him like many others though. Having a defense that can make plays vs flipping 50/50 pucks out or having forwards carry from their own zone every single play will help everyone
I agree, I think that he will benefit a lot from getting better outlet passes, which will let him fly past the opponents, because he has some serious skills when it comes to skating. I can’t wait for the camp and season to start to see what Babs comes up with.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

These players can work on the 2019-20 (or so) Columbus Blue Jackets, not the 2005-06 or current Columbus Blue Jackets.

Given that memories cloud judgement, and I loved Zherdev, it’s all about deploying the right players on a line to do their job. The hometown boy might surprise us in the right system, with the right line mates. Fingers crossed :)

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I've seen a couple moments where Kuraly got upset after a goal against, same thing for Gudbranson. You can understand the pressure these guys are feeling.

Their teammates have seen them react in countless situations on and off the ice that we barely have a glimmer of a reflection of. It is vitally important that the players respect each other but we can't see that stuff. It would be nice if you stopped pretending that you can see it!

Teenage prospects looking like bambi ought to be excused. 23 year olds, less so.
Scheifele comes to mind when speaking of Bambis that took their time to grow/get it together. He became a beast at the boards and usually stays on on top when engaged. I think it’s too early to judge at this point.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Scheifele comes to mind when speaking of Bambis that took their time to grow/get it together. He became a beast at the boards and usually stays on on top when engaged. I think it’s too early to judge at this point.

I don't recall it being much of a problem by the time he was 23.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Roslovic has often started terribly but who knows under Babcock. He might be all over him. I also think Babs will love Danforth and might play him high up.
(I know y'all kinda just said the same a few pages back but oh well...) This will be fascinating to watch. Danforth was a PPG player for three seasons (Liiga/KHL). He has that "top guy" experience. His first season here was a bit of a battle but he did play well by the end and took more of a role (although I remember him missing a ton of chances - but having those chances is the first step to greatness). If he can continue that progression, he might be a surprise in the top-6 even.

There's so many unknowns going into camp (or even "unkowns"). Voronkov, Danforth, Texier are all joining the team and could carve out a role on almost any line. If even one or two of them can fulfill our reasonable expectations, that's a win in my books.

Any way you slice it, our 3rd line should be quite exciting (imagine Texier-Roslovic-Laine or Johnson-Fantilli-Danforth, or substitute somebody with Marchenko, Voronkov). What's fun is that reading everybody's opinions here makes me forget some folks or line combos that I might've had penciled in before.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Babcock is very eager to try a Fantilli/Laine center duo.

Babcock talks Blue Jackets offseason improvements in Part 3 with NHL.com | NHL.com

I imagine that either Gaudreau or KJ would be the best winger for Fantilli/Laine.

He reiterates that he wants 8 centers, two per line. L/R combos where possible.
Thats pretty exciting to me for Fantilli. Line 2 and 3 become a potential strange mix though depending on how it works out. Johnson/Gaudreau-Jenner-Roslovic maybe? Suddenly I start to wonder where Marchenko fits in unless Danforth takes 3C and keep Sillinger in Cleveland.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Thats pretty exciting to me for Fantilli. Line 2 and 3 become a potential strange mix though depending on how it works out. Johnson/Gaudreau-Jenner-Roslovic maybe? Suddenly I start to wonder where Marchenko fits in unless Danforth takes 3C and keep Sillinger in Cleveland.
Based on this setup you are looking at X-Fantilli/Laine probably taking say line 2 for now because I doubt he's going to become line 1 before Thanksgiving (and if he does its going to be a damn good winter). Also I am here for the Fantilli/Laine bromance that's been happening as of late so I really want those two on a line together because I think for synergy reasons they can cover each other too.

Looking at this though we are short one really good R faceoff guy even with Danforth in the mix with what I fully expect to be in the lineup as a 3rd line winger because he's the type of player Babcock loves. Unless we trade for another player short term using current assets (*cough cough* Pageau/Lindholm) then we won't get that requested mix...and now I realized why there was such rumors of a potential Lindholm for Marchenko swap earlier this summer, I could see why both parties would be interested in such an exchange using what each team needs right now and for their futures (though I do not at all endorse personally).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Looking at this though we are short one really good R faceoff guy even with Danforth in the mix with what I fully expect to be in the lineup as a 3rd line winger because he's the type of player Babcock loves. Unless we trade for another player short term using current assets (*cough cough* Pageau/Lindholm) then we won't get that requested mix...and now I realized why there was such rumors of a potential Lindholm for Marchenko swap earlier this summer, I could see why both parties would be interested in such an exchange using what each team needs right now and for their futures (though I do not at all endorse personally).

I think we would like another R faceoff guy (especially if Roslovic isn't staying long), but it doesn't hurt if there is a line with a couple left-handed centers, they can probably use mostly on the fly starts if it matters.

For me personally - I'd be much more interested in Lindholm if I thought all it would take was Marchenko. I think that's overvaluing Marchenko.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'll be glad if I never see Lindholm here. He won't be getting any younger and Calgary would want half the kingdom and a princess to go with it. Besides, we're growing our young centers and, come to think of it, Boone might play a season or two at center. If for chemistry with Gaudreau, Johnny needs a different coach as Lars. In addition, Mathew Tkachuk was third in that line.

Btw, Marchenko isn't overrated.

Although my dream the Voronkov -- Fantilli -- Laine line, Babcock could join Fantilli with Texier or Danforth. Roslovic is speed but he is bad at the boards. And he like to carry the puck too. He has excellent chemistry with Laine. Simply we will see.

Last edited:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Ok I cracked up at "Rob & Do" in that Part 3 interview. That's pretty fitting.

I wonder if Roslovic-Fantilli-Laine would work. Give Rosy less to do, focus on the basics (like not losing the puck, kinda the same as Laine). Fantilli and Laine spending some of the offseason together is great, at least they can talk openly about stuff for the on-ice chemistry to develop. And that leaves great players for a 3rd line.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I'll be glad if I never see Lindholm here. He won't be getting any younger and Calgary would want half the kingdom and a princess to go with it. Besides, we're growing our young centers and, come to think of it, Boone might play a season or two at center. If for chemistry with Gaudreau, Johnny needs a different coach as Lars. In addition, Mathew Tkachuk was third in that line.

Btw, Marchenko isn't overrated.

Although my dream the Voronkov -- Fantilli -- Laine line, Babcock could join Fantilli with Texier or Danforth. Roslovic is speed but he is bad at the boards. And he like to carry the puck too. He has excellent chemistry with Laine. Simply we will see.
Before the Laine/Fantilli bromance started I figured Danforth would be the perfect wingman for the opening month for Fantilli to get used to the speed of the professional game. I am expecting a huge year out of Danforth as he's meeting everything requested by Babcock, how we know how he doesn't take a shift off and he was looking really good last year before the injury.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Ok I cracked up at "Rob & Do" in that Part 3 interview. That's pretty fitting.

I wonder if Roslovic-Fantilli-Laine would work. Give Rosy less to do, focus on the basics (like not losing the puck, kinda the same as Laine). Fantilli and Laine spending some of the offseason together is great, at least they can talk openly about stuff for the on-ice chemistry to develop. And that leaves great players for a 3rd line.
I don't know. Danforth is RH, so maybe they could use him in another line. With Fantilli ony if Adam would play in the third line. Next, I think Laine should play on left side. From there, he moves to C more effectively as RH, and even if Babs doesn't use him as at C, he would have more shooting options. Besides he can play with anyone if he moves his feet, be a TOP player. I hope Babs has a thorough talk with him about this. The third should be a tough player who plays great in front of the goalie, at the boards, but at the same time doesn't have the hockey IQ of a rocking horse. The big problem is that we have too many players and even if we wanted to have three offensive lines like Florida had in the PO, we would still have some players available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm thinking its having two guys on a line that can take faceoffs, not necessarily two actual centers. Nothing new to me.

When Babs talks about the two centers he always brings up the Datsyuk story where he needed another backchecker in order to feel free to attack deep as a center. The L-R bit is about faceoffs.

I think it is actually "two actual centers". But you might be defining centers differently. For me they need to be a player that has the ability to defend down low and initiate the breakout and take draws. We do have 8 forwards that can defend down low and at least start the breakout from there. Some of them have stunk on draws.

One big advantage that I'm looking forward to is that the first backchecker won't be compelled to switch to the wing in the middle of defensive coverage. No awkward switches where a guy can get loose.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Besides Fantilli obviously, I'm actually very excited to get Danforth & Texier back and also Voronkov could be a dark horse for being just the kind of player the team could make good use of. Besides Jenner, each to me are potentially the kind of players that would round out a line very nicely with an offensive duo without killing the offense. There are very good offensive players (with varying level of two-way ability) in Gaudreau, Laine, Johnson, Roslovic and probably Marchenko, Chinakhov, Fantilli. The line combos could have lot to be excited about.

Taking into account Babs desire for two "centers" per line, that would limit possible combinations, but truth be told I believe that's a thing he'd ideally like, rather than a must for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad