Speculation: Arizona only has 5 players signed for next season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Arizona Coyotes Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I like Armstrong and it will be interesting what they do with their space. They have made it clear that they are doing a full rebuild and for the next 3 years they are collecting picks. With so much cap space--it will be interesting to see what Armstrong and co do to capitalize on the fact they have lots of space when so many teams are tight against the cap. Looking at what they have done so far--if you want to move a bad contract? You giving them a pick in the first 3 rounds.

My guess they will take on contracts with 2 years or less where the physical money is less than that of the cap hit.

What teams do you guys see trading with Arizona to try free up cap space on their team--but adding picks to Arizona?

Reactions: Primary Assist

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
They have 7 signed with Schmaltz and Timmins. They also have 8 RFAs needing to be resigned. They'll have a ton of cap space, but they do have some players on their books as well.

Reactions: banks and Stubu

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
At this point it must be hard to be a Yotes fan. You just listed the problem with this team. Cap constraints. Dump talent when they are to get paid.

Year after year rinse and repeat. Move out the main quality talent for futures. The bring in bloated contracts of depth over the hill guys. Along with high cap hit contracts but minimal actual salary for the players.

Like how do they really expect to build a contender in the desert or even a playoff tram recycling and repeating this blueprint.

I know Bettman doesn't want to admit or dismantle but how many more years of it can they afford to take.

Like I not a fan of the team but I've been wanting to see them be successful from the earlier years when they had like Doan / Morris and such. The fans are passionate there especially when competitive. I remember the huge whiteout in those playoff runs.

Like this team is so far from that. Even if they draft amazing. Do you really think the organization is keeping them based when they want their huge 8yr loaded deal. Probably not.

Like 5 players for next season is crazy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
They have 7 signed with Schmaltz and Timmins. They also have 8 RFAs needing to be resigned. They'll have a ton of cap space, but they do have some players on their books as well.

I was looking at their RFAs --3 of them on D are Mayo, Dineen and Capobianco are all playing for their NHL lives. Same up front with guys like Hayton and Fasching. There are a lot of whispers they are trying to move Crouse for either a 1st or a 2nd and 4th. Christian Fisher is another RFA who would not make 1/2 the teams in the league.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
At this point it must be hard to be a Yotes fan. You just listed the problem with this team. Cap constraints. Dump talent when they are to get paid.

Year after year rinse and repeat. Move out the main quality talent for futures. The bring in bloated contracts of depth over the hill guys. Along with high cap hit contracts but minimal actual salary for the players.

Like how do they really expect to build a contender in the desert or even a playoff tram recycling and repeating this blueprint.

I know Bettman doesn't want to admit or dismantle but how many more years of it can they afford to take.

Like I not a fan of the team but I've been wanting to see them be successful from the earlier years when they had like Doan / Morris and such. The fans are passionate there especially when competitive. I remember the huge whiteout in those playoff runs.

Like this team is so far from that. Even if they draft amazing. Do you really think the organization is keeping them based when they want their huge 8yr loaded deal. Probably not.

It would be hard if the narrative you just described actually had truth to it. But it doesn’t. And it’s not.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I was looking at their RFAs --3 of them on D are Mayo, Dineen and Capobianco are all playing for their NHL lives. Same up front with guys like Hayton and Fasching. There are a lot of whispers they are trying to move Crouse for either a 1st or a 2nd and 4th. Christian Fisher is another RFA who would not make 1/2 the teams in the league.
I’d ignore those “whispers” haha.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Arizona Coyotes Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I like Armstrong and it will be interesting what they do with their space. They have made it clear that they are doing a full rebuild and for the next 3 years they are collecting picks. With so much cap space--it will be interesting to see what Armstrong and co do to capitalize on the fact they have lots of space when so many teams are tight against the cap. Looking at what they have done so far--if you want to move a bad contract? You giving them a pick in the first 3 rounds.

My guess they will take on contracts with 2 years or less where the physical money is less than that of the cap hit.

What teams do you guys see trading with Arizona to try free up cap space on their team--but adding picks to Arizona?
There was a recent interview with LeBrun in the Athletic where Armstrong confirmed the team would continue to leverage capspace for assets. He’s not going to stop until he’s found legitimate franchise players through the draft that are actually worth building a team around. Something the Coyotes haven’t been able to do this millennium.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
It would be hard if the narrative you just described actually had truth to it. But it doesn’t. And it’s not.
It's been pretty much what they've been doing. Taken on LTIR players for futures.

Trading OEL out for a bunch of dead weight players to fill the roster out capwise and salary wise.

I just find they have been ridiculous for awhile down there. Direction never seems to be priority 1. They can tell that to the media and such. This guys have been in a boat with 1 paddle circling. Now possibly sinking.

Like I've said I've watched them since I was a kid I always wanted to see them succeed. They just never seem to ever show signs they are going back to the old days trying to make deep playoff runs.

Like they acquired Hall. I thought that was going to help and they faltered down the stretch. Losing picks and stuff and I know it's not on the players that's just management and their stupidity with the cap they pulled.

This year looks like they are taking a huge step back rather than staying even middle of the pack.

I don't know it's in shambles. I hope for them to rebound.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I understand what Arizona is doing and if they do it right, they could be a killer team in a few years and this current era will be forgotten. For the 2022 draft they have 3 first rounders and 5 2nd rounders.
I don't want it to come off like crapping on the team. Like I said I hope they bounce back. Just they seemed to have futures on top of futures. Which is not a bad thing but at what point are they going to finally make the trek back. All those picks are nice. Just hope they draft them, get them developed and roll with them. Build a dynasty.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It's been pretty much what they've been doing. Taken on LTIR players for futures.

Trading OEL out for a bunch of dead weight players to fill the roster out capwise and salary wise.

I just find they have been ridiculous for awhile down there. Direction never seems to be priority 1. They can tell that to the media and such. This guys have been in a boat with 1 paddle circling. Now possibly sinking.

Like I've said I've watched them since I was a kid I always wanted to see them succeed. They just never seem to ever show signs they are going back to the old days trying to make deep playoff runs.

Like they acquired Hall. I thought that was going to help and they faltered down the stretch. Losing picks and stuff and I know it's not on the players that's just management and their stupidity with the cap they pulled.

This year looks like they are taking a huge step back rather than staying even middle of the pack.

I don't know it's in shambles. I hope for them to rebound.
I’m sorry but you haven’t been paying as close attention as you believe. This regime is the first that’s actually doing what’s needed to be done since 1999. The organization finally has a coherent plan with at least a chance of success. They have all the right people in place to see it through. Ownership claims to be committed to allowing it to be seen through. Execution and patience are all that remains (which is most of the equation, obviously). We’ll see.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don't want it to come off like crapping on the team. Like I said I hope they bounce back. Just they seemed to have futures on top of futures. Which is not a bad thing but at what point are they going to finally make the trek back. All those picks are nice. Just hope they draft them, get them developed and roll with them. Build a dynasty.
And just 15 months ago they had zero future. None. I wouldn’t use “finally” regarding this current group. They’ve moved at lightning speed. It’s really quite remarkable all that’s been done in such a short amount of time.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
There isn't any pick numbers engraved on Stanley Cup. It actually takes players. It is very very long way to go with Arizona and next time they are competitive, they most likely play in different location.

HFBoards overvalues picks over actual NHL players as usual. Anyway, they didn't got anywhere with the team they had so need to start rebuilding the core.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I’m sorry but you haven’t been paying as close attention as you believe. This regime is the first that’s actually doing what’s needed to be done since 1999. The organization finally has a coherent plan with at least a chance of success. They have all the right people in place to see it through. Ownership claims to be committed to allowing it to be seen through. Execution and patience are all that remains (which is most of the equation, obviously). We’ll see.

This is my view. The new owner and the GM look to be on the same page. I do not want to toss Chayka under all the buses, but while he maybe a smart guy and I am sure in his mind he had a plan. It just was not a good plan in how he tried to execute it. By the information I am reading, Chayka suffered from the disease of believing he was the smartest guy in the room. I understand the love some have for analytics. But it is not where everything wishes it was and hockey is developing how it relates how the game is played on the ice. I know the analytics community will come out the woodwork to say I am wrong. There is a spot for analytics but right now, no one in the analytics community had moved the dial like Billy Beane did with the A's. People want to believe they know everything about how to use analytics. But what Billy Beane brought to the table and is overlooked by many. He played 148 games in MLB and spent a lot of time working on his theory prior to getting hired by the A's as GM. I call it the theory vs reality of pro sports. Beane worked both sides. MLB vs NHL is individual vs team sports. AS we have seen with the Oilers, they have two of the best players on the planet but because hockey is more of a team sport--individual stats whether it be old school advance stats or analytics---only mean so much when comes to how the game on the ice is played.

Chayka is a smart person---he just did not understand certain aspects of the game

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Like, totally crazy for sure.

Reactions: Laus723

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There isn't any pick numbers engraved on Stanley Cup. It actually takes players. It is very very long way to go with Arizona and next time they are competitive, they most likely play in different location.

HFBoards overvalues picks over actual NHL players as usual. Anyway, they didn't got anywhere with the team they had so need to start rebuilding the core.

in the last 25 years. How many teams won the cup by building via the draft vs building through signing UFAS

Reactions: AZviaNJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad