OT: Music discussion thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
A note on Linkin Park, and this is just my personal opinion:

Faith No More, especially Patton's FNM is the "father" of good rap "metal" while Linkin Park is the last good rap "metal" band. But I don't slap the NU Metal label on either of these guys...they're not just turning the 6 string down low, they're not trying to sound like Limp Bizkit...IMHO they are both way better than LB.

To me it's full circle on that movement.
I loved Chocolate Starfish, a truly great album IMO but other than that Limp Bizkit struggled to put together a coherent album. Linken Park are different and definitely have a better body of work.

I’m also listening to a bit of Papa Roach atm.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I loved Chocolate Starfish, a truly great album IMO but other than that Limp Bizkit struggled to put together a coherent album. Linken Park are different and definitely have a better body of work.

I’m also listening to a bit of Papa Roach atm.

My tastes go all over the place. I like the big thrash metal bands, I like 80s post-punk/new wave, I have huge collections of Cocteau Twins, The Sundays and other female vocal acts, I have a ton of songs in Japanese (I’m not). My fave DJ/producer is BT… If I keep writing, I’ll break the char limit. But I collect CDs and have music from every decade since the 50s plus a few classical ones. I stopped counting once I passed 5000, which was like over 10 years ago.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm surprised Perry Farrell is still around in 2024. I thought drugs would have taken him a couple decades ago by now. He seems on borrowed time. Then again, maybe he'll be like Keith Richards and be a walking dead outlasting others into his 80s.
Early Jane's was so great.

Reactions: Reaper45

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
A note on Linkin Park, and this is just my personal opinion:

Faith No More, especially Patton's FNM is the "father" of good rap "metal" while Linkin Park is the last good rap "metal" band. But I don't slap the NU Metal label on either of these guys...they're not just turning the 6 string down low, they're not trying to sound like Limp Bizkit...IMHO they are both way better than LB.

To me it's full circle on that movement.
Mike Patton would berate you for calling Linkin Park "good."

I wouldn't say FNM is Nu Metal, but Linkin Park certainly would be (initially when they first came out).

Reactions: Buddy The Elf

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
My music tastes go all over like most here. Thought I'd throw Rise Against out there too, at least their earlier stuff.
I was always turning to metal… my mum tried to raise me on Barry Manilow. :laugh:

To my shame, I can sing along to most of his pre 1990 catalogue.
My dad played mixed tapes when driving me to hockey practice and games. Manilow, Air Supply, etc. was part of his compilation.

Getting my mind amped up for the game was definitely an individual effort 😆

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Here's an open secret...many of the old time Kings fans are metal heads, especially those around the Gretzky era. Also not surprising at all is LA and CA being the key scene/s for many forms of hard rock/metal, especially from the 80s to 90s, once it left the US went to UK, then came back to the US. LA had the scene and the clubs. For example Metallica started in N Cal, then moved down to So Cal, Megadeth spun off and was made in LA, Slayer is OC.. All of that scene is counter culture to the hair metal that came from the Hollywood scene, etc. Even crossover kings Suicidal Tendencies is from LA (Venice Beach, various skateboarder/surfer scenes like Zephyr/Powell-Peralta.
I met Dave mustaine and Ricky rachtman as a kid at the forum in the 90s. They were both so cool to me and my friend i think it solidified my love for metal and hockey both.

Good times.

I mean, they're not janes recovery 🤣

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I met Dave mustaine and Ricky rachtman as a kid at the forum in the 90s. They were both so cool to me and my friend i think it solidified my love for metal and hockey both.

Good times.

Sounds cool! Do you mean LA Great Western Forum where the Kings and Lakers used to play? Or do you mean the metal convention, Foundations Forum?

Reactions: The Butcher

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Perry Farrell has always been a f***ing weirdo. I feel like demons and angst is what makes a lot of these dudes successful but it eventually eats them alive.

I have a huge music soundtrack and love. everything from Waylon Jennings, to Dire straits, to Too Short, to anything grunge, the so cal punk scene, to ska.

The good ones never see 30 it’s seems with few exception. Tortured. souls make the best music.

For the record. I hate Taylor Swift. Lol

Reactions: Schrute farms

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
About the only thing I don't listen to is modern country as all sounds far too manufactured and fake to me.

I grew up with mom's fairly expansive record collection at my disposal and that influenced most of my tastes. She had low-key great taste and it included stuff like The Faces, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple, and Jeff Beck Group as well as Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and the Stones and I just devoured those albums as a youngster.

Then in 5th grade I met one of my best friends, who was a kid who's family had just moved to Minnesota from Tennessee and he introduced me to rap music he had gotten from his brother, specifically dirty south hip hop. We used to, and still do on occasion drive around listening to Outkast's Southernplayalisticcadillacmusik at way too loud of volume.

Through the local skate shop in the 80s I got introduced to a lot of punk and ska and that also had a big influence on my tastes as well.

By the time I had income of my own I was already 100% on board with rap and punk that when nu-metal hit, it just felt like a natural progression of what I'd already been listening to.
But as long as we're taking about rap metal Downset is my favorite.
Downset is a criminally underrated band to this day. Just incredible mix of those two styles with socially aware lyrics. Amazing band.

Another nu-metal band I'd throw out as great is Nonpoint! Less rap/rock and more of a nu-metal tinged hardcore band, but they've been putting out great albums for the last 20ish years.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
About the only thing I don't listen to is modern country as all sounds far too manufactured and fake to me.

I grew up with mom's fairly expansive record collection at my disposal and that influenced most of my tastes. She had low-key great taste and it included stuff like The Faces, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple, and Jeff Beck Group as well as Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and the Stones and I just devoured those albums as a youngster.

Then in 5th grade I met one of my best friends, who was a kid who's family had just moved to Minnesota from Tennessee and he introduced me to rap music he had gotten from his brother, specifically dirty south hip hop. We used to, and still do on occasion drive around listening to Outkast's Southernplayalisticcadillacmusik at way too loud of volume.

Through the local skate shop in the 80s I got introduced to a lot of punk and ska and that also had a big influence on my tastes as well.

By the time I had income of my own I was already 100% on board with rap and punk that when nu-metal hit, it just felt like a natural progression of what I'd already been listening to.

Downset is a criminally underrated band to this day. Just incredible mix of those two styles with socially aware lyrics. Amazing band.

Another nu-metal band I'd throw out as great is Nonpoint! Less rap/rock and more of a nu-metal tinged hardcore band, but they've been putting out great albums for the last 20ish years.
I just don’t get ‘any’ country music. I’d rather listen to Taylor Swift. I just don’t get it in the slightest…. The enjoyment that is… it just sucks.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
A few years ago I had gone down the YouTube rabbit hole watching live performances and stumbled across Jane's addiction live at Mt baldy in 1990. I grew up in Claremont which is at the base of Mt Baldy so this blew my mind. Mt Baldy village was spared by the recent bridge fire btw.
Rhino Records was where I blew my meager paychecks in my teens and 20s. I remember when they had a smaller location in the Village before they moved a block down the street to a bigger location. It's been years since I've been there, though, and now I see that they moved to Montclair a couple of years ago. Shame.

As an aside, I would always hit Espiau's when I was in that area because the salad, chips and salsa were amazing. I used to go to the original location in Pomona when I was a kid.

I got into punk music from skate/snowboard videos in the early 90's. It was breath of fresh air. I loved rock and metal as a kid but the relatability of punk music was very appealing. I was watching an interview with Brett Gurewitz the other day on YouTube and he was talking about how punk became synonymous with skate/surf/snow culture. Apparently in the early 90's Kelly Slater had contacted him asking him if he could put Bad Religion in surf video and how much it would cost. He told him he could play as much as he wanted for free. Shortly after all kinds of band from other labels were showing up on all kinds of board sport videos which had a huge impact on the popularity which ended up making it mainstream when Offspring and Green Day became huge.

Two of my favorite bands are Rocket from the Crypt and Quicksand which both were on TB2 "A New Way of Thinking" which was a snowboarding film released in 1992.

Rhino Records was where I blew my meager paychecks in my teens and 20s. I remember when they had a smaller location in the Village before they moved a block down the street to a bigger location. It's been years since I've been there, though, and now I see that they moved to Montclair a couple of years ago. Shame.

As an aside, I would always hit Espiau's when I was in that area because the salad, chips and salsa were amazing. I used to go to the original location in Pomona when I was a kid.

Yeah, I was lucky to grow up in the gold mine that is/was Rhino Records. I didn't even know they moved until I randomly drove past it about 6 months ago while driving to my Mom's house in Upland. I haven't been to the new location yet. I did go to the location in Claremont a few times before COVID and bought a few records. Glad they are still around but sad to see them leave Claremont.

One of my childhood friends' parents owned Espiau's and the Danson when I was a kid. Espiau's is still open in what used to be the Danson in Claremont. I haven't been there in ages.

Reactions: shuchukfan

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Two of my favorite bands are Rocket from the Crypt and Quicksand which both were on TB2 "A New Way of Thinking" which was a snowboarding film released in 1992.
Nice. I'm in the process of ripping all my CDs to FLAC and I just came across a 1992 sampler of San Diego bands called Head Start to Purgatory. It has two early tracks by them on it: Nail Biter and Battery Licker. I have boxes and boxes of CDs, so it's been nice to revisit some titles that I forgot I had.

Nice. I'm in the process of ripping all my CDs to FLAC and I just came across a 1992 sampler of San Diego bands called Head Start to Purgatory. It has two early tracks by them on it: Nail Biter and Battery Licker. I have boxes and boxes of CDs, so it's been nice to revisit some titles that I forgot I had.
Drive Like Jehu is another favorite as is anything john reis and rick froberg related. Pinback is another favorite and heavy vegetable was on TB3 which is where I discovered them.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I got into punk music from skate/snowboard videos in the early 90's. It was breath of fresh air. I loved rock and metal as a kid but the relatability of punk music was very appealing. I was watching an interview with Brett Gurewitz the other day on YouTube and he was talking about how punk became synonymous with skate/surf/snow culture. Apparently in the early 90's Kelly Slater had contacted him asking him if he could put Bad Religion in surf video and how much it would cost. He told him he could play as much as he wanted for free. Shortly after all kinds of band from other labels were showing up on all kinds of board sport videos which had a huge impact on the popularity which ended up making it mainstream when Offspring and Green Day became huge.

The old …Lost videos were my favorite in high school. All the sublime songs that never made it in the radio. Roots of creation and don’t push.

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.

I saw Me First and the Gimme Gimmes last year sometime and the guitar player looked familiar. I did some googling when I got home and figured out it was Speedo from Rocket from the Crypt. RFTC are one of those bands thats music still holds up, Quicksand too now that you mention them.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I saw Me First and the Gimme Gimmes last year sometime and the guitar player looked familiar. I did some googling when I got home and figured out it was Speedo from Rocket from the Crypt. RFTC are one of those bands thats music still holds up, Quicksand too now that you mention them.
So you recognized like the least famous member of the Gimme Gimmes?! :laugh:

I think he was the only one who's other band I wasn't familiar with. I'll have to check them out.

Yeah, I was watching some of the quinceanera video and saw him there. I was totally bummed to miss them! They played here a few weeks ago at the HOB in Anaheim but I couldn't make it. I'm not sure if he's still playing with them. But that was super cool! The Gimme Gimmes are such a fun show. It never gets old.

Back to Quicksand, a few years ago when they toured right after COVID they had Stephen Brodsky playing guitar. Cave In is another one of my favorite bands so having him play with Quicksand was awesome for me! IMO Cave In is a band that never got the credit they deserved. Such a wide range of styles and sounds through the years. Their latest album (Heavy Pendulum) is a friggin masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

So you recognized like the least famous member of the Gimme Gimmes?! :laugh:

I think he was the only one who's other band I wasn't familiar with. I'll have to check them out.

Check out Rocket From The Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, Pitchfork, Hot Snakes, The Night Marchers and The Sultans to get the full John Reis (Speedo) experience! The guy is a legend and probably one of the hardest working musicians in the underground scene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad