Speculation: Armchair GM - Offseason Thread (Summer Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Maybe gets them another playoffs or 2 but still 1 important injury away from being what they were last year. Might impact us short term but will be even more assets out the door for them longterm.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

San Jose got trade deadline fodder and one first round pick for a reigning norris champion. Abysmal

Reactions: Xoggz22

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

San Jose got trade deadline fodder and one first round pick for a reigning norris champion. Abysmal

The contract and league wide cap situation really put them in a major bind. At this point probably just wanted it to done to get it out of the way because if this is reigning Norris winner return what would a down or injury riddled year do. Not bad timing for Pittsburgh though with the cap expected to start jumping. They should get a couple cracks at decent seasons with that core but the rebuild will be extensive when it starts in a few years

A trade like this shows how bad Stan Bowman was. Yeah Jones was younger but Bowman was basically bid against himself and gave a premium. Dubas knew the situation and took advantage of it

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
A trade like this shows how bad Stan Bowman was. Yeah Jones was younger but Bowman was basically bid against himself and gave a premium. Dubas knew the situation and took advantage of it
Didn’t think of it that way. But you’re so right. Literally was Chicago and Dallas (and Colorado I believe, but as a rental only). Crazy how lucky we were. Even though Sillinger and Boqvist have been debatable pieces.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

EDIT: Panarin is there too, but let his big fans put his photos/videos there. I'm glad he left and hope he NEVER comes back.

I think when he's got a head full of confidence and he's grooving, his shot is almost on par with a guy like Laine. The problem is his consistency and ability to stay healthy. But if he can get a few consistent seasons and can round out his game... The potential for a true top 6 player is definitely there.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

I think when he's got a head full of confidence and he's grooving, his shot is almost on par with a guy like Laine. The problem is his consistency and ability to stay healthy. But if he can get a few consistent seasons and can round out his game... The potential for a true top 6 player is definitely there.

Personally I like Chinakhov more than Marchenko going forward

Reactions: VT and CBJx614

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think when he's got a head full of confidence and he's grooving, his shot is almost on par with a guy like Laine.
Imo one noticeable issue limiting goal scoring potential for both players has been their slow pass reception and puckhandling skills. So far it has taken way too much time for them to put pucks on a shooting position and actually use their elite shots. Laine is cleaner with the puckhandling but isn't very quick and at times tends to hesitate for too long. Chinakhov has looked more willing to shoot but gets less opportunities because he's simply more inconsistent with puckhandling.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Personally I like Chinakhov more than Marchenko going forward
I think Marchy has a longer way to go to round out his game.
Imo one noticeable issue limiting goal scoring potential for both players has been their slow pass reception and puckhandling skills. So far it has taken way too much time for them to put pucks on a shooting position and actually use their elite shots. Laine is cleaner with the puckhandling but isn't very quick and at times tends to hesitate for too long. Chinakhov has looked more willing to shoot but gets less opportunities because he's simply more inconsistent with puckhandling.
Yeah they definitely aren't perfect but I also think as a bonafide shooter, your ability is directly tied to your confidence. So when you aren't scoring a lot you're gonna star second guessing whether you should pass or shoot and I think that's where the difference between Laine and a guy like Chinny. Laine can get back into the groove a lot easier than a guy like Chinny. But once Chinny gets that confidence, watch out. He definitely has to work on his off puck game a lot more though.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It means Pens and Caps won't play in the PO. Except Hinostroza and Guentzel all important forwards have 30 and more. Letand and especially Karlsson don't know to defense. And Jarry isn't Sorokin.
Laine is very underrated, I think.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I really hope Chinny's development wasn't hindered by the injury last year. I like him a lot but as said, he needs consistency and staying healthy. Very excited to see how he comes to training camp and which spots he's battling for (2nd line, 3rd line or 4th line/AHL).

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Chinakhov's shot always looks so clean and dangerous but then it hits the goalies pads. I don't know how highly we can praise the shot before it actually starts going in on NHL level

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
After that Dumba signing (1 year for $3.9 million with Arizona), do people still think we needed to trade a third round pick and give Severson that contract?

Also, that Erik Karlsson trade should show that shorter offensive defensemen (even the best shorter offensive defenseman who is the reigning Norris winner) don’t have a ton of value.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
After that Dumba signing (1 year for $3.9 million with Arizona), do people still think we needed to trade a third round pick and give Severson that contract?

Also, that Erik Karlsson trade should show that shorter offensive defensemen (even the best shorter offensive defenseman who is the reigning Norris winner) don’t have a ton of value.
None of these things have any connection at all so I have no idea what point you are even trying to make. Karlsson is 33 and has 4 years left at 11.5 with a NMC, his value is reduced because of the contract and the control he had. He also has an injury history and before last season has a string of mediocre at best seasons, not exactly a prime candidate to pay max value for. He had 97 points in his 3 years prior to this one combined.

Dumba has also has some injury history and his offense has fallen off a cliff. Alright player but its not an accident he was just signed now. Arizona might try to prop him up and flip at the deadline. Good gamble for Arizona but not one I would want us to make. Plus Severson is 2" taller and 25lbs heavier so thats a huge boost even if hes not 6'6",right?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'll disagree on both counts.

Dumba's play has taken him into a lower category. There were contract projections at the start of FA (Evolving Wild) and Severson was at the very top, Dumba not even close.

If a young player was as good as Karlsson on a good contract he would be one of the most valuable pieces in the league, Karlsson got a lower trade return because of his contract and age and injury history.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
As I’ve mentioned before, they might not be the “perfect fits”, stylistically or where they are in currently in their careers in relation to the CBJ as a team, but, NOBODY should have ANY sort of complaints or issues about the acquisitions of either/both of Provorov/Severson after watching this team play hockey/defense the last few years.

I don’t think I’ve seen people care more about a 3rd round pick in my life. How many times are 2nd/3rd round picks spent/used on essentially NOTHING?? Provorov wasn’t getting traded for less and Severson wasn’t signing for less.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
As I’ve mentioned before, they might not be the “perfect fits”, stylistically or where they are in currently in their careers in relation to the CBJ as a team, but, NOBODY should have ANY sort of complaints or issues about the acquisitions of either/both of Provorov/Severson after watching this team play hockey/defense the last few years.

I don’t think I’ve seen people care more about a 3rd round pick in my life. How many times are 2nd/3rd round picks spent/used on essentially NOTHING?? Provorov wasn’t getting traded for less and Severson wasn’t signing for less.

I think we could have had Severson at 5 x $5 million and nobody would have beaten that. The few teams with cap space weren’t looking for a guy like Severson, and the teams that might have made an offer didn’t have the cap space. Looking at the market, nothing has convinced me otherwise. When people start the Severson buy out talk in a few years (which I’ll be against in principle because I think buy outs are stupid), I’ll be sure to point out that not only was it a bad contract, but we also gave up a pick to sign him to that 8th year. Jarmo would have probably wasted the pick anyway, but it is the principal of giving up an asset we didn’t need to give up which bothers me.

Reactions: EspenK

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

Very true. And that’s without even mentioning the prospect depth we have..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad