Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Would be a perfect UFA signing, not a trade target though

Agreed. But not sure we get a shot at Chychrun if we wait till UFA. I was thinking more like Chychrun as a secondary piece or maybe a deal surrounding Markstrom+ if he extends?

Maybe explore that deal to see whether it's a better deal there than we can get from Jersey?

Fig

Dec 15, 2014
Another name I wonder if it might work as a potential buy low project is Laine. Put him across Huberdeau and have these two second overalls try and mesh, which I think it might.

I think our org does a good job helping players through the PAP, which could be beneficial for us in working with him and potentially getting a long term piece. CBJ isn't bad either at that either though after working with Texier.

But I'm not sure CBJ truly is looking to move him, especially if his value is very low and Idk what we can offer that CBJ actually would want to consider in a swap.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think there are a certain few players you can probably count on never winning a Cup if they’re among your best players. Laine is one of them, Zegras is another where I just don’t think they’re good enough in their expected role, and unable to play a role lower in the lineup.

No evidence behind this, just a gut feel and intuition, but they’ve always been two guys I hope the Flames never, ever target.

Reactions: viper0220

Fig

Dec 15, 2014
I think there are a certain few players you can probably count on never winning a Cup if they’re among your best players. Laine is one of them, Zegras is another where I just don’t think they’re good enough in their expected role, and unable to play a role lower in the lineup.

No evidence behind this, just a gut feel and intuition, but they’ve always been two guys I hope the Flames never, ever target.

The thing is, I'd consider a Laine acquisition for a 2nd line and PP threat. Guys like Rango could also watch him and increase their scoring by seeing if they could learn and imitate his shot mechanics. TBH, the aim would be something along the lines of trying to upgrade Mangiapane to someone who might mesh well across from Huberdeau and also be useful in other roles temporarily. Huberdeau has been asked to shoot more. Laine asked to play make more. Send both guys back to their original roles of pure shooter and pure passer. But extend Laine to a long term team friendly contract (that still benefits him) before he takes off.

I'm also OK with Laine not playing full 82 games a season. I'd be happy for him if he did, but I'd bring him over to play 60-70 games a season, paid as such long term, hence a 2RW idea. Basically an insulative piece for a core that has yet been determined.

Reduce his expectation to be the man, insulate him and let him flourish. Almost like when Kessel was on the third line when he won the cup with Pittsburgh.

Agreed if Zegras was your 1C, you'd be in it tough. 1B, you're OK.

I don't think we'd win the cup even with a full on tank rebuild. But idea wise from Laine, at least we can make things sorta interesting on a regular basis, maybe.

Fig

Dec 15, 2014
Huberdeau - Zegras - Laine

Dangerous line, not sure who for.

200.webp

Haters and lovers combined.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not sure I would really want any of Necas, Kotkaniemi, Laine, or Chychrun tbh
just don't see the juice being worth the squeeze

Now if Tampa wants to unload one of Cirelli, Paul, or Jeannot for more cap space that's something I would be interested in if I were Conroy.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Not sure I would really want any of Necas, Kotkaniemi, Laine, or Chychrun tbh
just don't see the juice being worth the squeeze

Now if Tampa wants to unload one of Cirelli, Paul, or Jeannot for more cap space that's something I would be interested in if I were Conroy.
Jeannot seems like the only viable option there as a cap casualty, really. Even if the other two do shake loose because of salary implications, they won’t be cheap to acquire. Paul is extremely productive for his role and salary, and Cirelli is a big part of their team that they would need to replace. And that would be tough to do while spending roughly the same. I don’t think those two are on the table, unless we’re going to pay.

Jeannot makes sense to take on for an asset, though.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Jeannot seems like the only viable option there as a cap casualty, really. Even if the other two do shake loose because of salary implications, they won’t be cheap to acquire. Paul is extremely productive for his role and salary, and Cirelli is a big part of their team that they would need to replace. And that would be tough to do while spending roughly the same. I don’t think those two are on the table, unless we’re going to pay.

Jeannot makes sense to take on for an asset, though.
he only makes sense if the Flames receive an asset and are committed to giving him a top 6 role to pump his stats up in order to flip him for more assets at the deadline. He is not needed long term for a retooling club.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
he only makes sense if the Flames receive an asset and are committed to giving him a top 6 role to pump his stats up in order to flip him for more assets at the deadline. He is not needed long term for a retooling club.
Completely disagree. Jeannot makes sense if the asset to take him right now is fair compensation for paying his full salary for one more year. There is no requirement for him to be flipped at the deadline for that kind of deal to make sense. Like, if you can get a 2nd from Tampa to eat his salary with no commitment to the player beyond next year, that makes sense to me.

1. He expires at the end of next year - there is no obligation to have him around for a retool if he can’t be flipped
2. There will be an abundance of cap space for next year - it will be incredibly easy to manage the cap, even with $2.6m committed to Jeannot
3. Besides Pospisil, there is literally 0 pushback consistently from anyone on the roster. Having Jeannot around for that can’t hurt

If you could flip him at the deadline, great - but that would be considered gravy. Even without being able to do so, there’s a very strong case to be made that it would be a solid move for where this team is at

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hi all.

Curious if 11th overall for Blake Coleman straight up would get a yay or nay from Flames fans?

My prediction would be Sabres fans on here hating it, but it does make some sense.

Thanks.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Hi all.

Curious if 11th overall for Blake Coleman straight up would get a yay or nay from Flames fans?

My prediction would be Sabres fans on here hating it, but it does make some sense.

Thanks.
I think anyone that says no should be committed to the psych ward

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Hi all.

Thanks.

I'm not sure the Sabres would make it onto Coleman's 10 team trade list. I'd be willing to do it though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd be willing to add a non-1st to get that done. Love Blake but team needs to look 3-4 years into the future.

I'd do the Van 1st even, really without question.
28+Coleman for 11 overall would be a solid acquisition for us.

Coleman is a great player, but we're no where near contending by the time he's up.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'd do the Van 1st even, really without question.
28+Coleman for 11 overall would be a solid acquisition for us.

Coleman is a great player, but we're no where near contending by the time he's up.
I'd rather not lose Coleman, I think he's a solid player, who wants to be here, but if he has value enough to bring in a high first, at this point you have to look at it. But does his NMC exist right now, or does it kick in July 1?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'd rather not lose Coleman, I think he's a solid player, who wants to be here, but if he has value enough to bring in a high first, at this point you have to look at it. But does his NMC exist right now, or does it kick in July 1?

He has a full NTC until July 1, then it becomes a modified No Trade Clause, with ten teams he cannot be moved to without waiving.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He has a full NTC until July 1, then it becomes a modified No Trade Clause, with ten teams he cannot be moved to without waiving.
Ok ya, I was unsure if it was a 10 team list now, or after Jul 1.
I would still be quite squeamish to trade Coleman. He with Kadri, and Weegar are quality players that seem to want to be in Calgary for their careers.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Is this rumour coming from Buffalo or this is a purely hypothetical wishful thinking?

I am on the edge, but Coleman was one of a very few soldiers on this team last season and my personal MVP.

This team needs drivers like Coleman and even though I liked the idea initially... Nah, keep Blake the snake, the Texas Tiger.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad