Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'm a little worried the club will be using our capspace to try and make the playoffs

With that NJ 2025 1st, and Florida's, they might be OK giving up our 1st

I still think it's a big mistake, and totally expect to finish just outside if they try.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm a little worried the club will be using our capspace to try and make the playoffs

With that NJ 2025 1st, and Florida's, they might be OK giving up our 1st

I still think it's a big mistake, and totally expect to finish just outside if they try.
That theory is tanked by the Markstrom trade.

If they go out and get another goalie? Yeah, that's the canary.

Reactions: Rockmorton

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
This is a very good draft for Conny/flames. I LOVE the russia/canadian roster approach.

There's the Calgary kid Yaremchuk, Iginla, and Catton (Sask). plus a number of Russians projected in the first round. Lots of good long term guys who are likely to stay in Calgary if they turn out. Good draft for the flames in the first round.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
So Markstrom got traded and that on it's own didn't warrant an own thread :) Tells you what we all think of him- it is what it is. Not happy it's a 2025 1st rounder but OK....

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Flames needed to be in on that Walman trade earlier today.
That would have been perfect - a depth Dman and a 2nd?

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.

Conroy has to circle back to Skjei. It has to happen, this is going to happen

Don’t think we will be getting any of the big name UFA defencemen, either because they are looking to go to a contender immediately, Canada factor, or we are unwilling to match value/term of other bidders.

If we were to land Brady Skjei, I will be happy for you. Lol

Kind of disappointed we didn’t get a free asset to bring Walman in, but with a 10 team NTC, we probably weren’t a consideration. I could see us acquire Maatta for free if DRW continue to remodel their D.

Reactions: Fig

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’m having a really hard time understanding how Skjei makes sense though.

30 year old, America FA coming off his most productive year to a team who will not be competitive. Sounds like a 7 year deal at more money than he deserves to me.

Does make me wonder about Kylington though. Surely if he were coming back and an Andersson move was unlikely, we’d not be in the market for one of the higher end FA D?

If Kylington is gone, give me Alexandre Carrier, another top 15 pick, and Morgan Frost and I’d be very happy with that off-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig and Ace Rimmer

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I’m having a really hard time understanding how Skjei makes sense though.

30 year old, America FA coming off his most productive year to a team who will not be competitive. Sounds like a 7 year deal at more money than he deserves to me.

Does make me wonder about Kylington though. Surely if he were coming back and an Andersson move was unlikely, we’d not be in the market for one of the higher end FA D?

If Kylington is gone, give me Alexandre Carrier, another top 15 pick, and Morgan Frost and I’d be very happy with that off-season.
Skjei is what OKG things kylington is

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Skjei is what OKG things kylington is
I think management reads these forums at times. If they're stuck on two similar guys, they'll go on here to see if there's a mention of players for breaking that tie.

More Skjei posts vs whoever else is the other target and it might sway in his favor. But that means someone is moving to make it work out doing it as you said for contract comparisons for Kylington.

Either Kylington is moving as everyone is assuming if asking about Skjei, or Weegar. Those are our two LD. Ottawa ponied up for Ullmark, maybe they'll pony up for Weegar in a way that makes sense, hence the Skjei exploration.

I mean if be happy for you, but this is an odd tip of the iceberg if it's not serious than just data collection.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
There are obviously exceptions, but between here and reddit, I have more Flames fans on ignore than Oilers fans and Leafs fans combined.

Hedgehog's dilemma? Only those closer can hurt you. Those further out avoid obvious spines?

That's why Flames on ignore because they can actually hurt and frustrate and Oilers and Leafs on your regular auto filtered because it's obvious risk?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hedgehog's dilemma? Only those closer can hurt you. Those further out avoid obvious spines?

That's why Flames on ignore because they can actually hurt and frustrate and Oilers and Leafs on your regular auto filtered because it's obvious risk?
Maybe, but I've been saying we have the worst online fans for a long time now and it seems to be getting worse as the better fans are living their lives and posting less.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
A name I keep thinking of... Spencer Knight. I actually like the idea of him slowly taking the time he needs to return. I think we still need a stop gap goalie, but I'd also hope we learned how to handle a guy like Knight through experience with parsons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad